    the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    there a way around it?

    mike avera, Jul 14, 2004

  2. "mike avera" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    > there a way around it?

    DVD's are generally copy protected using CSS and macrovision. To copy to
    tape you need a macrovision remover. To copy to another DVD then AnyDVD or
    DVDregionfree will do the job. Cheapest way is to copy the CVD to a RW disk
    using the latter and then copy that disk to a tape.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Jul 14, 2004

  3. mike avera

    Mark B. Guest

    "mike avera" <> wrote in message
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    > there a way around it?

    DVDs are copy protected. The way around it is to tell your friend to stop
    being so cheap and buy his own set.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 14, 2004
  4. mike avera

    Mark Spatny Guest

    mike avera, says...
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection.

    You taped SEVERAL SEASONS before you figured this out? You should have
    checked the first tape before moving on. It would have saved you a lot
    of trouble.

    Mark Spatny, Jul 14, 2004
  5. mike avera

    Biz Guest

    "mike avera" <> wrote in message
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    > there a way around it?

    macrovision

    You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put there
    for a reason.

    Biz, Jul 14, 2004
  6. mike avera

    Bill Guest

    > You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

    there
    > for a reason.

    You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
    Macrovision is disabled by default.

    Bill, Jul 14, 2004
  7. mike avera

    Justin Guest

    Bill wrote on [Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:04:49 GMT]:

    >> You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

    > there
    >> for a reason.
    >>

    > You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
    > Macrovision is disabled by default.

    Or use an older VCR

    Justin, Jul 14, 2004
  8. mike avera

    mike avera Guest

    well, the reason i had taped several seasons without checking them is
    that i had previously taped him a bunch of Twilight Zone eps from dvd
    with no problem. those had turned out fine.
    the vcr i'm using is about 6 years old. it's one of those vcr inside the
    tv dealies.

    mike avera, Jul 14, 2004
  9. mike avera

    Biz Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message

    > > You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

    > there
    > > for a reason.
    > >

    > You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
    > Macrovision is disabled by default.

    That WOULD be finding a way around it IMO Bill. Although I find it hard to
    beleive that Philips can sell those with MV disabled by default. That is
    against the DVD licensing agreement that all player manufacturers are
    supposed to be following

    Biz, Jul 14, 2004
  10. mike avera

    mike avera Guest

    so...that Philips works or it doesnt?
    and exactly how old of a vcr would i need to find? 80's? early 90's?

    mike avera, Jul 14, 2004
  11. mike avera

    Mike Davis Guest

    mike avera wrote:
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    > there a way around it?

    Mike, forget about the other snippy responses. Here is exactly what you
    need. It goes on the input side of the VCR and will allow you to copy
    ANY DVD <ggg.> Here's the link;
    http://www.simacorp.com/products/item.ep.html?id=478
    I used an earlier version, the original SCC for years and they work great.
    All the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Jul 15, 2004
  12. "mike avera" <> wrote in message
    > so...that Philips works or it doesnt?
    > and exactly how old of a vcr would i need to find? 80's? early 90's?

    You need a VCR that does not have an auto contrast circuit. All modern
    VCR's have this circuit, but only because it is illegal to sell any VCR that
    lacks it in the United States.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Jul 15, 2004
  13. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Bill wrote on [Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:04:49 GMT]:
    > >
    > >> You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

    > > there
    > >> for a reason.
    > >>

    > > You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
    > > Macrovision is disabled by default.

    > Or use an older VCR

    LOL! A VCR older than most people posting on this NG!
    An easier option is a copygaurd eliminator, but those were made for people
    who mostly copied rental tapes, and there are likely very few people who
    still bother to do that....

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jul 19, 2004
  14. mike avera

    Bill Guest

    > LOL! A VCR older than most people posting on this NG!
    > An easier option is a copygaurd eliminator, but those were made for people
    > who mostly copied rental tapes, and there are likely very few people who
    > still bother to do that....

    Even worse, under most circumstances the VCR would probably have to be a
    Betamax. Macrovision confuses the video gain circuitry in VHS decks, ruining
    attempts to copy. I believe the way that VHS adjusts video gain (using the
    vertical blank interval as a reference, which is where the Macrovision
    flashing pulses are inserted) is the same on most units, even the early ones
    from the late 70s.

    Bill, Jul 19, 2004
  15. mike avera

    Justin Guest

    Joseph S. Powell, III wrote on [Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:57:58 -0500]:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >> > there
    >> >>

    >> > You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
    >> > Macrovision is disabled by default.

    >> Or use an older VCR

    > LOL! A VCR older than most people posting on this NG!

    hardly. I have an RCA from the early 90s that doesn't support
    Macrovision.

    Justin, Jul 19, 2004
  16. mike avera

    Justin Guest

    Bill wrote on [Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:18:49 GMT]:

    >> LOL! A VCR older than most people posting on this NG!
    >> An easier option is a copygaurd eliminator, but those were made for people
    >> who mostly copied rental tapes, and there are likely very few people who
    >> still bother to do that....
    >>

    > Even worse, under most circumstances the VCR would probably have to be a
    > Betamax. Macrovision confuses the video gain circuitry in VHS decks, ruining
    > attempts to copy. I believe the way that VHS adjusts video gain (using the
    > vertical blank interval as a reference, which is where the Macrovision
    > flashing pulses are inserted) is the same on most units, even the early ones
    > from the late 70s.

    Odd. I can make fine copies with my early 90s VHS deck.

    Justin, Jul 19, 2004
  17. mike avera

    Bill Guest

    > > Even worse, under most circumstances the VCR would probably have to be a
    > > Betamax. Macrovision confuses the video gain circuitry in VHS decks,

    ruining
    > > attempts to copy. I believe the way that VHS adjusts video gain (using

    the
    > > vertical blank interval as a reference, which is where the Macrovision
    > > flashing pulses are inserted) is the same on most units, even the early

    ones
    > > from the late 70s.

    > Odd. I can make fine copies with my early 90s VHS deck.

    That's why I used the term "most units" in my response.

    Bill, Jul 19, 2004
  18. mike avera

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    mike avera wrote:
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    > there a way around it?

    I have had good results by using a different wiring system. Generally
    macrovision is removed from the signal by the TV, so if your TV has AV
    out connectors, connect the VCR to them, rather than to the AV out on
    the DVD player.

    Wiring becomes DVD Player to AV IN on TV, then AV OUT on TV to AV IN on VCR.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jul 20, 2004
  19. mike avera

    Darkknight Guest

    mike avera wrote:
    > i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
    > the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
    > had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
    > there a way around it?

    macrovision copy protection is the problem,
    there are several ways to overcome this, the easiest of which is to
    disable the macrovision on your DVD player (most can be disabled) goto
    www.videohelp.com (also known as www.vcdhelp.com and www.dvdrhelp.com)
    and go into the hack section (down the lefthand column) and enter your
    DVD player into the search engine, if there is a hack it should be
    listed there. It's normally just a matter of entering a key sequence
    with the DVD drawer open. generally making the player region 0 (plays
    any region)also removes the marcovision, but there could also be a
    seperate key entry

    Darkknight, Jul 21, 2004