    foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask how much
    it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy protection to
    each DVD?
    freddy, Dec 16, 2006

  2. freddy

    JoeBloe Guest

    On 16 Dec 2006 05:51:05 -0800, "freddy" <>
    Gave us:

    >I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy protection, many
    >foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask how much
    >it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy protection to
    >each DVD?

    Pennies per film. Making it less than a penny per disc. It is an
    inherent part of the encoding process, and requires no additional
    labor, therefore there is no additional cost incurred. The exception
    is for MacroVision encoding, as it has licensing royalty fee
    requisites. It is also not used much anymore as VCR use requires the
    viewer to take a serious dive in quality, so it is not a big theft
    concern anymore.
    JoeBloe, Dec 16, 2006

  3. freddy

    Bill's News Guest

    http://www.dvdcca.org/
    Bill's News, Dec 16, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    freddy <> wrote:
    >I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy protection, many
    >foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask how much
    >it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy protection to
    >each DVD?

    I think it's part of an attitude that so many people in the US will
    rip-off the DVDs. I've received several DVDs from outside
    the US and none of them have the white sticker on the top with the
    bar-code that seals the disk, nor do they have any other of the
    supposedly tamper-resistant tapes on the other edges, nor do they
    have the anti-theft piece inside the package.

    IOW the US manufactaures assume that many will try to steal the
    product, while that appears not to be true outside the U.S.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 30, 2006
  5. freddy

    Bill's News Guest

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > freddy <> wrote:
    >> I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy
    >> protection, many
    >> foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask
    >> how much
    >> it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy
    >> protection to
    >> each DVD?

    > I think it's part of an attitude that so many people in the US
    > will
    > rip-off the DVDs. I've received several DVDs from outside
    > the US and none of them have the white sticker on the top with
    > the
    > bar-code that seals the disk, nor do they have any other of
    > the
    > supposedly tamper-resistant tapes on the other edges, nor do
    > they
    > have the anti-theft piece inside the package.
    >
    > IOW the US manufactaures assume that many will try to steal
    > the
    > product, while that appears not to be true outside the U.S.
    >
    > Bill

    You could be right, Bill. I'm sure that the giant chain
    retailers here did not opt easily for the added expense of theft
    protection for all products that take leg easily. I noticed in
    several markets which pile up fireplace wood outside for sale at
    this time of year, that there was a "guard" watching the pile.
    I've no idea what these expenses add to the per-item price at
    the register - but it surely doesn't come for free.

    Maybe there is an everything-for-nothing mind-set here:
    insurance fraud, tax evasion, copyright infringement, petty
    theft. I remember when it was otherwise - retailers simply
    wrote off theft. In one or two more generations no-one will
    recall the time when anti-theft devices were not the norm.

    I'd hate to think that this is exclusively a U.S. retail (or
    internet transfer) problem, but I've no international shopping
    experience to compare with. If we are still the land of
    opportunity, I hope it's because one can MAKE it here, not
    merely because one can STEAL it here:-(

    And maybe it's filtered its way up to the top too - mega fraud
    at the corporate and government levels. We're now a nation who
    writes off billions of savings and tax dollars in theft. When
    will corporate and government anti-theft devices be installed?
    ;-0)

    But, are we really the only nation on the globe struggling with
    moral issues? Or do we just have more to steal than the others?
    Bill's News, Dec 30, 2006