  1. Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
    tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
    start with this one. Many thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?=, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Julia,

    The only thing I can think of is to install a video card in your computer
    wth TV video in/out capabilities. With this card, it will allow you to
    convert a analog signal in a digital signal and record the file on your hard
    drive. I use a ATI video card but I found out (...the hard way) that
    Microsoft does not support this software in Windows XP, but 98 or Millennium
    does work.

    Microsoft is supporting their own version of these software to monopolize
    the market but they have unsuccessful with their product. If you should
    install a third-party video card, just make sure it is Windows XP compatible.
    If it is not, then maybe (...just maybe) you may want to create a dual-boot
    on your computer with Windows 98 or Millennium.

    You will need the third-party software to convert the file to a DVD format.
    You will have to check their product to see if it offers that type of
    conversion.

    Good Luck!

    =?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueQ==?=, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Julia,

    ADS Technologies makes a device that can connect VCRs, cameras, etc. to your
    USB port. It comes with software to make it all work. I can't think of what
    it's called but it costs about $80 or so. You might be able to find it on
    eBay for a lot less.

    Russell

    =?Utf-8?B?UnVzc2VsbA==?=, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Julia,
    I use a Dazzle digital video creator 120 made by Pinacle Systems. It is an
    Analog video capture device the plugs into your USB port. It has the standard
    red, white and yellow input jacks and comes with video editing and DVD
    burning software.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Mar 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?=

    J. Clarke Guest

    Julia wrote:

    > Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
    > tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
    > start with this one. Many thanks

    Many ways to do this.

    Some digital camcorders have analog inputs and can recode the signal to
    digital which is sent out on the Firewire port--if you have a digital
    camcorder that has this feature (all of them don't) then this would be the
    best way to go unless you have the budget for pro equipment. You might
    have to spend $30 or so for a Firewire board.

    A substitute for a digital camcorder would be a Canopus ADVC-100 or 110, but
    it's not a lot cheaper than a camcorder.

    There are other, cheaper devices that work, but the quality of the transfer
    will usually be lower.

    You can also add a video capture board to your machine--there are many on
    the market, some cheap, some expensive--the cheap ones will use the CPU to
    do most of the work and will drop frames or produce other artifacts if your
    CPU is not super fast, the more expensive ones have hardware encoder chips
    that eliminate this problem but restrict you to the encodings implemented
    in the hardware in the chip, which is likely not optimal for DVD recording.

    For $400 or so you can get a standalone device that will transfer VHS tapes
    to DVD.

    You might want to do a little more research and then post questions on
    rec.video.desktop, which is a newsgroup dedicated to video editing and
    production using PCs. You'll find real expertise there (and also a lot of
    idiots and trolls unfortunately).

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate