Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive or network?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe J, Aug 5, 2012.

  1. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    My brother bought a new Netbook which comes w/o a cd/dvd drive. Now he
    wants to load Office onto the Netbook but doesn't know how. He has the
    original Office disks.

    This is now over my head. He has a barely working laptop with a functioning
    dvd/cd player and has an in-house wireless network that everything can
    access.

    How would he go about loading programs onto the Netbook?

    Last question...He needs to create restore disks for the Netbook. What
    would be the easiest way to go about that? Just do that to an external usb
    drive?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Joe J, Aug 5, 2012

  2. Joe J

    Paul Guest

    Re: Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive ornetwork?

    Joe J wrote:
    > My brother bought a new Netbook which comes w/o a cd/dvd drive. Now he
    > wants to load Office onto the Netbook but doesn't know how. He has the
    > original Office disks.
    >
    > This is now over my head. He has a barely working laptop with a
    > functioning dvd/cd player and has an in-house wireless network that
    > everything can access.
    >
    > How would he go about loading programs onto the Netbook?
    >
    > Last question...He needs to create restore disks for the Netbook. What
    > would be the easiest way to go about that? Just do that to an external
    > usb drive?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Find a way to copy the files, from the machine that has access to
    them, to the computer that does not. That includes, using a USB key
    for transport, or using file sharing between machines. The USB key
    is probably the easiest to arrange, as long as your USB key is big
    enough. Just copy all the files off the installer CD, as a start,
    not changing the folder structure.

    Once the files are copied, you can look in the autorun.inf file
    for the setup command. Perhaps the actual installer is in the
    "setup" folder of the copied files. Something like setup\install.exe.

    It's preferably, to store the files in such a way, that they won't
    move, and will be re-usable later. The reason for that suggestion,
    is in case Office needs to be "repaired". The drive letters the files
    are hosted on, should not change between when Office is installed,
    and an attempt later to run a repair. When the installer CD is used,
    the optical drive is usually at a fixed letter that doesn't change.
    If you store the files on a partition on the hard drive, that letter
    likely won't change either. Many pieces of software, don't have the
    quaint notion of "repair", but things like Office like to complicate
    things by randomly asking you to present the CD again. So if you
    install off the hard drive today (as a staging area), then use
    an optical disk later to "repair" the installation, the drive
    letter will have changed, and you'll get an error dialog. Try to be
    consistent, with the location of the source installer files.

    I haven't installed Office in eons, so it's possible the recipe
    has changed. I've always found Office... annoying.

    *******

    A person owning a netbook, should preferably also own a USB optical
    drive, to solve this very problem. When you get a machine without
    optical drive, you run out and buy a portable burner. The portable
    burner allows you to burn "restore media", in case the netbook
    needs to be reinstalled. It also functions as a way to complete
    installations. Check the netbook documentation, or look in the
    OS menus, for info on preparing restoration media. When you own the
    optical drive, it gives you a way to boot the netbook when the
    hard drive or flash storage device inside, is dead.

    This is an example of a portable optical drive, which supports burning.
    You can burn recovery media, or read installer discs. Very handy.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106379

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 5, 2012

  3. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    Thanks Paul!

    Joe J, Aug 6, 2012
  4. If your brother has the original CDs and a drive to put them in, then plug
    in the drive and insert the CD, then follow the prompts.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 6, 2012