    How long will the whole thing (ripping, re-encoding, burning) take with a
    single Pioneer DVR-106 drive?

    What's the best software?

    Quark, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Quark

    PeteC Guest

    "Quark" <> wrote in message
    news:bsmpkl$ee3df$-berlin.de...
    > I understand that if I copy a retail DVD, I have to re-encode it to fit a
    > 4.7 gb DVD-R. How long does this process take?
    >
    > How long will the whole thing (ripping, re-encoding, burning) take with a
    > single Pioneer DVR-106 drive?
    >
    > What's the best software?

    About 3.5 days per disk you pikey!!!

    Pete

    PeteC, Dec 28, 2003

  3. AnyDVD - CloneDVD
    or
    DVDShrink + Nero
    or
    DVD Shrink + ImgTool Burn

    Recommend using 1X (general) name brand DVD-R discs for best compatibility
    with DVD players....i.e. Ritek G03.

    www.dvdrhelp.com

    Cathy De Viney, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Quark wrote:
    > I understand that if I copy a retail DVD, I have to re-encode it to
    > fit a 4.7 gb DVD-R. How long does this process take?

    Varies with the speed of the PC and the method of re-encoding, but
    only a few hours at worst.

    > How long will the whole thing (ripping, re-encoding, burning) take
    > with a single Pioneer DVR-106 drive?

    Burning at 4times is about 15mins, and I've had no problems with that
    speed, though others reccomend slower speeds to guarentee better
    compatability with standalone players. As Cathy has already mentioned,
    use Ritek disks - I use the G04 dye disks, but any Ritek dye will give
    good results.

    > What's the best software?

    Again, like Cathy, I use DVD shrink and Nero. If you want the best
    quality, then use the re-author mode and choose just the movie. You
    lose all the menu's etc, but keep the chapter stops, so if you want to
    get to a particular scene, you have to use the next chapter button. If
    you want everything, you can get the whole thing onto one disk, but
    quality will suffer. You can vary the compression of each part of the
    disk so that the extras are compressed more than the movie, so it's
    quite flexible.

    Gary.

    Gary Lightfoot, Dec 28, 2003
  5. "Quark" <> wrote in message
    > I understand that if I copy a retail DVD, I have to re-encode it to fit a
    > 4.7 gb DVD-R. How long does this process take?
    >
    > How long will the whole thing (ripping, re-encoding, burning) take with a
    > single Pioneer DVR-106 drive?
    >
    > What's the best software?

    Do realize all this information is for the sole purpose of backing up your
    own legally purchased discs, in case something happens to the originals, and
    I am in no way responsible for your actions based on this information:

    Use something like DVDShrink (www.google.com) and put a disc in a DVD drive,
    click Open Disk, it will analyze the disc (perhaps 2-3min), then you can
    either choose to backup the entire disc, with extras, or just the movie. To
    do just the movie, click Re-Author, another window pops up, and in the 1st
    window, open up Main Movie, drag the Title # (typcailly Title 1) into teh
    new window. Then you can choose to remove all the foreign language audios,
    commentary tracks, subtitles, or if there is a 5.1 track & a 2.0 track, you
    can remove the 2.0 track so you have just the 5.1 (if you are crazy, you can
    remove the 5.1 and be left with just stereo, that seems like a waste
    though). Then for the video, there are 4 options, and some slider bars with
    % on them. Choosing automatic is best if you are re-authoring. Then choose
    Backup, and choose a folder to put it in. Let it make the disc region-free,
    or if your player cant play region free discs, choose the appropriate region
    (or all of them, if the player can atleast do multi-region discs). The
    backup will take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. If you choose Deep
    Analysis, it will take longer, but the video should be better looking. W

    The folder should then have around 4.36GB of data, a max of 4,700,000,000
    bytes (the 4.7GB disc limit, to within a few thousand bytes). In your DVD
    burning software, such as Nero, choose DVD Video, and then in the VIDEO_TS
    folder, add all the files it output, the *.IFO, *.BUP, *.VOB files. That
    should be all.

    Your disc will not have a menu, but instead jumps right to the beginning of
    the movie. If you have more than 1 audio track, your DVD player has a
    button called Audio or something similar, and it can select the audio track.
    Same thing with subtitles, my player has a button called Sub-T, it cycles
    through the subtitltes or turns them off.

    If you want to do more advanced things, then you will need more programs,
    and more time, more effort, more knowledge of how DVD video works, and some
    more guides.

    I reccommend checking out www.dvdrhelp.com and www.doom9.org for more
    guides, which do things more advanced.

    Anonymous Joe, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Quark

    Rolo Tomassi Guest

    Keep an eye on alt.video.dvdr

    Rolo

    Rolo Tomassi, Dec 28, 2003
  7. Quark

    ISZ Guest

    will dvd shrink work with ez cd/dvd creator 6 or does it have to be nero?

    ISZ, Dec 29, 2003
  8. Quark

    anjii Guest

    dvd decrypter easier to use . read and save as an .iso file on your hardrive
    somehwhere then using the same program to write as an .iso file..
    the program is free and will crack any copyright on the disc .
    no re encoding required and will let you keep all the xtras etc.
    when you save as an iso file you will be able to tell if you can burn to
    blank dvd by it's size....

    if not use dvd shrink... which is a fair bit of hassle...

    regards

    anjii

    anjii, Dec 29, 2003