    happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my storage!

    Many thanks
    Dizzy, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Dizzy

    N Guest

    "Dizzy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and hope
    > someone can help.
    > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to take
    > to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to copy my
    > computer was busily copying them back into the same file. As I tried
    > to delete those copies it copied them again and then copied the
    > copies!
    > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my storage!
    >
    > Many thanks

    Some questions:

    What operating system are you using?

    Do you understand the difference between a folder and a file?

    What do you mean by "disc"; is this a CD or DVD or removable USB disc like a
    thumb drive?

    In your struggle to solve this, there is a chance you'll delete the lot, so
    be very careful when the advice starts flowing in.
    N, Sep 29, 2007

  3. Dizzy wrote:
    > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and hope
    > someone can help.
    > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to take
    > to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to copy my
    > computer was busily copying them back into the same file. As I tried
    > to delete those copies it copied them again and then copied the
    > copies!
    > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my storage!
    >
    > Many thanks

    What application were you using to copy the files to a disk? Do you mean a
    CD-Rom disk?

    To copy files to a cd-rom disk you mneed to have a "burning" application
    such as Roxio or Nero.

    "a disc" could mean anything!

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Sep 29, 2007
  4. Dizzy

    Dizzy Guest

    On 29 Sep, 10:29, "Dennis Pogson" <>
    wrote:
    > Dizzy wrote:
    > > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and hope
    > > someone can help.
    > > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to take
    > > to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to copy my
    > > computer was busily copying them back into the same file. As I tried
    > > to delete those copies it copied them again and then copied the
    > > copies!
    > > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    > > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    > > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    > > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    > > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    > > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    > > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my storage!

    > > Many thanks

    > What application were you using to copy the files to a disk? Do you mean a
    > CD-Rom disk?
    >
    > To copy files to a cd-rom disk you mneed to have a "burning" application
    > such as Roxio or Nero.
    >
    > "a disc" could mean anything!
    >
    > Dennis.- Hide quoted text -

    Oh, sorry, just shows what a dork I am really!
    Ok, I have Nero, I was trying to burn them onto a cd-rom.
    Operating system is Windows XP.
    I do know the difference between a file and a folder I was just
    stressed by it all and I meant I have put all the copied ones into a
    folder!!
    Thanks for the advice re deleting the lot, this is what I am worried
    about, these are irreplaceable photos of our growing foal!
    Dizzy, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Dizzy

    CL]-[D Guest

    Dizzy wrote:
    > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and hope
    > someone can help.
    > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to take
    > to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to copy my
    > computer was busily copying them back into the same file. As I tried
    > to delete those copies it copied them again and then copied the
    > copies!
    > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my storage!
    >
    > Many thanKS

    Select the lot of them (single click one and then hit CTRL and a at the same
    time) and click right click one of the selected files. Select properties
    from the list and make sure that "read only" is NOT checked. If XP askes if
    you want this applied to all of your pics say yes.

    That could be the problem. Hope this helps.
    CL]-[D, Sep 30, 2007
  6. Dizzy

    Dizzy Guest

    On Sep 30, 3:58 am, "CL]-[D" <> wrote:
    > Dizzy wrote:
    > > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and hope
    > > someone can help.
    > > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to take
    > > to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to copy my
    > > computer was busily copying them back into the same file. As I tried
    > > to delete those copies it copied them again and then copied the
    > > copies!
    > > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    > > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    > > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    > > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    > > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    > > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    > > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my storage!

    > > Many thanKS

    > Select the lot of them (single click one and then hit CTRL and a at the same
    > time) and click right click one of the selected files. Select properties
    > from the list and make sure that "read only" is NOT checked. If XP askes if
    > you want this applied to all of your pics say yes.
    >
    > That could be the problem. Hope this helps.- Hide quoted text -

    Oh Lor', what have I done now? I did what you said and ticked the
    hidden box, it has now blurred all the photos in the preview screen so
    they are difficult to see? Thet still seem to open ok. Can I change
    them back? BTW the read only wasn't checked and the hidden was a green
    square which I changed to a tick?
    Thanks for all the help by the way.
    Dizzy, Sep 30, 2007
  7. Dizzy

    Jeff Guest

    Dizzy <> wrote in

    > On Sep 30, 3:58 am, "CL]-[D" <> wrote:
    >> Dizzy wrote:
    >> > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and
    >> > hope someone can help.
    >> > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to
    >> > take to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to
    >> > copy my computer was busily copying them back into the same file.
    >> > As I tried to delete those copies it copied them again and then
    >> > copied the copies!
    >> > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    >> > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    >> > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    >> > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    >> > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    >> > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    >> > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my
    >> > storage!

    It did that because when you were selecting the files, you moved the mouse
    while you had the button pushed. This tells the computer to copy the files
    to that folder, just the same as if you dragged them to another folder.
    Next time hold the mouse still while clicking on the files.

    >> > Many thanKS

    >> Select the lot of them (single click one and then hit CTRL and a at
    >> the same time) and click right click one of the selected files.
    >> Select properties from the list and make sure that "read only" is NOT
    >> checked. If XP askes if you want this applied to all of your pics say
    >> yes.
    >>
    >> That could be the problem. Hope this helps.- Hide quoted text -

    > Oh Lor', what have I done now? I did what you said and ticked the
    > hidden box, it has now blurred all the photos in the preview screen so
    > they are difficult to see? Thet still seem to open ok. Can I change
    > them back? BTW the read only wasn't checked and the hidden was a green
    > square which I changed to a tick?
    > Thanks for all the help by the way.

    What have you done now? You didn't follow what you were told, that's what.
    You were supposed to just check that "read only" was unticked. You were
    not supposed to tick "hidden" or anything else. Now, highlight the files
    again and untick "hidden".
    Jeff, Sep 30, 2007
  8. Dizzy

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Dizzy" <> wrote in message
    > On 29 Sep, 10:29, "Dennis Pogson" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Dizzy wrote:
    >> > Hi, new user but I found you in a desperate search for info and
    >> > hope
    >> > someone can help.
    >> > I tried to copy some of my vast numbers of photos onto a disc to
    >> > take
    >> > to show my Mum this morning and as I was highlighting them to copy
    >> > my
    >> > computer was busily copying them back into the same file. As I
    >> > tried
    >> > to delete those copies it copied them again and then copied the
    >> > copies!
    >> > I now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    >> > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    >> > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    >> > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    >> > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    >> > happening again?( I want to copy more but daren't) and how do I get
    >> > rid of all the unwanted copies which are going to fill up my
    >> > storage!

    >> > Many thanks

    >> What application were you using to copy the files to a disk? Do you
    >> mean a
    >> CD-Rom disk?
    >>
    >> To copy files to a cd-rom disk you mneed to have a "burning"
    >> application
    >> such as Roxio or Nero.
    >>
    >> "a disc" could mean anything!
    >>
    >> Dennis.- Hide quoted text -

    > Oh, sorry, just shows what a dork I am really!
    > Ok, I have Nero, I was trying to burn them onto a cd-rom.
    > Operating system is Windows XP.
    > I do know the difference between a file and a folder I was just
    > stressed by it all and I meant I have put all the copied ones into a
    > folder!!
    > Thanks for the advice re deleting the lot, this is what I am worried
    > about, these are irreplaceable photos of our growing foal!

    If these are truly "irreplaceable photos of our growing foal!!" (or
    anything else for that matter), I would STRONGLY suggest you do
    some research into how to make backup copies of your "priceless"
    photos. Sooner or later, something will happen to them if you only
    have one copy (disk crash, operator error, fire, theft ... ).
    Spend some time looking into "photo backup" or "photo archive"
    methods.

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Oct 1, 2007
  9. Dizzy

    The Bobert Guest

    In article <>,
    Dizzy <> wrote:

    > now have thousands of copied photos that I don't want! I spent an
    > hour (yes really) putting them all in a file but it won't let me
    > delete it as it says that it is in use in another application (it
    > isn't cos I've shut everything)
    > Please someone help me! Why did it do that? How can I stop it
    > happening again?

    I don't know why this happens, but I get the same problem on occasions. I
    have solved the problem, sometimes, by just re-launchcing the Finder , but
    most often restarting the whole shebang.

    This has never resulted in the problem surviving through the re-boot. BTW,
    Cmd+Option+esc will bring up the Force Quit window even if the Spinning
    Wheel of Death is there. It may take a little longer than usual, but who
    cares? It's only 72.472 sec. out of your life. :=)
    --
    After four decimal places, who cares?

    Bob in Central California
    The Bobert, Oct 2, 2007