    laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
    as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
    of. Do I need additional hardware?
    Tony, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Tony

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:31:01 -0700, Tony <> Gave us:

    >Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
    >laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
    >as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
    >of. Do I need additional hardware?

    Earlier disc didn't. Later discs had MV on them IIRC.

    I would use a PC to grab the output and create a master video file. I
    would not try to make a direct recording. This is better if you need
    to turn or switch discs. You'll be able to edit the masters into a
    single file free of breaks.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Tony

    vidrare Guest

    Laserdiscs never had a "copy guard" so copy away.
    vidrare, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Tony

    Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
    > laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
    > as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
    > of. Do I need additional hardware?

    Also, the signal from the disc starts out as composite and get
    upconverted to S-video. You will need to do a test to see which cable
    gives a better picture on your setup. In my case, I get a better
    picture when using the yellow video cable rather than the S-video
    connector. My digital converter does a better job of the upconverting
    than the LD player does.
    , Jan 2, 2006
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks to all for your responses. Got it working.

    Tony, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Tony

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Roy L. Fuchs () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:31:01 -0700, Tony <> Gave us:
    >
    > >Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
    > >laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
    > >as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
    > >of. Do I need additional hardware?

    > Earlier disc didn't. Later discs had MV on them IIRC.

    Look, stop posting so much stupidity. Even a trivial Google search
    verifies that you are wrong here, like most of your other posts.

    No laserdisc had Macrovision, as that part of the vertical blanking
    interval (which is where Macrovision exists) is used for other purposes
    on laserdiscs (to control the player with automatic "pause" and "play"
    commands).

    It would have been possible to have a laserdisc *player* create Macrovision
    (like DVD players do), but that would require some special flag on
    protected discs as well, so older discs could never be protected, and
    players without this feature would never emit Macrovision.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Tony

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:31:18 -0500, Jeff Rife <> Gave us:

    **** you, jack-off boy.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 2, 2006
  8. Tony

    Richard C. Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
    > laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
    > as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
    > of. Do I need additional hardware?

    =======================================
    Laser disc has no copy protection.
    Copy via S-Video and you will have a great quality DVD.
    Richard C., Jan 3, 2006
  9. Tony

    unclejr Guest

    Richard C. wrote:
    > Laser disc has no copy protection.
    > Copy via S-Video and you will have a great quality DVD.

    That, of course, depends upon the quality of the comb filter of your
    capture card vs. the comb filter of the LD player. Other than the very
    high-end player, most LD players have very poor comb filters. So, I
    would recommend recording with both the s-video and the composite and
    doing the requisite A/B comparison.

    HTH,

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 3, 2006
  10. Tony

    JACK HATCHER

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I'm confused....is some sort of decoder needed to copy the "later" laser discs? And, is there any way to recognize what a "later" laser disc is?
    JACK HATCHER, Nov 7, 2008