    what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    through?
    -Rich

    RichA, Feb 16, 2005

  2. RichA

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:45:53 -0500, RichA <> wrote:

    >What are people using to archive their VHS
    >tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    >DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    >what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    >through?

    I use a VCR/DVD recorder combo. I wouldn't want to try it on the
    computer, but may eventually get a burner so I can do some fancier
    editing.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Feb 16, 2005

  3. RichA

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:45:53 -0500, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >What are people using to archive their VHS
    > >tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    > >DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    > >what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    > >through?

    > I use a VCR/DVD recorder combo. I wouldn't want to try it on the
    > computer, but may eventually get a burner so I can do some fancier
    > editing.
    >

    > -
    > -Jon Purkey - <)
    > For a quicker reply by email please use the
    > address found here: http://tinyurl.com/o8ka

    Isn't macrovision a problem with those combo units?

    theyak, Feb 17, 2005
  4. RichA

    krf Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:43:48 -0500, ng_reader wrote:

    > "theyak" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > I use a VCR/DVD recorder combo. I wouldn't want to try it on the
    >> > computer, but may eventually get a burner so I can do some fancier
    >> > editing.
    >> >

    >> > -
    >> > -Jon Purkey - <)
    >> > For a quicker reply by email please use the address found here:
    >> > http://tinyurl.com/o8ka
    >> >

    >> Isn't macrovision a problem with those combo units?

    > Yes, but not for home videos.

    Unfortunately, macrovision can be a problem for homemade videos. Doesn't
    have to be, but sometime is.

    Apparently what happens is that a VCR video stream that is not
    fairly good can trigger the macrovision guardian in the receiving unit. I
    have had particular problems with ATI capture cards in trying to convert
    completely legal and totally homemade VCR tapes. Some weren't very good
    and apparently the little big brother in the driver decided I was trying
    to cheat Hollywood out of their share of my creations.

    I have also had the problem on a non-pc dvd burner, but nowhere near as
    often as when using the Ati cards.

    Change to a Happauge card to avoid the problem if you are using a PC for
    conversion.

    Krf

    krf, Feb 17, 2005
  5. RichA

    ng_reader Guest

    ng_reader, Feb 17, 2005
  6. RichA

    jason b Guest

    RichA wrote:

    >What are people using to archive their VHS
    >tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    >DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    >what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    >through?
    >-Rich

    Most people use a device called a capture card. It's a separate card
    and can include a video chip so you don't need a vid card, or sometimes
    they don't have a video chip so you still need your card. YOu plug your
    decive (VCR, camcorder, Hi8, satellite signal) into the back of the
    card. Try googling video capture or something like that.

    jason

    --
    ((¯`'·.¸(¯`'·.((¯`'·.¸ * jason bean* ¸.·'´¯))¸.·'´¯)¸.·'´¯))

    For me , said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine bottle,"
    and he reached his hand up for it.

    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jabean
    http://musicpage.kicks-ass.org/

    jason b, Feb 17, 2005
  7. RichA

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:14 GMT, theyak <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:45:53 -0500, RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >What are people using to archive their VHS
    >> >tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    >> >DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    >> >what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    >> >through?

    >> I use a VCR/DVD recorder combo. I wouldn't want to try it on the
    >> computer, but may eventually get a burner so I can do some fancier
    >> editing.
    >>

    >Isn't macrovision a problem with those combo units?

    It is for some commercial tapes, but surprisingly there are quite a
    few of them (more than 50%) that the Panasonic unit I have will copy.
    I can also copy all the tapes I've recorded over the past 15 years.

    When I get around to copying the tapes it won't copy I can still hook
    up a second VCR and macrovision stripper.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Feb 17, 2005
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:59:15 -0500, Jon Purkey <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:45:53 -0500, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >>What are people using to archive their VHS
    >>tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    >>DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    >>what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    >>through?

    >I use a VCR/DVD recorder combo. I wouldn't want to try it on the
    >computer, but may eventually get a burner so I can do some fancier
    >editing.

    I've tried two different computer-based solutions and neither work
    very well at all. Huge numbers of dropped frames and compression
    models produce trash results.
    -Rich

    RichA, Feb 17, 2005
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:05:19 -0500, jason b
    <> wrote:

    >RichA wrote:
    >
    >>What are people using to archive their VHS
    >>tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    >>DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    >>what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    >>through?
    >>-Rich
    >>

    > Most people use a device called a capture card. It's a separate card
    >and can include a video chip so you don't need a vid card, or sometimes
    >they don't have a video chip so you still need your card. YOu plug your
    >decive (VCR, camcorder, Hi8, satellite signal) into the back of the
    >card. Try googling video capture or something like that.
    >
    > jason

    I think that's what I'd need. The dataflow is way too much from a
    VHS tape for my video card or my TV card to handle, results are poor.
    -Rich

    RichA, Feb 17, 2005
  10. RichA

    Bob Adams Guest

    In message <>, RichA
    <> writes
    >What are people using to archive their VHS
    >tapes? Do they use mostly computer-based
    >DVD recorders or stand-alones? If computer-based,
    >what card do you feed your audio-video signals
    >through?
    >-Rich

    I use a Leadtek TV2000 capture card to capture the VHS analogue to 1Gb
    mpg files on the PC. Then TMPGenc DVD Author to convert to PAL DVD
    format and edit out any unwanted frames. DVDshrink to compress the files
    to fit a 4.5Gb DVD and Nero to burn the result.

    Quality is variable and may involve some trial and error but overall it
    is satisfactory. Sound synch can be a major problem but I use VideoReDo
    to sort this out.

    HTH.

    Bob.

    --