Copying from Digital TV?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, May 29, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I've just realised the full implications of Digital Boxes upon
    recording favourite programmes. (Yes, I know I should
    have paid more attention)

    This business of only being able to copy a programme
    which is actually being shown on the screen confuses me.
    I s there any - or is there going to be any - method of
    setting up the copying a programme in advance?

    Or is this just a method of preventing the saving of
    TV programmmes to VHS Video or DVD?

    Excuse the dumness of question, but this technology
    is beyond me.

    What I want to do is ...
    Copy my favoute programmes on to DVD (perhaps
    DVD RW ? ) from Digital and - in the future - HD Television.

    Help.

    Once again, be tolerant of my ignorance... please.

    John, May 29, 2006

  2. John

    SEYMOUR Guest

    ,my tevion tv card allows me to copy any channel and i can program in
    advance--and it will even turn the pc on at the right time

    £30 from aldi

    i wouldnt buy their food but their middle aisle with the tools/clothes/pc
    stuff etc is always worth a look

    SEYMOUR, May 29, 2006

  3. John

    Peaches Guest

    > I've just realised the full implications of Digital Boxes upon
    > recording favourite programmes. (Yes, I know I should
    > have paid more attention)
    >
    > This business of only being able to copy a programme
    > which is actually being shown on the screen confuses me.
    > I s there any - or is there going to be any - method of
    > setting up the copying a programme in advance?
    >
    > Or is this just a method of preventing the saving of
    > TV programmmes to VHS Video or DVD?
    >
    > Excuse the dumness of question, but this technology
    > is beyond me.
    >
    > What I want to do is ...
    > Copy my favoute programmes on to DVD (perhaps
    > DVD RW ? ) from Digital and - in the future - HD Television.
    >
    > Help.
    >
    > Once again, be tolerant of my ignorance... please.

    You don't specify if you mean satalite, cable, freeview etc?
    But all have various solutions.
    These two are DVB-T freeview receivers/PVR's
    both have dual tuners, and facility for TUTV
    Both have large capacity HD for archiving
    Both have EPG/time shifting recordings etc
    Both have USB2 for PC transfer and buring to DVD.

    http://tinyurl.com/hkjr3
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6125

    There are also numerous options for sat/cable
    and also for PC's to be used as PVR's with any/all services.

    Peaches, May 29, 2006
  4. John

    o00o Guest

    "SEYMOUR" <> wrote in message
    > ,my tevion tv card allows me to copy any channel and i can program in
    > advance--and it will even turn the pc on at the right time
    >
    > £30 from aldi
    >
    > i wouldnt buy their food but their middle aisle with the tools/clothes/pc
    > stuff etc is always worth a look

    Hi SEYMOUR,
    I too bought one of Aldi's Tevion cards for £30 and am really pleased with
    it, except for the fact that it sometimes locks up during recording. Have
    you had this problem? If so, how did you rectify it?
    I am running XP Pro, SP2, 1 Gig Ram.
    Thanks for any reply.

    o00o, May 29, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 20:59:31 +0100, "Peaches" <>
    wrote:

    >"John" <dmx819@.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> I've just realised the full implications of Digital Boxes upon
    >> recording favourite programmes. (Yes, I know I should
    >> have paid more attention)
    >>
    >> This business of only being able to copy a programme
    >> which is actually being shown on the screen confuses me.
    >> I s there any - or is there going to be any - method of
    >> setting up the copying a programme in advance?
    >>
    >> Or is this just a method of preventing the saving of
    >> TV programmmes to VHS Video or DVD?
    >>
    >> Excuse the dumness of question, but this technology
    >> is beyond me.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is ...
    >> Copy my favoute programmes on to DVD (perhaps
    >> DVD RW ? ) from Digital and - in the future - HD Television.
    >>
    >> Help.
    >>
    >> Once again, be tolerant of my ignorance... please.
    >>

    >You don't specify if you mean satalite, cable, freeview etc?

    ***** Telewest Cable************
    VMT for your advice.

    John.

    John, May 30, 2006