    watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
    TIA
    Samuel

    Samuel, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Samuel

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Samuel wrote:

    > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
    > like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
    > watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
    > TIA

    Do you understand that by copying a photographer's photos without his
    permission you are stealing from him?

    You could always buy "copies" from the original photographer, yes?

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Samuel wrote:
    > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
    > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
    > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
    > back of the paper?
    > TIA
    > Samuel

    Gee, let's see. You want to copy something that is copy protected.
    Generally that is illegal and also thievery.

    How did you obtain the original? Can't you have additional prints made?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Samuel

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
    > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
    > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
    > back of the paper?
    > TIA
    > Samuel

    How do you shoplift while you are there?
    --
    "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

    Bob Hatch, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
    > > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
    > > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
    > > back of the paper?
    > > TIA
    > > Samuel

    > How do you shoplift while you are there?
    > --
    > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    > http://www.bobhatch.com

    No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones that
    cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    Samuel, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Samuel

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Samuel" <> wrote in message

    > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
    > that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.

    For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots that
    were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
    machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the yellow
    dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't know
    that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
    AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if they
    suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.

    Bob Hatch, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
    > > that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    > Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.
    >
    > For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots that
    > were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
    > machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the

    yellow
    > dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't

    know
    > that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
    > AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if they
    > suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.
    > --
    > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    > http://www.bobhatch.com

    Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart machines(and
    others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10 class photo of a
    friend and the machine did detect that the photo was protected. It then
    asked for a password that would permit the copy to be made. I am wondering
    what data it looks for as it needed a password from the store clerk to start
    the machine in the first place. Some sort of code within the photo I am
    guessing. Of coarse the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other
    photo. I was unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy
    adding this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
    curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a scanner.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Sam

    Samuel, Apr 4, 2004
  8. Samuel

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Samuel" <> wrote in message

    > Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart
    > machines(and others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10
    > class photo of a friend and the machine did detect that the photo was
    > protected. It then asked for a password that would permit the copy to
    > be made. I am wondering what data it looks for as it needed a
    > password from the store clerk to start the machine in the first
    > place. Some sort of code within the photo I am guessing. Of coarse
    > the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other photo. I was
    > unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy adding
    > this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
    > curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a
    > scanner.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Sam

    Like I said, I'm unaware of any current technology that does this, but I
    will call the owner of the lab I use on Monday and find out more.

    Bob Hatch, Apr 4, 2004
  9. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > > Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart
    > > machines(and others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10
    > > class photo of a friend and the machine did detect that the photo was
    > > protected. It then asked for a password that would permit the copy to
    > > be made. I am wondering what data it looks for as it needed a
    > > password from the store clerk to start the machine in the first
    > > place. Some sort of code within the photo I am guessing. Of coarse
    > > the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other photo. I was
    > > unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy adding
    > > this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
    > > curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a
    > > scanner.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Sam

    > Like I said, I'm unaware of any current technology that does this, but I
    > will call the owner of the lab I use on Monday and find out more.
    > --
    > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    > http://www.bobhatch.com

    Thanks Bob.

    Sam

    Samuel, Apr 4, 2004
  10. Samuel

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Samuel wrote:

    > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > > "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > > > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
    > > > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
    > > > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
    > > > back of the paper?
    > > > TIA
    > > > Samuel

    > > How do you shoplift while you are there?
    > > --
    > > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    > > http://www.bobhatch.com
    > >

    > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones that
    > cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    You might check into "digital watermarking", although I don't know if
    this is what you're looking for, or will do what you want.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Apr 4, 2004
  11. Samuel

    Neil Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Lisa Horton <> wrote:

    > Samuel wrote:
    > >
    > > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
    > > like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
    > > watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
    > > TIA

    > Do you understand that by copying a photographer's photos without his
    > permission you are stealing from him?
    >
    > You could always buy "copies" from the original photographer, yes?
    >
    > Lisa

    Walmart, if they spot you copying "professional" looking photos are
    "supposed" to stop you.

    I had to sign a release to make my own digital prints there a few weeks
    back and the manager was quite adamant they were on the ball about
    copyright issues etc. I actually didnt care if people want to copy the
    pics in this instance but i got a laugh at being made to "sign of" on my
    own work!

    Neil

    Neil Brown, Apr 4, 2004
  12. Samuel

    chibitul Guest

    In article <c4noh9$2jmqq7$-berlin.de>,
    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote:

    > "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
    > > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
    > > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
    > > back of the paper?
    > > TIA
    > > Samuel

    > How do you shoplift while you are there?

    what are you smoking dude?

    chibitul, Apr 4, 2004
  13. Samuel

    Jerry Guest

    Password Protect your Pictures/Photo's.
    That's all you have to do.
    Good Luck,

    Jerry

    Jerry, Apr 4, 2004
  14. Samuel

    Sampson Guest

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message

    > Samuel wrote:
    > >
    > > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > How do you shoplift while you are there?
    > > > --
    > > > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > > > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    > > > http://www.bobhatch.com
    > > >

    > > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones that
    > > cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    > You might check into "digital watermarking", although I don't know if
    > this is what you're looking for, or will do what you want.
    >
    > Lisa

    Thanks Lisa. I have been reading much about this, Google is a very close
    friend, but I have not yet found anything about the issue at hand. Mostly
    about protection from the web and tracking photo software. Very interesting
    how some can not be detected or removed. I am interested in how they could
    be read by software from a scanner. I am sure there is an answer somewhere.

    Sam

    Sampson, Apr 4, 2004
  15. Samuel

    Sampson Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Password Protect your Pictures/Photo's.
    > That's all you have to do.
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Jerry

    Ahhh sounds easy then. Is this an option in PS or PSP?

    Sam

    Sampson, Apr 4, 2004
  16. Samuel

    chibitul Guest

    In article <>,
    Lisa Horton <> wrote:

    > Samuel wrote:
    > >
    > > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
    > > like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
    > > watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
    > > TIA

    > Do you understand that by copying a photographer's photos without his
    > permission you are stealing from him?
    >
    > You could always buy "copies" from the original photographer, yes?
    >
    > Lisa

    Dear Lisa,

    I've read many of your posts and I respect your opinion as a
    photographer. I enjoyed reading your PMA report from Vegas a few months
    ago, but...

    My understanding on the issue is the following (and please note that
    English is not my native language):

    He wants to print (AT HOME ?) a photograph HE took, so that it cannot be
    copied with the machines at WalMart. In other words he is interested in
    PROTECTING his OWN work, not stealing someone else's work. At least that
    is how I saw it the first time I read the post.

    Ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty" concept?

    I do admit though that after reading your post (and a few other similar
    ones), I went back and read the original post so many times until I
    understand that the meaning can be interpreted the other way around.
    It's like a slippery slope that once you start one way (or another) you
    can finish reading without finding a conflict in the message. I guess
    it's like one of those weird pictures that some people see backwards
    (you know what I mean, those optical illusions).

    Anyway, don't cast the first stone until you understand why you're
    throwing stones at him...

    regards,
    chibitul

    chibitul, Apr 4, 2004
  17. Samuel wrote:
    > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    >> "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    >>> How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
    >>> WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
    >>> software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
    >>> back of the paper?
    >>> TIA
    >>> Samuel

    >> How do you shoplift while you are there?
    >> --
    >> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    >> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J.
    >> O'Rourke http://www.bobhatch.com
    >>

    > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
    > that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    Good. Sorry I don't know as I have very little that anyone would want
    to bother copying.

    We see far too many people who want to ignore copyrights. We tend to
    react based on experience.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 4, 2004
  18. Samuel

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Samuel wrote:

    > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Samuel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
    >>>that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    >>Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.
    >>
    >>For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots that
    >>were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
    >>machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the

    > yellow
    >
    >>dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't

    > know
    >
    >>that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
    >>AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if they
    >>suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.
    >>--
    >>"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    >>this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    >>http://www.bobhatch.com
    >>

    > Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart machines(and
    > others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10 class photo of a
    > friend and the machine did detect that the photo was protected. It then
    > asked for a password that would permit the copy to be made. I am wondering
    > what data it looks for as it needed a password from the store clerk to start
    > the machine in the first place. Some sort of code within the photo I am
    > guessing. Of coarse the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other
    > photo. I was unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy
    > adding this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
    > curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a scanner.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Sam

    Check Google for 'steganography'.
    Not sure this what they use, but it seems likely.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 4, 2004
  19. Samuel

    Sampson Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Samuel wrote:
    >
    > > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"Samuel" <> wrote in message

    > >>Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.
    > >>
    > >>For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots

    that
    > >>were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
    > >>machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the

    > > yellow
    > >
    > >>dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't

    > > know
    > >
    > >>that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
    > >>AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if

    they
    > >>suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.
    > >>--
    > >>"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > >>this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
    > >>http://www.bobhatch.com
    > >>

    > > Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart

    machines(and
    > > others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10 class photo of a
    > > friend and the machine did detect that the photo was protected. It then
    > > asked for a password that would permit the copy to be made. I am

    wondering
    > > what data it looks for as it needed a password from the store clerk to

    start
    > > the machine in the first place. Some sort of code within the photo I am
    > > guessing. Of coarse the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other
    > > photo. I was unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would

    enjoy
    > > adding this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
    > > curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a scanner.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Sam
    > >

    > Check Google for 'steganography'.
    > Not sure this what they use, but it seems likely.

    This came up many times in my searches but more of everything but the
    process I am looking for. Thanks

    Sampson, Apr 4, 2004
  20. Samuel

    Sampson Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Samuel wrote:
    > > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Samuel" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> How do you shoplift while you are there?
    > >> --
    > >> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    > >> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J.
    > >> O'Rourke http://www.bobhatch.com
    > >>

    > > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
    > > that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

    > Good. Sorry I don't know as I have very little that anyone would want
    > to bother copying.
    >
    > We see far too many people who want to ignore copyrights. We tend to
    > react based on experience.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Ya. I know that for sure. I have been in more than enough battles of the
    rights and wrongs that issue.

    Thanks

    Sampson, Apr 4, 2004