    you can add more users", all I have is the Windows XP logo. Any ideas,
    suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Constantine

    Jerry G. Guest

    You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers for
    XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
    Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from the
    folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.

    On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are the
    files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
    These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
    On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change that
    XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4 to
    6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.

    On the new fully imaged hard disk, you must put these back before it will
    run.

    Your only other option is to do a full re-install, and re-register the
    operating system.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "Constantine" <> wrote in message
    Hello All.

    I wanted to upgrade the main hard disc to a bigger one in my computer, so I
    decided to use Drive Image from Powerquest (version 7, I am using Windows XP
    Pro). The programme runs, copies the old hard disc to the new (successfully
    it claims), yet, when booting Windows from the new drive, it fails. Windows
    load up until the login screen. But instead of getting the available
    accounts, the turn off button at the bottom and the message "after you login

    Jerry G., Nov 6, 2003

  3. Constantine

    Constantine Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers

    for
    > XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
    > Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from

    the
    > folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.
    >
    > On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are

    the
    > files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
    > These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
    > On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change

    that
    > XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4

    > 6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.
    >
    > On the new fully imaged hard disk, you must put these back before it will
    > run.

    So, the procedure should be: 1) format the destination disc, 2) image copy
    the old to the new 3) copy the WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK files to the appropriate
    location. Correct?

    Kostas.

    Constantine, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Jerry G. wrote:

    > You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers for
    > XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
    > Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from the
    > folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.
    >
    > On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are the
    > files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
    > These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
    > On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change that
    > XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4 to
    > 6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.
    >
    > On the new fully imaged hard disk, you must put these back before it will
    > run.
    >
    > Your only other option is to do a full re-install, and re-register the
    > operating system.

    Truly curious-if you do a complete image copy (and PM's Drive Image
    claims to be 'true disk imaging backup software' although I've heard
    that the latest version falls short in practice) then why wouldn't the
    WPA files be included in that image copy? And if they are included then
    why would you need to restore them afterwards?

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Constantine

    Constantine Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > You need to copy the compete image, including the format serial numbers

    for
    > XP. The only way to do this is with a true disk imaging backup software.
    > Norton Ghost, and a few others like that will do it. The WPA files from

    the
    > folder system32 must be separately backed up for the system ID check.
    >
    > On your original installation of XP, there are some ID files. These are

    the
    > files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK, that should be separately copied to a floppy.
    > These are the ID files for your machine. These are in the system32 folder.
    > On your re-done installation they must be copied back. The only change

    that
    > XP will see is the new hard disk. You are allowed up to something like 4

    > 6 changes at a time, excluding the mother board, or the CPU.

    I just checked it and the files you mention are already there. There must
    something else going wrong.

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Constantine

    Skid Guest

    I've used the utility disk that came with my hard-drive, both Western
    Digital, and Maxtor, with success.

    Skid, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Constantine

    Night_Seer Guest

    Skid wrote:
    > I've used the utility disk that came with my hard-drive, both Western
    > Digital, and Maxtor, with success.

    I hear the Max-Blast software actually lets you make a Ghost image, much
    like Norton Ghost. Is this true?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Constantine

    Constantine Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in message
    > I've used the utility disk that came with my hard-drive, both Western
    > Digital, and Maxtor, with success.

    The old disk is an IBM, the new a Toshiba, both on a notebook. Nothing came
    with their own utilities. That's why I am using Drive Image.

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Constantine

    HF Guest

    Best way to upgrade your disk is to get the proper software from the
    manufacturers website. Drive image is NOT the way to do it. If you have not
    yet bought the hard disk ask for the retail kit which will have all the info
    and software with

    HF, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Some manufacturers, such as Toshiba, don't offer 'proper software' for
    copying a drive. If you have such a drive, as the OP does, then you need
    to 'roll your own'. Drive Image *has* worked in the past. I've not used
    it with XP-is there a specific reason why you claim using DI is incorrect?

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 7, 2003
  11. Constantine

    Constantine Guest

    Thanks to everybody for their replies.

    Finally, I solved the problem by using a different method. For future
    reference, I made an image backup of my old hard disc to the new one with
    Drive Image, making sure that it has spread in many files. Then I copied the
    files in cds (32 in total!). I used these cds to restore the system to the
    new hard disc. It took a long time, but at least it worked at the end.

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Nov 10, 2003