    before floppies become obsolite. I have gotten some transferred, but on
    others I get message that I cannot copy because directory or file cannot be
    created. Can anyone tell me what my trouble is and how to rectify it? Thanks
    SAW, Jul 7, 2007

  2. SAW wrote:
    > I am attempting to copy photos I have on some floppy discs to flash drive
    > before floppies become obsolite. I have gotten some transferred, but on
    > others I get message that I cannot copy because directory or file cannot be
    > created. Can anyone tell me what my trouble is and how to rectify it? Thanks

    I have seen flash drives that are similar to zip disks, they won't hold
    much in the root directory. You must create a subdirectory and then put
    files in it and it works fine.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 7, 2007

  3. SAW

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > SAW wrote:
    >> I am attempting to copy photos I have on some floppy discs to flash drive
    >> before floppies become obsolite. I have gotten some transferred, but on
    >> others I get message that I cannot copy because directory or file cannot
    >> be created. Can anyone tell me what my trouble is and how to rectify it?
    >> Thanks

    > I have seen flash drives that are similar to zip disks, they won't hold
    > much in the root directory. You must create a subdirectory and then put
    > files in it and it works fine.

    I seem to remember when DOS had a limit of 512 files or something in the
    root? That was back in the FAT16 days, and the Cruzer memory stick I have is
    also FAT16. So I bet you nailed that one.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 7, 2007
  4. SAW

    PC Kevorkian Guest

    SAW <> wrote in message
    <jxDji.11620$>...
    > I am attempting to copy photos I have on some floppy discs to flash
    > drive before floppies become obsolite. I have gotten some
    > transferred, but on others I get message that I cannot copy because
    > directory or file cannot be created. Can anyone tell me what my
    > trouble is and how to rectify it? Thanks

    This is a known bug. Format and reinstall.
    PC Kevorkian, Jul 7, 2007
  5. SAW

    Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> SAW wrote:
    >>> I am attempting to copy photos I have on some floppy discs to flash drive
    >>> before floppies become obsolite. I have gotten some transferred, but on
    >>> others I get message that I cannot copy because directory or file cannot
    >>> be created. Can anyone tell me what my trouble is and how to rectify it?
    >>> Thanks

    >> I have seen flash drives that are similar to zip disks, they won't hold
    >> much in the root directory. You must create a subdirectory and then put
    >> files in it and it works fine.

    >I seem to remember when DOS had a limit of 512 files or something in the
    >root? That was back in the FAT16 days, and the Cruzer memory stick I have is
    >also FAT16. So I bet you nailed that one.

    256 files in the root

    --
    THIS CD HAS BEEN POSSESSED BY THE DEVIL!!
    http://bash.org/?779288
  6. SAW

    Plato Guest

    SAW wrote:

    > I am attempting to copy photos I have on some floppy discs to flash drive
    > before floppies become obsolite. I have gotten some transferred, but on
    > others I get message that I cannot copy because directory or file cannot be
    > created. Can anyone tell me what my trouble is and how to rectify it? Thanks

    Format the flash drive in FAT32 at least.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 7, 2007
  7. SAW

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have seen flash drives that are similar to zip disks, they won't hold
    >>> much in the root directory. You must create a subdirectory and then put
    >>> files in it and it works fine.

    >>I seem to remember when DOS had a limit of 512 files or something in the
    >>root? That was back in the FAT16 days, and the Cruzer memory stick I have
    >>is
    >>also FAT16. So I bet you nailed that one.

    > 256 files in the root

    There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 7, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >>>I seem to remember when DOS had a limit of 512 files or something in the
    >>>root? That was back in the FAT16 days, and the Cruzer memory stick I have
    >>>is
    >>>also FAT16. So I bet you nailed that one.

    >> 256 files in the root
    >>

    > There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    don't just mean computer problems. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 7, 2007
  9. SAW

    Hal Clark Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 05:34:16 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> 256 files in the root
    >>>

    >> There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    > When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    > don't just mean computer problems. :)

    They call that the CRS disease. I'v had it for a long time.
    Hal Clark, Jul 7, 2007
  10. SAW

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> 256 files in the root
    >>>

    >> There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    > When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    > don't just mean computer problems. :)

    I think I'm getting there much too fast!

    WhzzKdd, Jul 7, 2007
  11. SAW

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Hal Clark" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 05:34:16 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>> There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    >> When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    >> don't just mean computer problems. :)

    > They call that the CRS disease. I'v had it for a long time.

    Had to laugh recently when the oldest guy in the office showed up with a new
    car - the three letters in his license plate read CRS! Believe me, he
    already had noticed <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 7, 2007
  12. SAW

    Fred Kasner Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    >> When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    >> don't just mean computer problems. :)
    >>

    > I think I'm getting there much too fast!

    Think you are worried about aging? Tomorrow I turn 81! Ths nasties of
    slow access to things I know quite well but can't dig out quickly is a
    real curse.
    FK
    Fred Kasner, Jul 7, 2007
  13. SAW

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    >>> don't just mean computer problems. :)
    >>>

    >> I think I'm getting there much too fast!
    >>

    > Think you are worried about aging? Tomorrow I turn 81! Ths nasties of slow
    > access to things I know quite well but can't dig out quickly is a real
    > curse.
    > FK

    Wow - 81. You've seen a LOT of history, Fred! Congrats and best wishes :)

    WhzzKdd, Jul 7, 2007
  14. Hal Clark wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 05:34:16 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>> There ya go - someone with a better memory than me <g>

    >> When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    >> don't just mean computer problems. :)

    > They call that the CRS disease. I'v had it for a long time.

    I'll bet you can remember your Senior Prom (or if not USan, some
    other major social event from your teens), but not where you put your
    keys or glasses. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 7, 2007
  15. Fred Kasner wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> When you reach a certain age, *everything* is a memory issue, and I
    >>> don't just mean computer problems. :)
    >>>

    >> I think I'm getting there much too fast!
    >>

    > Think you are worried about aging? Tomorrow I turn 81! Ths nasties of
    > slow access to things I know quite well but can't dig out quickly is a
    > real curse.

    Fred, my mother is 84 and she still gets mad because she tires out
    carrying her clubs on 18 holes. Has to ride in a damn cart. She looks
    like she could be someone's prom date instead of my mother. I'm quite
    sure I won't make it to 65, but there's no hope that 28 years from now
    I'll be playing 18 holes.

    Back a few years ago, the oldest woman known alive was a French woman
    that was 113 years old. Not such a big feat now, but then it was. A
    reporter asked her what was her secret to longevity. She said when she
    was 105 she quit smoking, that's why she's so healthy.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 7, 2007