    more at <url>†text. But when I tried it again, it didn’t happen. So
    whatever shenanigans they were pulling doesn’t even work reliably.

    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100601/0047399633.shtml>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 4, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 4, 11:55 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > I came across this a week or two ago: when I copied some text from a web
    > page and tried to paste it elsewhere, it somehow included this extra “read
    > more at <url>” text. But when I tried it again, it didn’t happen. So
    > whatever shenanigans they were pulling doesn’t even work reliably.
    >
    > <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100601/0047399633.shtml>

    Years ago I discovered that when I pasted an article from the Herald
    or similar sites into an MS spreadsheet or into MS Word, my firewall
    showed that some info was sent to the Herald. Even if there were hours
    betreen the Copy and the Paste, it still happened. Clearly the Copy
    puts the URL in with the copied data.

    When I pasted into Notepad, there was no info sent.

    Matty F, Jun 4, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Jun 4, 11:55 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> I came across this a week or two ago: when I copied some text from a web
    >> page and tried to paste it elsewhere, it somehow included this extra “read
    >> more at <url>” text. But when I tried it again, it didn’t happen. So
    >> whatever shenanigans they were pulling doesn’t even work reliably.
    >>
    >> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100601/0047399633.shtml>

    > Years ago I discovered that when I pasted an article from the Herald
    > or similar sites into an MS spreadsheet or into MS Word, my firewall
    > showed that some info was sent to the Herald. Even if there were hours
    > betreen the Copy and the Paste, it still happened. Clearly the Copy
    > puts the URL in with the copied data.
    >
    > When I pasted into Notepad, there was no info sent.

    pasting a small image which the app you are pasting into has to
    retrieve. notepad only does text so the source app will only provide
    text, not formatted stuff in html.

    Richard, Jun 4, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 4, 9:20 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > On Jun 4, 11:55 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> I came across this a week or two ago: when I copied some text from a web
    > >> page and tried to paste it elsewhere, it somehow included this extra “read
    > >> more at <url>” text. But when I tried it again, it didn’t happen. So
    > >> whatever shenanigans they were pulling doesn’t even work reliably.

    > >> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100601/0047399633.shtml>

    > > Years ago I discovered that when I pasted an article from the Herald
    > > or similar sites into an MS spreadsheet or into MS Word, my firewall
    > > showed that some info was sent to the Herald. Even if there were hours
    > > betreen the Copy and the Paste, it still happened. Clearly the Copy
    > > puts the URL in with the copied data.

    > > When I pasted into Notepad, there was no info sent.

    > pasting a small image which the app you are pasting into has to
    > retrieve. notepad only does text so the source app will only provide
    > text, not formatted stuff in html.

    I never copy and paste images from the Herald.
    Sure I may be copying HTML, but the HTML is included at the time I do
    the copy so does not have to be retrieved again when I do the paste.
    I KNOW that because if I block the message to the Herald when I do the
    paste, the data is still copied OK including the HTML.

    Matty F, Jun 4, 2010