    and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Bill P

    °Mike° Guest

    Open a DOS box and type in the following -- assuming
    that your CD is drive "D"; change if necessary:

    dir D: /b /s >c:\files.txt

    This will give you a text listing in your root C: drive
    called "files.txt". Copy/paste the contents into
    Word.

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:39:46 +0100, in
    <clobtl$afe$>
    Bill P scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Bill P

    Marcus Guest

    Have you tried the small programme Print Folders that should list them in a
    document form for you.
    You can find it here:-
    http://www.download.com/PrintFolders/3000-2248_4-10326041.html?tag=lst-0-1

    Regards
    Marcus

    Marcus, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    Thanks °Mike°

    Bill P, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    Thanks Marcus
    That does the job nicely

    Bill P, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Bill P

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:09:46 +0100, in
    <cloo7l$clr$>
    Bill P scrawled:

    >Thanks °Mike°
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Open a DOS box and type in the following

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    Actually Marcus, it doesn't do everything I want. It doesn't recognise
    any files within the folders.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Oct 27, 2004
  8. Bill P

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:39:46 +0100 "Bill P"
    used 6 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
    >and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?

    Mike gave you the correct answer.

    Completely unrelated to what you asked, but, a neat feature of
    Netscape and Firefox is listing and the ability to print directories.

    Put this into your browser (Not IE)

    file:///C:/

    replace "c" with your CD drive letter.

    You can view the contents of files without the browser trying to
    launch them, and save the (collapsed) tree as html or text.

    I don't know if you can force it to expand the tree. If someone knows
    how please post it, I would like to see that.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Bill P

    John Holmes Guest

    Bill P came up with this:

    > Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
    > and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Open a command window, type cd x:\ (substitute x for the drive letter
    where your backup cd resides). Be sure to be in the root of the drive by
    typing cd \. Then type dir /s >c:\whatever.doc. Open the created file
    with Word.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."