Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by rachid, May 16, 2006.

  1. rachid

    rachid Guest

    Hi there !

    There is something that I don't understand about DVD-Video.
    First let me tell you about my satellite card:
    My PCI satellite card recieves a MPEG-2 stream, when I tell it to
    record, it starts copying bits and bytes to my hard disk, when I tell
    it to stop, it stops, does a little funky things, and there I have a
    MPEG-2 files.
    No converting or anything, it's the same quality as it was originally.

    So second, I don't understand why I can't copy the MPEG-2 data from a
    DVD-Video disk.
    A DVD-Video disk has MPEG-2 data on it, stored in VOB files.
    Why can't I find any programs that can just dive into the VOB file and
    copy the MPEG-2 data to my hard disk ?

    Or am I just looking at the wrong software ?

    Hope someone can clarify this for me ! :)

    rachid, May 16, 2006

  2. rachid

    Biz Guest

    All the DVD rippers can do exactly what you asked about. Since VOB's
    contain streams, video, audio, and subpicture streams, they can be demuxed
    quite easily, then you just combine say the video and audio streams you want
    to get a perfect mpeg-2 file...

    Biz, May 17, 2006

  3. rachid

    rachid Guest

    All the DVD rippers I found so far can only do a conversion to other
    formats.
    Last program I tried was "#1 DVD Ripper SE", but again no luck.
    There are no options for raw copy, MPEG-2, or any similar name.

    Can you recommend a DVD ripper ?

    rachid, May 17, 2006
  4. rachid

    Netmask Guest

    "rachid" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there !
    >
    > There is something that I don't understand about DVD-Video.
    > First let me tell you about my satellite card:
    > My PCI satellite card recieves a MPEG-2 stream, when I tell it to
    > record, it starts copying bits and bytes to my hard disk, when I tell
    > it to stop, it stops, does a little funky things, and there I have a
    > MPEG-2 files.
    > No converting or anything, it's the same quality as it was originally.
    >
    > So second, I don't understand why I can't copy the MPEG-2 data from a
    > DVD-Video disk.
    > A DVD-Video disk has MPEG-2 data on it, stored in VOB files.
    > Why can't I find any programs that can just dive into the VOB file and
    > copy the MPEG-2 data to my hard disk ?
    >
    > Or am I just looking at the wrong software ?
    >
    > Hope someone can clarify this for me ! :)

    You can just copy the VOB files straight into a mpeg editor like Womble,
    VideoRedo etc, join them up and output a single mpeg 2 file.

    You can even change the suffix from vob to mpg in many cases and play the
    file in WMP or VLC or Media Player Classic etc etc

    I'm assuming the vob files are non protected files. If they are from a
    commercial DVD then you will have to decrypt them first before you can copy
    them on to your hard disk.

    Netmask, May 17, 2006
  5. rachid

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:35:22 GMT, "Netmask"
    <> Gave us:

    >"rachid" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there !
    >>
    >> There is something that I don't understand about DVD-Video.
    >> First let me tell you about my satellite card:
    >> My PCI satellite card recieves a MPEG-2 stream, when I tell it to
    >> record, it starts copying bits and bytes to my hard disk, when I tell
    >> it to stop, it stops, does a little funky things, and there I have a
    >> MPEG-2 files.
    >> No converting or anything, it's the same quality as it was originally.
    >>
    >> So second, I don't understand why I can't copy the MPEG-2 data from a
    >> DVD-Video disk.
    >> A DVD-Video disk has MPEG-2 data on it, stored in VOB files.
    >> Why can't I find any programs that can just dive into the VOB file and
    >> copy the MPEG-2 data to my hard disk ?
    >>
    >> Or am I just looking at the wrong software ?
    >>
    >> Hope someone can clarify this for me ! :)
    >>

    >You can just copy the VOB files straight into a mpeg editor like Womble,
    >VideoRedo etc, join them up and output a single mpeg 2 file.
    >
    >You can even change the suffix from vob to mpg in many cases and play the
    >file in WMP or VLC or Media Player Classic etc etc
    >
    >I'm assuming the vob files are non protected files. If they are from a
    >commercial DVD then you will have to decrypt them first before you can copy
    >them on to your hard disk.

    Play it off a stick on my PSP! What a cool device!

    Roy L. Fuchs, May 20, 2006
  6. rachid

    yeltz Guest

    rachid wrote:
    > All the DVD rippers I found so far can only do a conversion to other
    > formats.
    > Last program I tried was "#1 DVD Ripper SE", but again no luck.
    > There are no options for raw copy, MPEG-2, or any similar name.
    >
    > Can you recommend a DVD ripper ?

    Search for DVDDecrypter (no longer being supported by the author). It
    will defeat copy protection from a commercial disc [although it may
    have issues with newer discs]

    You might also want to look at: DVDFab Express (Free Edition)

    If you want to also compress a DVD9 onto a DVD5, look at DVDShrink

    yeltz, May 22, 2006