    My car does have stiff suspension (factory setup, nothing obscene), I'm
    sure this increases the problem, but I can definitely see a difference
    in the frequency of skipping with a normal CD, and a copy-protected CD.
    I'm A Trampoline, Mar 17, 2006

  2. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:34:09 +1300, someone purporting to be I'm A
    Trampoline didst scrawl:

    > I've heard the copy protection mechanism is trade off against error
    > correction, is this true? Would that also make copy protected CDs more
    > prone to skipping?

    *SNIP*

    Yes, that's correct for at least some implementations. Basically those
    schemes put in errors that a music CD player can correct for but a CD-ROM
    drive can't because of the difference in design. Those errors stop the
    CD's being played in CD drives that are based around CD-ROM componentry,
    which is resulting in increasing numbers of players being unable to cope
    with them due to the use of multi-purpose IC's for CD playback.

    It's a very nasty trick, since the CD's technically comply with Red Book
    but aren't actually compatible with almost anything that doesn't use a
    dedicated music CD IC.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Mar 17, 2006

  3. I'm A Trampoline

    s.t.e.v.e. Guest

    I'm A Trampoline wrote:

    > My car does have stiff suspension (factory setup, nothing obscene), I'm
    > sure this increases the problem, but I can definitely see a difference
    > in the frequency of skipping with a normal CD, and a copy-protected CD.

    Get an MP3 / OGG player for your car...then rip the CD on a Linux system and
    play the songs in your car.

    If the buggers are selling you - effectively - crippled media, you owe it to
    yourself to correct to the problem and hear the music you paid good money
    to hear.

    It may not be legal, but you know in your gut it's morally and ethically the
    right thing to do.
    s.t.e.v.e., Mar 18, 2006
  4. s.t.e.v.e. wrote:

    > Get an MP3 / OGG player for your car...then rip the CD on a Linux system and
    > play the songs in your car.
    >
    > If the buggers are selling you - effectively - crippled media, you owe it to
    > yourself to correct to the problem and hear the music you paid good money
    > to hear.
    >
    > It may not be legal, but you know in your gut it's morally and ethically the
    > right thing to do.

    Yeah, I have an iPod, I'm just wanting on a jack to jack cable I bought
    online so I can plug it in (that's why I'm using regular CDs at the moment).

    One thing that should be mentioned is that Sony Records in NZ are dead
    set against format shifting. If Sony's copy-protected CDs have the same
    problem (I haven't tried one yet), then this would make for the ultimate
    in irony: Sony Electronics selling me a CD player, Sony records selling
    me a CD that won't play properly on it, and to add insult to injury,
    opposing me shifting this into any other format so I can listen to it in
    the car.
    I'm A Trampoline, Mar 21, 2006
  5. I'm A Trampoline

    Robert Cooze Guest

    I'm A Trampoline wrote:
    > s.t.e.v.e. wrote:
    >>
    >> Get an MP3 / OGG player for your car...then rip the CD on a Linux
    >>8><

    > One thing that should be mentioned is that Sony Records in NZ are dead
    > set against format shifting. If Sony's copy-protected CDs have the same
    > problem (I haven't tried one yet), then this would make for the ultimate
    > in irony: Sony Electronics selling me a CD player, Sony records selling
    > me a CD that won't play properly on it, and to add insult to injury,
    > opposing me shifting this into any other format so I can listen to it in
    > the car.

    and they will also sell you the mini disk as well for the car !

    Robert Cooze, Mar 21, 2006