copy WinXP drive for 2nd backup bootable drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Miles Promo, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Miles Promo

    Miles Promo Guest

    Hi. I'm trying to clone my WinXP hard drive to a 2nd
    hard drive using Drive Image 7. I want the 2nd hard
    drive to be bootable for quick recovery from failure of
    the 1st hard drive. Each drive is on its own controller
    channel, and the 1st disk is formatted for FAT32.
    (I plan to attempt the FAT32 -> NTFS conversion
    once the image transfer is successful.)

    I have prepared a FAT32 partition on the 2nd hard
    drive and marked it "active". I have run Drive Image
    twice to copy the image, but the first time (when
    "Copy MBR" was checked) Drive Image reported an
    error at the very end ("Redundant copies of the FAT
    do not match the active FAT"). The second time (when
    "Copy MBR" was not checked), the copy succeeded,
    but the 2nd hard drive couldn't boot.

    I'm wondering whether I'm doing something wrong, or
    am I up against MicroSoft's registration scheme. Any
    knowledgeable suggestions?

    Miles & Smiles

    Miles Promo, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Miles Promo

    mark mandell Guest

    "Miles Promo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I'm trying to clone my WinXP hard drive to a 2nd
    > hard drive using Drive Image 7. I want the 2nd hard
    > drive to be bootable for quick recovery from failure of
    > the 1st hard drive. Each drive is on its own controller
    > channel, and the 1st disk is formatted for FAT32.
    > (I plan to attempt the FAT32 -> NTFS conversion
    > once the image transfer is successful.)
    >
    > I have prepared a FAT32 partition on the 2nd hard
    > drive and marked it "active". I have run Drive Image
    > twice to copy the image, but the first time (when
    > "Copy MBR" was checked) Drive Image reported an
    > error at the very end ("Redundant copies of the FAT
    > do not match the active FAT"). The second time (when
    > "Copy MBR" was not checked), the copy succeeded,
    > but the 2nd hard drive couldn't boot.
    >
    > I'm wondering whether I'm doing something wrong, or
    > am I up against MicroSoft's registration scheme. Any
    > knowledgeable suggestions?
    >

    > Miles & Smiles

    I pretty much think it's the latter thing you're up against, this based on
    reports I''ve read.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandell, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Miles Promo