Copying an entire drive onto a folder on another drive.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bazzer Smith, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Using XP I tried this, I copied all the files by opening
    the drive (lets call it drive d:) and grabbing every thing
    in d:\ and dragging it to a folder on the main drive.
    However I noticed the sized of the drive and the folder
    I copied it to were different (the one in folder was smaller)

    Then I tried doing it a different way by clicking on the
    drive (without opening it) and selecting copy. This
    seemed to produce a folder of the same size.

    I am guessing the second method copied some
    'low lever' (invisible data)? (Or I screwed up the first
    time I tried it?).

    Anyway assuminig I didn't screw up which is the best method?

    Bascially I want to copy all the data off the drive to
    free all the space and then use the drive to put other data
    on (so I can use it to transfer that data elsewhere) and then
    when I have finished I want to restore the drive back to its
    original state by copying the original data back onto it.

    I am now of the impression that the first method was
    best, either that or I don't know what I am talking about :O)
    Bazzer Smith, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:42:52 GMT,
    in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Bazzer Smith"
    <> spewed the following:

    --
    -nos1eep
    nos1eep, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    bambam Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:42:52 +0000, Bazzer Smith wrote:

    > Using XP I tried this, I copied all the files by opening
    > the drive (lets call it drive d:) and grabbing every thing
    > in d:\ and dragging it to a folder on the main drive.
    > However I noticed the sized of the drive and the folder
    > I copied it to were different (the one in folder was smaller)
    >
    > Then I tried doing it a different way by clicking on the
    > drive (without opening it) and selecting copy. This
    > seemed to produce a folder of the same size.
    >
    > I am guessing the second method copied some
    > 'low lever' (invisible data)? (Or I screwed up the first
    > time I tried it?).
    >
    > Anyway assuminig I didn't screw up which is the best method?
    >
    > Bascially I want to copy all the data off the drive to
    > free all the space and then use the drive to put other data
    > on (so I can use it to transfer that data elsewhere) and then
    > when I have finished I want to restore the drive back to its
    > original state by copying the original data back onto it.
    >

    > I am now of the impression that the first method was
    > best, either that or I don't know what I am talking about :O)

    Have a look at this program, it will help you image your partition then
    copy it back when you need it. The image file is also browsable.

    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
    bambam, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:42:52 +0000, Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Using XP I tried this, I copied all the files by opening
    >> the drive (lets call it drive d:) and grabbing every thing
    >> in d:\ and dragging it to a folder on the main drive.
    >> However I noticed the sized of the drive and the folder
    >> I copied it to were different (the one in folder was smaller)
    >>
    >> Then I tried doing it a different way by clicking on the
    >> drive (without opening it) and selecting copy. This
    >> seemed to produce a folder of the same size.
    >>
    >> I am guessing the second method copied some
    >> 'low lever' (invisible data)? (Or I screwed up the first
    >> time I tried it?).
    >>
    >> Anyway assuminig I didn't screw up which is the best method?
    >>
    >> Bascially I want to copy all the data off the drive to
    >> free all the space and then use the drive to put other data
    >> on (so I can use it to transfer that data elsewhere) and then
    >> when I have finished I want to restore the drive back to its
    >> original state by copying the original data back onto it.
    >>

    >> I am now of the impression that the first method was
    >> best, either that or I don't know what I am talking about :O)

    > Have a look at this program, it will help you image your partition then
    > copy it back when you need it. The image file is also browsable.
    >
    > http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

    Thanks but I think the first method (open drive, select all, copy and paste)
    will work for what I want to do.I seem to remember doing it tthis way before
    successfully.
    Bazzer Smith, Apr 25, 2006