    it?

    Cheers
    Guy

    Guyster, Nov 22, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Guyster <> wrote:
    >We have just taken delivery of a pair of PIX 515's to set up as a
    >failover pair, one has been shipped without software - I need to get
    >these up and running asap. Is it possible to copy the software of the
    >good device and install it onto the other? If so how would I go about
    >it?

    PIX 6: no

    PIX 7:

    copy flash:pix7XX.bin tftp://HOSTIP/FILENAME

    then on the other you would go into the ROM monitor at boot time and
    copy the software in from the tftp server.

    However, new PIX are always shipped with software (unless you
    pay a fair bit for a PIX chassis as a replacement part). This
    and the fact that you name 515 rather than 515E suggests that your
    PIX are used. If so, then unless you took extra precautions, then
    the software license did not transfer to you and you likely do not
    have the right to run either PIX, let alone as a failover pair
    (which requires Unrestricted license for one member and an
    Unrestricted or FO license for the other member.) A device that
    arrives without software is likely not to have stored a license key
    for what you want to do.

    If the device is used and you did not get it from a vendor specially
    authorized by Cisco to sell used equipment (and those vendors
    would always include the software), then you need to "relicense"
    the software. The part numbers are LL-PIX-515-SW-FO and
    LL-PIX-515-SW-UR; the latter appears to be selling for about $US4200
    when you can find it in stock.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 22, 2006