Copying many files with Windows Explorer halts prematurely

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Yao Ziyuan, Mar 13, 2011.

  1. Yao Ziyuan

    Yao Ziyuan Guest

    I have a Dell Studio laptop that comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-
    bit. It looks perfect except one thing:

    Once I copied the ~/.purple directory (which stores user data for
    Pidgin, an instant messenger from http://www.pidgin.im) from a Linux
    machine to a USB hard disk, and then from that USB hard disk to the
    Windows 7 laptop.

    That .purple directory mostly contains a lot (tens of thousands) of
    chat log files (plain text files). When I copied this directory from
    the USB hard disk to Windows 7 using Windows 7's Windows Explorer, the
    Copying File dialog box automatically disappeared when the copying
    progress was in the middle. (About half of the files were not copied.)

    Then I used XCOPY to copy the directory, and it was successful.

    So, the problem seems to be that Windows 7's Windows Explorer failed
    to copy many files at a time. Maybe it's because the Clipboard that
    held the filenames to be copied is too small to hold tens of thousands
    of filenames. Or maybe Windows 7 doesn't recognize some Linux
    filenames.
    Yao Ziyuan, Mar 13, 2011