Copying Problems XP (con't)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sittingduck, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. sittingduck

    sittingduck Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:

    > My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I
    > try to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I
    > get the following message.
    >
    > "Cannot create or replace <Folder>. The directory or file cannot
    > created."

    It could be a naming issue, illegal folder/file names. Google the exact error
    message for more clues.
    sittingduck, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Took advice with no positive result. Also checked MS with no result. Once
    again -

    My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I try
    to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I get the
    following message.

    "Cannot create or replace <Folder>. The directory or file cannot created."

    Any suggestions?

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    Luke O'Malley, Apr 19, 2007

  3. sittingduck

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:43:56 -0500, Luke O'Malley wrote:

    You had to start a new thread?

    >Took advice with no positive result. Also checked MS with no result. Once
    >again -
    >
    >My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I try
    >to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I get the
    >following message.

    Try the copy with the short names?

    Then again did you say the external was FAT32 before? That could be the
    issue, but I always use NTFS.

    Try the Microsoft newsgroups, you know like
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers

    why?, Apr 19, 2007
  4. sittingduck

    Rolf Guest

    "Luke O'Malley" <> skrev i melding
    > Took advice with no positive result. Also checked MS with no result. Once
    > again -
    >
    > My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I

    try
    > to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I get

    the
    > following message.
    >
    > "Cannot create or replace <Folder>. The directory or file cannot

    created."

    Certain that there are no hidden, read only or system files with the same
    name on the disk?

    Rolf, Apr 19, 2007