Copying DVD-RAM to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike Tickle, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Mike Tickle

    Mike Tickle Guest

    Having just investing in a Panasonic DR-E50 and eagerly awaiting its arrival
    I have started thinking about how best to use it.
    DVD-RAM disks are a bit more expensive than DVD-R disks, but have the
    advantage can use them again and again. I see my self doing all my
    recording on the DVD-RAM disks as this allows me to use them like VHS (but
    with all the advantages of DVD).
    However I can see my self getting in the situation where I have stuff on
    DVD-RAM disks that I want to keep and I could move on to DVD-R (cheaper
    disk). Or wanting to put something I have recorded on to DVD-R so someone
    else can watch it. I am also planning to use the DMR-E50 to do some basic
    video editing of my home movies once I have put them on RAM (moving clips
    around, cutting bits etc) as my PC is not powerful enough and again I would
    want to put these, when finished, on to -R disks for friends and family.

    So how do I best go from DVD-RAM to DVD-R?

    I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM disks
    as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
    copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)

    Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
    capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this? I
    can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks other
    than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices? Where
    could I get one?
    Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP) can I
    just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?
    If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Mike

    Mike Tickle, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Mike Tickle

    Richard C. Guest

    The E80 with a hard disc would have been a better choice.

    Not really sure how you can go from RAM to -R with your unit.

    ================
    :

    Richard C., Nov 20, 2003

  3. Mike Tickle

    jdcarswell Guest

    > Having just investing in a Panasonic DR-E50 and eagerly awaiting its

    arrival
    > I have started thinking about how best to use it.
    > DVD-RAM disks are a bit more expensive than DVD-R disks, but have the
    > advantage can use them again and again. I see my self doing all my
    > recording on the DVD-RAM disks as this allows me to use them like VHS (but
    > with all the advantages of DVD).

    Good idea - they're getting cheaper every day and the rewrite cycle means
    you'll probably never wear one out.

    > However I can see my self getting in the situation where I have stuff on
    > DVD-RAM disks that I want to keep and I could move on to DVD-R (cheaper
    > disk). Or wanting to put something I have recorded on to DVD-R so someone
    > else can watch it. I am also planning to use the DMR-E50 to do some basic
    > video editing of my home movies once I have put them on RAM (moving clips
    > around, cutting bits etc) as my PC is not powerful enough and again I

    would
    > want to put these, when finished, on to -R disks for friends and family.
    >
    > So how do I best go from DVD-RAM to DVD-R?
    >
    > I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM

    disks
    > as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
    > copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)
    >
    > Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
    > capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this?

    Absolutely.

    > can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks

    other
    > than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices?

    Where
    > could I get one?

    I have a Toshiba SD M1712 http://tinyurl.com/pzfl which is inexpensive and
    reads DVD-RAM. I use it for the same purposes as you would. Don't know if
    it's available in the UK.

    > Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP) can

    > just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?

    Not sure if Nero can read DVD-RAM file structure, as it differs somewhat
    from that of DVD-R, but worth checking out. Best inexpensive program for
    simple reauthoring of your DVD-RAM discs that I know of is TMPGenc DVD
    Author. It's a dead simple application you can use to trim the start/end of
    your video, compile short videos, insert chapter points and replace or
    simply remove the lame Panasonic menu screen.
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html

    > If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?

    Many DVD-ROM drives that read DVD-RAM are crippled to read DVD-RAM at no
    greater than 2x speed. This makes ripping a very slow and frustrating
    process. Fortunately, there are sources for firmware updates that will
    remove this speed limit. Check with http://forum.firmware-flash.com/ to find
    out if the DVD-RAM drive you're considering is listed. In the case of the
    Toshiba drive mentioned above, check out
    http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

    jdcarswell, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Richard is absolutely right! The E80 (or 100) is the only way to go. See if
    you can stop the delivery of your E50 and substitute the E80. It's not
    really that much more money. It's a snip to copy from DVD-RAM to the hard
    drive (HDD) and thence back to a DVD-R ... with no degradation, since you're
    totally in digital environment. Denzil.

    =============================

    Denzil and Michelle Hathway, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Mike Tickle

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > The E80 with a hard disc would have been a better choice.

    Agreed!!! Record to Hard Drive, cut commercials and dump to
    DVD-R. <G>

    > Not really sure how you can go from RAM to -R with your

    unit.

    He'd need two units.

    I record on DVD-RAM, use "Divide" to cut commercials, and
    then dump to VHS SP, or just keep the stuff on DVD-RAM.

    I should have gotten one with a hard drive. Oh well, live &
    learn.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC - owner of an E30s
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Mike Tickle

    Samuel Paik Guest

    "Mike Tickle" <9.co.uk> wrote:
    > I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM disks
    > as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
    > copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)
    >
    > Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
    > capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this? I
    > can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks other
    > than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices? Where
    > could I get one?

    At least some DVD-ROM drives read DVD-RAM, but mostly only for the disks
    that come out of the cartridge. Panasonic makes a few models that can
    read the DVD-RAM cartridges. Recent Toshiba DVD-ROM drives can read
    DVD-RAM. The NEC DV-5800C/MXL can read DVD-RAM. The Samsung SD-816B
    can read DVD-RAM. The LG GDR-8161B can read DVD-RAM. I found all
    of these (except Toshiba) at newegg.com, but that probably isn't
    suitable for you since you appear to be in the UK.

    > Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP)
    > can I just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?
    > If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?

    I don't know. My impression is that DVD-RAM recorders don't record
    in DVD-Video format, but in a new (and incompatible) format and I
    don't know what steps are available for converting a DVD-RAM video
    into DVD-Video.

    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Mike Tickle

    Jerry Jones Guest

    Mike,

    You can use ULEAD's MediaStudio Pro 7.01 to extract raw MPEGs from
    your DVD-RAM discs (recorded in your Panasonic DVD player/recorder)
    and then copy the DVD-RAM content to DVD-R discs with great looking
    menus.

    You'll need a DVD drive that can read DVD-RAM discs.

    I have an external Firewire/USB 2.0 Panasonic SW-9571
    DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM drive that features a special "deep dish" tray
    that can accept cartridged DVD-RAM media.

    My drive model's tray is pictured on the Web page at the following
    link:

    http://www.jonesgroup.net/vdrm30steptwo.htm

    Panasonic has a faster new internal model out now called the SW-9582,
    which sells for $126 on the Web page at the following link:

    http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030141

    Insert your DVD-RAM recording into the drive and then use the ULEAD
    MediaStudio Pro "DVD-VR Capture Plug-in" to copy the video/audio data
    from the DVD-RAM disc to your hard drive.

    Then you can edit the file - insert titles and transitions - apply
    video filters, etc.

    Ulead's Smart Render technology helps preserve the quality of the
    original file by confining any new video rendering only to those
    specific segments in your edit project where titles, transitions, or
    filters have been applied.

    Then use the LE version of Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - included with
    MediaStudio Pro 7 - to create your custom menus for your DVD-R.

    It works great.

    I purchased a Panasonic DVD disc camcorder (model VDR-M30).

    This model records onto mini DVD-R discs or mini DVD-RAM discs.

    I wrote a step-by-step tutorial about how to extract the video/audio
    data using Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7.01 on the Web page at the following
    link:

    http://www.jonesgroup.net/vdrm30stepone.htm

    The steps of the tutorial would work for your Panasonic DVD
    player/recorder.

    I bought the Toshiba D-R1 DVD player/recorder.

    So I'll be posting a step-by-step tutorial featuring that model very
    soon.

    You can download a FREE trial version of Ulead MediaStudio Pro on the
    Web page at the following link:

    http://www.ulead.com/msp/trial.htm

    By the way, Ulead MediaStudio Pro supports stereo AC-3 audio.

    Hope this helps,

    Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net

    Jerry Jones, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Mike Tickle

    MS Guest

    Can't these units connect to a computer? Then dump to the computer hard
    drive, and re-record onto DVD-OR.

    MS, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Mike Tickle

    Charles Guest

    I understand these units would not connect to a computer but admittedly I
    have not tried connecting my HS2 to the PC - that would save me having to
    get a VTR for mini DV playback.

    Charles, Nov 30, 2003
  10. Mike Tickle

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Charles"
    Date: Sat, Nov 29, 2003 6:51 PM

    I understand these units would not connect to a computer but admittedly I
    have not tried connecting my HS2 to the PC - that would save me having to
    get a VTR for mini DV playback.>>

    The way you avoid getting a VTR for mini DV Playback is to import your DV tapes
    to your HS-2 and burn a DVD-R. That’s part of the reason for having a DVD
    recorder.

    FredBillie, Nov 30, 2003
  11. Mike Tickle

    Gil Guest

    "Mike Tickle" <9.co.uk> wrote in message news:<0O6vb.5990$>...
    > Having just investing in a Panasonic DR-E50 and eagerly awaiting its arrival
    > I have started thinking about how best to use it.
    > DVD-RAM disks are a bit more expensive than DVD-R disks, but have the
    > advantage can use them again and again. I see my self doing all my
    > recording on the DVD-RAM disks as this allows me to use them like VHS (but
    > with all the advantages of DVD).
    > However I can see my self getting in the situation where I have stuff on
    > DVD-RAM disks that I want to keep and I could move on to DVD-R (cheaper
    > disk). Or wanting to put something I have recorded on to DVD-R so someone
    > else can watch it. I am also planning to use the DMR-E50 to do some basic
    > video editing of my home movies once I have put them on RAM (moving clips
    > around, cutting bits etc) as my PC is not powerful enough and again I would
    > want to put these, when finished, on to -R disks for friends and family.
    >
    > So how do I best go from DVD-RAM to DVD-R?
    >
    > I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM disks
    > as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
    > copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)
    >
    > Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
    > capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this? I
    > can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks other
    > than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices? Where
    > could I get one?
    > Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP) can I
    > just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?
    > If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >

    > Mike

    I also have an E50 (was a gift). And the RAM disc is a disc not a
    cartridge. I have tried to play it on my Sony VAIO. No luck as I am
    also wanting to edit on the RAM disc then transfer it to DVD-R. Any
    help?

    Gil, Dec 1, 2003
  12. Mike Tickle

    Charles Guest

    The answer is yes. I bought a Panasonic LF-D521 DVD-RAM/DVD RW(£89 +VAT in
    the U.K)
    http://www.savastore.com/search.asp?storeS=*&keyword=Panasonic LF-D521. ( I
    would recommend the cartridge type as there is the less likelyhood of
    damage/dirt etc.) You do get a 4.7 GIG disc + Cartridge with the drive
    anyway.

    Recorded material from your DR-E50 onto DVD-RAM would have a folder called,
    'DVD_RTAV, in which you'll find three files: VR_Movie.VRO (main movie file),
    VR_MANGR_BUP and and VR_MANGR_IFO (when viewed on the PC). I copy these
    onto my Hard drive then rename the VR_Movie.VRO to VR_Movie.MPG. I then open
    this in an authoring program to add chapters, menus, transitions etc. etc
    then burn it to DVD-R. I have noticed though that sound is lost during
    preview on some of the authoring programs but not others. DVD-RAM is great.
    Someone may have an easier way of doing this: I'd be interested to know.

    Charles, Dec 2, 2003
  13. Mike Tickle

    Jerry Jones Guest

    Does your Sony Vaio have a Firewire port?

    Or USB 2.0?

    If so, simply buy an external DVD drive that reads DVD-RAM discs.

    The $219 Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RAM/DVD-RW read/write:

    http://www.meritline.com/exfirpanlf31.html

    The $299 Panasonic SW-9572 (faster) DVD-R/DVD-RAM/DVD-RW read/write:

    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/ourstore-2000/paswexfi20dr.html

    Insert the DVD-RAM disc into one of the above drives and follow the
    steps of my tutorial about how to use Ulead MediaStudio Pro's DVD-VR
    capture plug-in:

    http://www.jonesgroup.net/msptoshibastepone.htm

    Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net

    Jerry Jones, Dec 2, 2003
  14. Mike Tickle

    Phil Leonard Guest

    On 1 Dec 2003 14:07:56 -0800, (Gil) wrote:

    >I also have an E50 (was a gift). And the RAM disc is a disc not a
    >cartridge. I have tried to play it on my Sony VAIO. No luck as I am
    >also wanting to edit on the RAM disc then transfer it to DVD-R. Any
    >help?

    Although the DMR-Exx series comes with one DVD-RAM non-cartridge disk,
    accessories include the cartridge type discs as well. It's just
    cheaper for them to include a free non-cartridge disk. I primarily use
    cartridge type disks myself in both my Panasonic recorder and my PC
    burner.

    http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...gory=DVD Video Recorders&surfModel=DMR-E100HS

    $14.99 how to buy Double-sided 240 minute
    (9.4GB/Removable-cartridge) DVD-RAM Disc for Video Recording

    $9.99 how to buy Single-sided 120 minute (4.7GB/Removable-cartridge)
    DVD-RAM Disc for Video Recording

    $7.99 how to buy Single-sided, 120 minute (4.7GB/Non-cartridge)
    DVD-RAM Disc for Video Recording

    $3.99 how to buy Single-sided 120 minute (4.7GB/Non-cartridge) DVD-R
    Disc for Video Recording

    I buy my cartridge type (Optodisc) from shop4tech.com

    http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=414&cata=&s_cata=

    9.4GB DVD-RAM Media Double-Sided Type 4 w/Cartridge by optodisc
    $7.99

    Phil Leonard, Dec 2, 2003
  15. Mike Tickle

    Mike Tickle Guest

    > Recorded material from your DR-E50 onto DVD-RAM would have a folder
    called,
    > 'DVD_RTAV, in which you'll find three files: VR_Movie.VRO (main movie

    file),
    > VR_MANGR_BUP and and VR_MANGR_IFO (when viewed on the PC). I copy these
    > onto my Hard drive then rename the VR_Movie.VRO to VR_Movie.MPG. I then

    open
    > this in an authoring program to add chapters, menus, transitions etc. etc
    > then burn it to DVD-R. I have noticed though that sound is lost during
    > preview on some of the authoring programs but not others. DVD-RAM is

    great.
    > Someone may have an easier way of doing this: I'd be interested to know.

    How much processing does this take? My computer is not the most powerful in
    the world.

    Mike

    Mike Tickle, Dec 2, 2003