    biased opinions about which software I should buy.

    Any assistance greatfully received.

    PETER
    Peter Arnold, Dec 27, 2003

  2. "Peter Arnold" <> wrote in message
    news:V%mHb.427$...

    You should be able to do this just fine with free software such as DVD
    Shrink.

    Except you may need soething like NERO to avtually work the DVD burner.

    --

    Brian Gregory (In the UK).
    Brian Gregory [UK], Dec 27, 2003

  3. Peter Arnold

    - Robert - Guest

    > Except you may need soething like NERO to avtually work the DVD burner.

    unless you will use other free tool like ImgTool. It will burn directly
    without Nero. You just need ASPI installed.

    See at www.dvdrhelp.com.

    Rgrds

    Rob
    - Robert -, Dec 27, 2003
  4. AnyDVD + CloneDVD
    or
    DVDShrink + Nero
    or
    DVDShrink + ImgToolBurn

    www.dvdrhelp.com

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

    of
    > my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
    >
    > Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

    was
    > the dogs danglies, however I started to notice some critical comments on
    > non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

    non

    Cathy De Viney, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Peter Arnold

    HillBoy Guest

    Get DVD Decrypter for the rip & CloneDVD or Nero for the burn. DVD
    Decrypter also read/writes ISO image files.

    HillBoy, Dec 28, 2003
  6. "Peter Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

    of
    > my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
    >
    > Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

    was
    > the dogs danglies, however I started to notice some critical comments on
    > non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

    non
    > biased opinions about which software I should buy.
    >
    > Any assistance greatfully received.

    DVDShrink (FREE!) + Nero (you may already have it!)

    You do NOT need DVDDecrypter since DVDShrink both decrypts (removes copy
    protection, etc) and shrinks the video to fit on one blank DVD disk.

    As someone else mentioned: www.dvdrhelp.com is a great place to start and
    has additional links for more info.

    You will need to do some READING otherwise your initial results may be
    disappointing.

    Once you've made a few backups it gets easy using the tools mentioned
    earlier.

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.
    callsignviper, Dec 28, 2003
  7. - Robert - wrote:

    >unless you will use other free tool like ImgTool. It will burn directly
    >without Nero. You just need ASPI installed.

    Nope.

    There is ImgTool-Classic, which can _not_ burn. Then there is
    ImgTool-Burn which can of course burn, but needs an installed version
    of Nero to do so.

    Nevertheless you can combine ImgTool-Classic with DVDDecrypter (also
    Freeware) to burn your DVD's.
    Hans Schlager, Dec 28, 2003
  8. Peter Arnold wrote:

    >In short does anyone have any non
    >biased opinions about which software I should buy.

    Look here: http://mrbass.org/dvdshrink

    Scroll down a bit until you read 'AutoShrinkISO 1.6'. Here the author
    describes how to make backups of Video-DVD's using _only_ Freeware.
    It's very easy.
    Hans Schlager, Dec 28, 2003
  9. Peter Arnold

    Skid Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

    of
    > my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
    >
    > Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

    was
    > the dogs danglies,

    Unless you want to lick what the dog licks, don't waste your money. That
    program is a crippled and bug-riddled piece of tripe. It is marketed at
    newbies who hope for one-click simplicity. But it doesn't work as
    advertised, and there are freeware apps that do a better job.

    >however I started to notice some critical comments on
    > non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

    non
    > biased opinions about which software I should buy.

    Yes. Don't buy anything. DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5 is freeware that will remove
    copy protection and region coding, and compress a dual-layer DVD to fit a
    single disc. You'll find it, and guides on using it, at www.dvdrhelp.com

    You'll still need an app to burn the resulting files. What came with your
    drive? If Nero or RecordNow, you're set. If not, you can find freeware tools
    at the above site.

    Here's one guide on that approach:

    http://www.short-media.com/article.php?101.0
    Skid, Dec 28, 2003
  10. Peter Arnold

    hanz Guest

    Can it put chapter headings on the dvd??/

    Hanz

    hanz, Dec 28, 2003
  11. Peter Arnold

    Skid Guest

    "hanz" <> wrote in message
    > Can it put chapter headings on the dvd??/

    That's a different question. If you make a direct copy of a commercial DVD,
    which is what the OP was trying to do, it will have the same menus and
    chapter stops as the original.

    If you are authoring a DVD, say from your camcorder, you can find software
    that will add menus, chapters and titles, etc. See www.dvdrhelp.com
    Skid, Dec 28, 2003
  12. Peter Arnold

    Some Dude Guest

    A quick note:

    Nero will *not* directly burn DVD's. (e.g. encrypted dvd copies).
    (will spit out a "this dvd is copywrited" message)

    Also, most DVD's are encryptd with css so you'll need to rip it first.

    Some Dude, Dec 28, 2003
  13. Some Dude wrote:

    >Also, most DVD's are encryptd with css so you'll need to rip it first.

    Or use AnyDVD. It decrypts DVD's on the fly.
    Hans Schlager, Dec 28, 2003
  14. Peter Arnold

    Bexley Guest

    I've only done this once and expected a coaster fiasco nightmare. I went to
    dvdhelp.com, read a tutorial, d/led and installed DVD Descriptor (donate-ware).

    And it all went perfectly.

    Check out this article and the links.

    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvd5-backup.htm

    Hope this helps,