Copyright fair play.....maybe NZ needs such a party....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Aug 5, 2006

  2. thingy

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,3574,00.asp
    >
    > Anybody want to join me?

    Yes - the copyright / patent thing has gone too far. The original idea
    AFAIK was to ensure that the artist / creator got a fair income for his
    work, and didn't lose out 'cos someone copied his work.
    But that's not where it is now. The benefit goes to big corporates and
    their lawyers. Why else would copyright extend for decades after the
    author's death?

    There is some interesting stuff written on this ...
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/policy/2002/08/15/lessig.html
    http://eldred.cc/

    Science and art progress because each person can build on the works of
    others, and take things a little bit further. The law pretends that
    inventions or art works are completely new and original, which of course
    was never the case. This approach is stiffling innovation, which in turn
    erodes the standard of living for everyone (except for those privileged
    few).

    But you'll need a better name than pirates party - sounds too criminal.
    What the real issue is, is freedom, freedom to innovate, freedom to create.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 5, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,3574,00.asp
    >>
    >>Anybody want to join me?

    > Yes - the copyright / patent thing has gone too far. The original idea
    > AFAIK was to ensure that the artist / creator got a fair income for his
    > work, and didn't lose out 'cos someone copied his work.
    > But that's not where it is now. The benefit goes to big corporates and
    > their lawyers. Why else would copyright extend for decades after the
    > author's death?
    >
    > There is some interesting stuff written on this ...
    > http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329
    > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/policy/2002/08/15/lessig.html
    > http://eldred.cc/
    >
    > Science and art progress because each person can build on the works of
    > others, and take things a little bit further. The law pretends that
    > inventions or art works are completely new and original, which of course
    > was never the case. This approach is stiffling innovation, which in turn
    > erodes the standard of living for everyone (except for those privileged
    > few).
    >
    > But you'll need a better name than pirates party - sounds too criminal.
    > What the real issue is, is freedom, freedom to innovate, freedom to create.
    >

    > Peter

    Think like kids though....tell them a coke is bad and ban it and they
    will buy more! Ditto smoking, its rebellion.....and....the name is
    working in Sweden!

    The pirate party would appeal to those especially younger who are sick
    of seeing fat cats living off them and want to finger the establishment,
    the name does that IMHO.

    Lets face it looking at the report on the parlimentary money spent on
    electionering this morning in Stuff and its just more fat cats....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 5, 2006
  4. thingy

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 22:22:45 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Yes - the copyright / patent thing has gone too far. The original idea
    > AFAIK was to ensure that the artist / creator got a fair income for his
    > work, and didn't lose out 'cos someone copied his work.

    No, that is incorrect.

    The original idea of copyright was to protect publishers. This is why it is
    called 'copyright' - the right to copy. It's not called 'authorright'...

    Authors back then were seldom payed or payed poorly. In this, nothing much
    has changed - only the famous creators of works command a fair deal.
    Everyone else is a resource to be exploited.

    The biggest lie in this debate is that it is for the authors. It never has
    been. It'll all about the publishers, distributors - they do not give a
    rats arse about the authors, never have done, but they say they do because
    their marketing psychologists told them this will shame people into
    supporting their outdated business models.

    The same is true for Patents: They do not protect the inventors, because
    the big corporations have thousands of silly little patents any one of
    which you are BOUND to cross with your invention - the corps then sue you
    in Court for years until you are bankrupted, and buy the patent from the
    liquidator and use it against the next inventor.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #261501 +(5732)- [X]

    <jeebus> the "bishop" came to our church today
    <jeebus> he was a fucken impostor
    <jeebus> never once moved diagonally

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/08/2006 11:36:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Aug 10, 2006