Copying a DVD-VR disc on PC which was created on a Liteon DVD Recorder (for TV)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Andrew Johnson, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc, created on a
    LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it mainly in Super Long
    Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours recording. The LiteOn writes the
    disk in DVD-VR format

    This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that when I
    look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as being a total of
    8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).

    I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only part of it
    would play - the later recordings I made would not play back on the PC or
    the recorder - it just froze.

    Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc (and
    the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup copy before
    taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.

    I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at all - it
    just gives errors!

    DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the recordings - but
    there are many more on the disk!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks a lot and Happy New Year

    Andrew

    Andrew Johnson, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Andrew Johnson

    P Pron Guest

    Andrew Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc,
    > created on a LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it
    > mainly in Super Long Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours
    > recording. The LiteOn writes the disk in DVD-VR format
    >
    > This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that
    > when I look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as
    > being a total of 8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).
    >
    > I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    > correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only
    > part of it would play - the later recordings I made would not play
    > back on the PC or the recorder - it just froze.
    >
    > Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc
    > (and the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup
    > copy before taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.
    >
    > I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at
    > all - it just gives errors!
    >
    > DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the
    > recordings - but there are many more on the disk!
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks a lot and Happy New Year
    >
    > Andrew

    I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that I've never
    heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours. I wonder if the
    standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this is.

    The second thing is that blank discs cost less than a Mars bar. I'd be
    inclined to start again, using less extreme compression, and splash out on a
    second blank disc - and not an RW disc, which many standalone players have
    difficulties with.

    Just a thought

    paul

    P Pron, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Andrew Johnson

    guv Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:26:38 -0000, "P Pron"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that I've never
    >heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours. I wonder if the
    >standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this is.

    Any DVD player is capable of playing a DVD with 5 hours of video on
    it. Its just a question of quality. I have a few DVDR with 3 films on,
    compressed to the hilt, that play back fine, albeit poorer quality
    than the original. Do a google search for Robshot....

    --
    www.senaction.com

    guv, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Andrew Johnson

    P Pron Guest

    guv wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:26:38 -0000, "P Pron"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that
    >> I've never heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours.
    >> I wonder if the standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this
    >> is.

    > Any DVD player is capable of playing a DVD with 5 hours of video on
    > it. Its just a question of quality. I have a few DVDR with 3 films on,
    > compressed to the hilt, that play back fine, albeit poorer quality
    > than the original. Do a google search for Robshot....

    Sorry - maybe it's the RW issue, then....

    paul

    P Pron, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Andrew Johnson

    /\\/\\arc Guest

    "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew Johnson wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc,
    > > created on a LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it
    > > mainly in Super Long Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours
    > > recording. The LiteOn writes the disk in DVD-VR format
    > >
    > > This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that
    > > when I look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as
    > > being a total of 8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).
    > >
    > > I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    > > correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only
    > > part of it would play - the later recordings I made would not play
    > > back on the PC or the recorder - it just froze.
    > >
    > > Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc
    > > (and the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup
    > > copy before taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.
    > >
    > > I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at
    > > all - it just gives errors!
    > >
    > > DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the
    > > recordings - but there are many more on the disk!
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot and Happy New Year
    > >
    > > Andrew

    > I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that I've

    never
    > heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours. I wonder if the
    > standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this is.

    Most DVD standalone recorders let you record upto 6hours in super long play
    mode. It's not good quality, but it'll do for most stuff off the tv.

    /\/\arc

    /\\/\\arc, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Andrew Johnson

    Gary Guest

    "/\/\arc" <> wrote in message

    > "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Johnson wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc,
    >> > created on a LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it
    >> > mainly in Super Long Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours
    >> > recording. The LiteOn writes the disk in DVD-VR format
    >> >
    >> > This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that
    >> > when I look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as
    >> > being a total of 8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).
    >> >
    >> > I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    >> > correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only
    >> > part of it would play - the later recordings I made would not play
    >> > back on the PC or the recorder - it just froze.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc
    >> > (and the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup
    >> > copy before taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.
    >> >
    >> > I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at
    >> > all - it just gives errors!
    >> >
    >> > DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the
    >> > recordings - but there are many more on the disk!
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks a lot and Happy New Year
    >> >
    >> > Andrew

    >> I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that I've

    > never
    >> heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours. I wonder if the
    >> standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this is.

    > Most DVD standalone recorders let you record upto 6hours in super long
    > play
    > mode. It's not good quality, but it'll do for most stuff off the tv.
    >
    > /\/\arc

    you may find it is MPEG1 and the shrink programs dont like that.

    try just copying without processing. you know it fits.

    Gary, Jan 3, 2005
  7. On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:12:33 GMT, "Andrew Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc, created on a
    >LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it mainly in Super Long
    >Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours recording. The LiteOn writes the
    >disk in DVD-VR format
    >
    >This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that when I
    >look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as being a total of
    >8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).
    >
    >I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    >correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only part of it
    >would play - the later recordings I made would not play back on the PC or
    >the recorder - it just froze.
    >
    >Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc (and
    >the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup copy before
    >taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.
    >
    >I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at all - it
    >just gives errors!
    >
    >DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the recordings - but
    >there are many more on the disk!
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Could be because you used a -RW. Try it with a +RW and see if you have
    similar results.

    Lee.
    --
    Founder, DVD Debate
    http://www.dvddebate.com

    If you told a joke and someone died laughing, could you be found guilty of a mans laughter?

    Lee@DVDDebate, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Andrew Johnson

    Smid Guest

    Erm, a couple of things...

    1) Are you sure its a DVD-VR format (Vr-mode)? Because thats usually
    UDF based filesystem and a big file called a .VRO file (I think),
    completely different from DVD-Video format (Video_ts directory with
    ..VOB and .IFO files). Former has better editability, later has better
    compatibility. I used VR-mode until I had to copy some TV recordings
    (glastonbury 2004, 28 hours of coverage, phew) and found it
    incompatible with everything from DVD players to editing software... I
    redid the recording in DVD-Video format. I don't use the VR. I think
    Ulead DVD movie factory gives you the option to copy from -VR format to
    Video format, but you lose the menus.

    (My JVC DVD recorder gives me the choice of either when using a -RW)

    2) Yes, 6 hours is the most you can fit onto a DVD-RW/R with that JVC
    recorder. I heard one does 12 hours but I suspect thats the silly
    double sided -RAM format...

    3) I had problems when trying to copy DVD-Video recordings from a Nero
    disc image (yes, the file sizes are wrong, probably some jiggery pokery
    to do with titles and making things max file size to be on safe side).

    I simply recorded the discs at 2 speed rather than 4 speed, and they
    seemed to work.

    Hope that works....

    Smid

    Smid, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Andrew Johnson

    Covenant Guest

    "Andrew Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc, created on

    > LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it mainly in Super Long
    > Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours recording. The LiteOn writes

    the
    > disk in DVD-VR format

    This is *somerthing* similar to a problem I got with a burn from a JVC
    recorder.

    The final VOB was filled with false data that made it *max size*.
    Wouldn't be recognised to be played by anything other than Power DVD.
    Explorer *saw* the vobs but always said the last was corrupt, or part of a
    damaged file structure.
    LOADS of programs simply wouldn't rip it.
    (It was DVD santa that showed the dozens of false data packets in the last
    vob)

    How I got around FINALLY ripping this was using a program called IsoBuster.
    It's VERY good at extracting data from such things.

    (Good for ripping things like SVCDs as well.)

    --
    Covenant
    A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

    Covenant, Jan 4, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    P Pron <> wrote:
    >Andrew Johnson wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc,
    >> created on a LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it
    >> mainly in Super Long Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours
    >> recording. The LiteOn writes the disk in DVD-VR format
    >>
    >> This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that
    >> when I look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as
    >> being a total of 8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).
    >>
    >> I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    >> correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only
    >> part of it would play - the later recordings I made would not play
    >> back on the PC or the recorder - it just froze.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc
    >> (and the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup
    >> copy before taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.

    >> I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at
    >> all - it just gives errors!

    >> DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the
    >> recordings - but there are many more on the disk!

    >> Any ideas?

    >> Thanks a lot and Happy New Year

    >> Andrew

    >I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that I've never
    >heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours. I wonder if the
    >standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this is.

    My standalone DVD Recorder has options of 1 hr, 2.5 hours, 4 hours,
    or 6 hours. The newer model even has an 8 hour feature. It's just
    a matter of encoding at a much lower bit-rate.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Andrew Johnson

    Gary Guest

    "/\/\arc" <> wrote in message

    > "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Johnson wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have just been copying some kids VHS tapes to a DVD-RW disc,
    >> > created on a LVW-5006B All-Write Home Dvd Recorder. I created it
    >> > mainly in Super Long Play mode so that I could get about 5 hours
    >> > recording. The LiteOn writes the disk in DVD-VR format
    >> >
    >> > This disc plays back fine on my PC. However, the 1st puzzle was that
    >> > when I look at the sizes of the VOB files etc, the PC read them as
    >> > being a total of 8GB in size (not bad for a 4.7 GB disc).
    >> >
    >> > I used Nero to create a DVD image of this disc (which came out at the
    >> > correct size), but when I copied this image to another disc, only
    >> > part of it would play - the later recordings I made would not play
    >> > back on the PC or the recorder - it just froze.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas/thoughts? As I have copied about 5 VHS tapes onto the disc
    >> > (and the quality is pretty good actually), I want to make a backup
    >> > copy before taking the tapes to a charity shop or something.
    >> >
    >> > I tried using DVD Shrink and that can't seem to handle the disk at
    >> > all - it just gives errors!
    >> >
    >> > DVDx can see a couple of IFO files and view a couple of the
    >> > recordings - but there are many more on the disk!
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks a lot and Happy New Year
    >> >
    >> > Andrew

    >> I'm not an expert , but the first thing that occurs to me is that I've

    > never
    >> heard of a single layer DVD-Video that plays for 5 hours. I wonder if the
    >> standalone DVD player simply doesn't know what this is.

    > Most DVD standalone recorders let you record upto 6hours in super long
    > play
    > mode. It's not good quality, but it'll do for most stuff off the tv.
    >
    > /\/\arc

    My Philips records for 8 hours on a dvd. MPEG1 dd sound.

    Gary, Jan 8, 2005