    I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to accomplish this with the least expense..

    Thanks in advance.

    Sam

    Sammy bin Snoozin, Oct 25, 2007

  2. PS -- I know nothing about the interconnecting hardware/cables or software.

    I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.

    Sammy bin Snoozin, Oct 25, 2007

  3. "Sammy bin Snoozin" <> wrote in message

    > I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get

    into my computer as MP3 or > some other common video format.

    > I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC,

    etc. I would appreciate
    > hearing what others have done to accomplish this with the least expense..

    Several vendors offer software with documentations. I use
    the one from www.magix.de
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Oct 25, 2007
  4. Sammy bin Snoozin

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Sammy bin Snoozin" <> wrote in message
    I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get into
    my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.

    I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC,
    etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to accomplish this
    with the least expense..

    Thanks in advance.

    Sam

    First, a basic understanding of video and audio should
    include the knowledge that MP3 is a common audio
    format, not video.

    Second, you will need some hardware to capture your
    analog video signal and digitize it. What hardware you
    will need depends on the format you want to work with
    on your PC.

    You could look through the Capture listing on:

    www.videohelp.com

    In my opinion VHS source video benefits little from
    capture to DV25, so you might as well capture it to
    DVD compliant MPEG. Most of the economical
    editing programs will handle MPEG, now.

    www.ulead.com www.magix.com

    for example.

    Standalone DVD Recorders have become very cheap,
    so you can easily connect your VCR to one and make a
    DVD-RW disk to bring the video to your PC for editing.
    This will "Copy" your VHS to a Digital Format, DVD
    Compliant MPEG.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Oct 25, 2007
  5. Thanks, Ken & Don!

    Sammy bin Snoozin, Nov 5, 2007
  6. I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to

    Sammy bin Snoozin, Nov 10, 2007
  7. Sammy bin Snoozin

    Unique Guest

    Sammy bin Snoozin <> wrote in message:
    vfpZi.353$Y32.120@trnddc04,

    > I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to
    > get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.
    >
    > I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio,
    > PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to
    > accomplish this with the least expense..
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Sam

    I've had better quality with stand-alone equipment; VHS player fed into
    a DVD recorder and then copy it to the computer. But if you must go
    straight to the computer then you buy a PCI video capture card or box
    that inputs through a USB port.

    Unique, Nov 11, 2007
  8. "Unique" <> wrote in message
    > Sammy bin Snoozin <> wrote in

    message:
    > vfpZi.353$Y32.120@trnddc04,
    >
    > > I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like

    > > get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.
    > >
    > > I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video,

    audio,
    > > PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to
    > > accomplish this with the least expense..
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Sam

    > I've had better quality with stand-alone equipment; VHS player fed

    into
    > a DVD recorder and then copy it to the computer. But if you must go
    > straight to the computer then you buy a PCI video capture card or

    box
    > that inputs through a USB port.

    Thanks, good advice. I'll hook up a DVD recorder. Once I get it on
    DVD, how would I upload it to a website or send by email? Are there
    proprietary formats for DVD files to avoid?

    Sam

    Sammy bin Snoozin, Nov 12, 2007