    I dont agree.
    I think if you make a copy of any dvd if you dont own it then its non legal.
    Who is right ?

    stu, Oct 18, 2004

  2. stu

    Stan Brown Guest

    "stu" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I think if you make a copy of any dvd if you dont own it then its non legal.
    >Who is right ?

    You're both wrong, but you are nearer right. Actually, if you make a
    copy of a DVD it's illegal whether you own it or not. It's the
    COPYRIGHT owner's permission that matters, not the permission of the
    owner of the physical DVD.

    Tivo and other time shifting are legal if you record off the air to
    watch later. But a DVD already exists in physical medium, and it is
    a violation of copyright to make a copy of that without the
    copyright owner's permission.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

    Stan Brown, Oct 18, 2004

  3. stu

    Mike Kohary Guest

    stu wrote:
    > I have a question.
    > I recently traded a load of dvds to BLOCKBUSTER.
    > They are buying old movies at the moment for $8 a shot.
    > The manager told me that people are buying the previously viewed items
    > and making copies and then returning them.
    > When i said well that cant be legal.
    > She said yes it is.
    > She said if you sell the copies its not legal but making your own
    > copies for the use of time shifting like say TIVO where you want to
    > watch the movie in your own time is legal.
    > I dont agree.
    > I think if you make a copy of any dvd if you dont own it then its non
    > legal. Who is right ?

    Her perspective is a common misconception, but she's 100% wrong, and you're
    100% right.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 18, 2004
  4. stu

    luminos Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "stu" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>I think if you make a copy of any dvd if you dont own it then its non
    >>legal.
    >>Who is right ?

    > You're both wrong, but you are nearer right. Actually, if you make a
    > copy of a DVD it's illegal whether you own it or not. It's the
    > COPYRIGHT owner's permission that matters, not the permission of the
    > owner of the physical DVD.
    >
    > Tivo and other time shifting are legal if you record off the air to
    > watch later. But a DVD already exists in physical medium, and it is
    > a violation of copyright to make a copy of that without the
    > copyright owner's permission.

    This is not precisely correct. Although the Digital Millenium Copyright
    Act states that you cannot circumvent the copy protection, in Section 4 C it
    also states that fair use will not be infringed. This is a catch-22 that is
    still in the courts.

    However, it is absolutely illegal to copy anything rented or bought and then
    the original sold and the copy retained (or the copy sold). If you buy
    something and copy it and then sell the original, the copy MUST be destroyed
    before selling. This, of course, is why the industry is up in arms...people
    do this and it is really not verifiable that the copy is destroyed.

    luminos, Oct 18, 2004