Copying DVD-RAM to DVD-R on a PC

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike & Karen, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Mike & Karen

    Mike & Karen Guest

    For Christmas I was lucky enough to get a Panasonic DMR-E50 set top box
    DVD recorder. The one dissapointment with this (and perhaps it was to
    be expected) is that I can not edit out the adverts from a movie when I
    write a DVD-R disk - it is erase the whole film or nothing.
    So over Christmas (and since then) I have been recording movies to
    DVD-RAM disks so I can edit out the adverts etc.
    However I want to move the content from the RAM disks to DVD-R disks.
    So I invested in an LG drive that claimed to read all formats except +R.
    When using that to read the RAM disks from DMR-E50 the PC just
    responded "incorrect function". So I took it back thinking it was faulty.
    Then I attempted to buy a Toshiba SD M1712 from uk.insight.com after a
    recommendation form the news group that the drive would read disks from
    the DMR-E50. But after they twice sent me a SD-M1802 that will not read
    RAM disks I decided to go for a Panasonic SR 8588 drive for my PC that
    supported DVD-RAM. I have also downlaoded a utility called DISCinfo
    (from http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php I think) which confirms the drive
    will read DVD-RAM disks.
    However when I insert a RAM disk I get "incorrect function".

    So is this a format issue? Is there a way I can make the drive read the
    disks? Or am I stuck with a life of regret for not buying the DVD
    recorder with the hard drive in it?

    Mike

    Mike & Karen, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Mike & Karen

    Nic Guest

    "Mike & Karen" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    > For Christmas I was lucky enough to get a Panasonic DMR-E50 set top box
    > DVD recorder. The one dissapointment with this (and perhaps it was to
    > be expected) is that I can not edit out the adverts from a movie when I
    > write a DVD-R disk - it is erase the whole film or nothing.
    > So over Christmas (and since then) I have been recording movies to
    > DVD-RAM disks so I can edit out the adverts etc.
    > However I want to move the content from the RAM disks to DVD-R disks.
    > So I invested in an LG drive that claimed to read all formats except +R.
    > When using that to read the RAM disks from DMR-E50 the PC just
    > responded "incorrect function". So I took it back thinking it was faulty.
    > Then I attempted to buy a Toshiba SD M1712 from uk.insight.com after a
    > recommendation form the news group that the drive would read disks from
    > the DMR-E50. But after they twice sent me a SD-M1802 that will not read
    > RAM disks I decided to go for a Panasonic SR 8588 drive for my PC that
    > supported DVD-RAM. I have also downlaoded a utility called DISCinfo
    > (from http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php I think) which confirms the drive
    > will read DVD-RAM disks.
    > However when I insert a RAM disk I get "incorrect function".
    >
    > So is this a format issue? Is there a way I can make the drive read the
    > disks? Or am I stuck with a life of regret for not buying the DVD
    > recorder with the hard drive in it?
    >

    > Mike

    It sounds like something else is wrong. I use a LG 4040B writer which
    reads/writes to RAM. I have had no problems with it.

    You should be able to edit out adverts on the DVD-R by using the playlist
    function. It will skip the adverts at the right time. It would only work on
    the E50 though.

    ---

    Nic, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Mike & Karen

    P Pron Guest

    Mike & Karen wrote:
    > For Christmas I was lucky enough to get a Panasonic DMR-E50 set top
    > box DVD recorder. The one dissapointment with this (and perhaps it
    > was to
    > be expected) is that I can not edit out the adverts from a movie

    when
    > I write a DVD-R disk - it is erase the whole film or nothing.
    > So over Christmas (and since then) I have been recording movies to
    > DVD-RAM disks so I can edit out the adverts etc.
    > However I want to move the content from the RAM disks to DVD-R

    disks.
    > So I invested in an LG drive that claimed to read all formats except
    > +R. When using that to read the RAM disks from DMR-E50 the PC just
    > responded "incorrect function". So I took it back thinking it was
    > faulty. Then I attempted to buy a Toshiba SD M1712 from
    > uk.insight.com after a recommendation form the news group that the
    > drive would read disks from the DMR-E50. But after they twice sent
    > me a SD-M1802 that will not read RAM disks I decided to go for a
    > Panasonic SR 8588 drive for my PC that supported DVD-RAM. I have
    > also downlaoded a utility called DISCinfo (from
    > http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php I think) which confirms the drive
    > will read DVD-RAM disks.
    > However when I insert a RAM disk I get "incorrect function".
    >
    > So is this a format issue? Is there a way I can make the drive read
    > the disks? Or am I stuck with a life of regret for not buying the

    DVD
    > recorder with the hard drive in it?
    >

    > Mike

    I don't know why you're having problems getting this to work with your
    Panasonic SR8588 drive, but I'm now doing OK (after a lot of false
    starts!!) using a Panasonic program called DVD Movie Album which comes
    bundled with their LFM621E burner (see Panasonic UK website).

    You can use that to edit out the adverts, etc, and convert the VRO
    files from the DVD-RAM disc into MPEG files. You then use something
    like TMPGenc DVD Author or Nero to convert the MPEG files into "pukka"
    DVDs, playable on a standard player. It's taken me weeks and a lot of
    help to work this out!!

    I've cross-posted this reply to alt.video.dvdr, where there are some
    very helpful people, and a thread from a few days ago headed
    "Panasonic VRO Files and PC Editing - Help !" which you might like to
    check out. This includes a slightly cryptic link to a possible source
    for Movie Album...

    hth

    paul

    P Pron, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Mike & Karen

    G Guest

    I've just purchased an LG 4040B with Ram capability, but you have to install
    the RAM DRIVER from the installation CD.
    Did you happen to do that for either the LG or Panasonic drives? (just
    curious...)

    G, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Mike & Karen

    Mike & Karen Guest

    > So is this a format issue?

    Bad form to respond to my own post. BUT...

    It is all about UDF. I need a UDF 2 driver to read the RAM disks the
    DMR-E50 creates. No disks came with any of the drives I tried but a
    whole day on google came through. The needed file was on the panasonic
    web site.

    So problem solved.

    Thanks

    Mike

    Mike & Karen, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Mike & Karen

    P Pron Guest

    G wrote:
    > I've just purchased an LG 4040B with Ram capability, but you have to
    > install the RAM DRIVER from the installation CD.
    > Did you happen to do that for either the LG or Panasonic drives?

    (just
    > curious...)

    My Tosh laptop (which has what seems to be an OEM Panasonic drive
    labelled as a Tosh SD-R6012) came with the driver ready-installed -
    although I haven't yet succeeded in editing the the content of the
    actual DVD-RAM disc that the movie is on.

    But this is fine, because Movie Album creates a "virtual edit" which
    is then reflected in the MPEG file that is copied to the hard-drive as
    the source for a "proper" DVD. The original RAM disc remains
    unchanged.

    So the fact that I can't (yet?) write to DVD-RAM isn't really a
    problem, because the whole point of the exercise for me is to free up
    the RAM disc for erasure and reuse - and basic editing can be done in
    the E-50 anyway.

    paul

    P Pron, Jan 31, 2004
  7. Mike & Karen

    Jerry Jones Guest

    I have listed several drives that all read DVD-RAM discs.

    Some of the drives won't read the DVD-RAM discs in cartridges,
    however.

    The list is at the bottom of the Web page at the following link:

    http://www.jonesgroup.net/videocomputers.htm

    I'd recommend the Panasonic SW-9572:

    http://store.yahoo.com/ourstore-2000/paswdvcdindr.html

    Then you can use DVD-VR software to copy the DVD-RAM disc content to
    your hard drive for editing and then re-burning to DVD-R.

    I'd recommend Ulead's new "Disc Creator" version of DVD MovieFactory
    3.0.

    I've written a step-by-step tutorial about how to use that software to
    grab video from DVD-RAM discs:

    http://www.jonesgroup.net/dvdrecorderdiscstepone.htm

    Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net

    Jerry Jones, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Mike & Karen

    Daburner Guest

    I had all kinds of problems like this when I purchased my Panny E50 last
    year. Then I discovered quite by accident that my new LG4020B burner
    actually read the -RAM disks that I could use in the E50. My only problem
    was how to edit the -VR files created by E50 on my pc. I contacted Panasonic
    Canada and they directed me to Ulead's Movie Factory 2 that edits the VRO
    files (which are actually Mpeg2 files). I also found that TMPGEnc DVD Author
    was a much easier and better editing software than Movie Factory 2. It
    includes chapter editing, cutting out commercials and unwanted footage, and
    menu creation with scene selections. It also includes a burning tool to burn
    the created Video_TS files.

    You have to make sure that you've gotten the latest firmware update for your
    burner and have installed all the drivers for the formats that the drive
    supports. I'm surprised that the LG4040B didn't recognize the RAM disk. My
    guess is that you didn't install the RAM driver from the install disk
    properly. Mine works like a charm. I transfer recorded programs from my E50
    via RAM disks all the time to my pc for editing. You'll also find that a
    compression program like DVDShrink 3.1.2 will come in handy for those
    programs that are longer than the 2 hour limit on DVD-R disks (recorded in
    the SP mode).

    A quick note about the E80/H2 recorder. It has the hard drive to archive
    programs and enable the time slip feature (which the E50 has using a RAM
    disk). However once you transfer the program to a RAM disk or -R disk,
    you're going to have the same problem: how to transfer the video to the pc.
    Get the 4040B if its still available or the newer 8x burner from LG. Then
    install all the drivers and do a google search for the latest firmware
    update. Flash the unit to update it. Then you should be able to read the RAM
    disks with out problems. Download the movie editing software and your in
    business.

    good luck

    Daburner

    Daburner, Feb 7, 2004