    but doesn't say how. So I think it must be possible.

    Thanks in advance for help,

    Bob Wilson

    Bob Wilson, Nov 19, 2009

  2. Bob Wilson

    Bob Wilson Guest

    On Nov 19, 4:05 pm, Bob Wilson <> wrote:
    > I am trying to put a new IOS image on a 2821 box, and TFTP after many
    > many tries with different PCs is not working.  I have a USB drive
    > formatted to FAT that has the image on it, and when I do #sh usbflash0
    > it sees the image and lists the filename correctly.  But when I try
    > #copy usbflash0 flash and a few other things, it tells me the source
    > and destination are the same.
    >
    > I did RTFM as best I could -- I have a library of Cisco books but I
    > did all my Cisco stuff ten years ago when there were no USB ports.
    > One post in this loop says "copy the image from your USB drive..."
    > but doesn't say how.  So I think it must be possible.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for help,
    >
    > Bob Wilson

    PS -- It's not the USB I'm so interested in solving, it's getting the
    image onto the router. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, somebody
    tell me and suggest another way I can get it on there. Thanks again

    Bob Wilson, Nov 20, 2009

  3. Bob Wilson

    Morph Guest

    In the message
    <> Bob
    Wilson wrote:

    | On Nov 19, 4:05 pm, Bob Wilson <> wrote:
    | > I am trying to put a new IOS image on a 2821 box, and TFTP after many
    | > many tries with different PCs is not working.  I have a USB drive
    | > formatted to FAT that has the image on it, and when I do #sh usbflash0
    | > it sees the image and lists the filename correctly.  But when I try
    | > #copy usbflash0 flash and a few other things, it tells me the source
    | > and destination are the same.
    | >
    | > I did RTFM as best I could -- I have a library of Cisco books but I
    | > did all my Cisco stuff ten years ago when there were no USB ports.
    | > One post in this loop says "copy the image from your USB drive..."
    | > but doesn't say how.  So I think it must be possible.
    | >
    | > Thanks in advance for help,
    | >
    | > Bob Wilson
    | >

    | PS -- It's not the USB I'm so interested in solving, it's getting the
    | image onto the router. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, somebody
    | tell me and suggest another way I can get it on there. Thanks again

    Try using ftp.
    copy ftp flash

    Morph, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Bob Wilson

    Bob Wilson Guest

    On Nov 20, 3:56 pm, Morph <> wrote:
    > In the message
    > <> Bob
    >
    > Wilson wrote:
    >
    > | On Nov 19, 4:05 pm, Bob Wilson <> wrote:
    > | > I am trying to put a new IOS image on a 2821 box, and TFTP after many
    > | > many tries with different PCs is not working.  I have a USB drive
    > | > formatted to FAT that has the image on it, and when I do #sh usbflash0
    > | > it sees the image and lists the filename correctly.  But when I try
    > | > #copy usbflash0 flash and a few other things, it tells me the source
    > | > and destination are the same.
    > | >
    > | > I did RTFM as best I could -- I have a library of Cisco books but I
    > | > did all my Cisco stuff ten years ago when there were no USB ports.
    > | > One post in this loop says "copy the image from your USB drive..."
    > | > but doesn't say how.  So I think it must be possible.
    > | >
    > | > Thanks in advance for help,
    > | >
    > | > Bob Wilson
    > | >

    > | PS -- It's not the USB I'm so interested in solving, it's getting the
    > | image onto the router.  If I'm barking up the wrong tree, somebody
    > | tell me and suggest another way I can get it on there.  Thanks again
    >
    > Try using ftp.
    > copy ftp flash

    I'd thought of that earlier but didn't have an FTP server locally.
    Since you suggested it, I got a server and installed it, and the image
    slurped right over without a hitch. Thanks much

    Bob W

    Bob Wilson, Nov 21, 2009
  5. Bob Wilson

    bod43 Guest

    On 6 Dec, 04:46, awstiver <> wrote:
    > Some tftp servers have limitations on the size of file that can be
    > transferred, and 2821 images can be pretty large.  I've had success with
    > the latest tftp server from Solarwinds, and it's free.

    I think all tftp servers have a limit of 64k blocks. Blocks are
    usually 512 bytes but perhaps bigger ones are possible now,
    no idea. Some old tftp implementations were limited to 32k
    blocks due to incorrect implementation (signed instead of
    unsigned int).

    64k x 512 bytes = 32M.

    ftp is the future for IOS images.

    Serv-U is ideal for ftp (windows binaries available)
    tftpd32 for tftp except that the new versions
    have dhcp server which may be on by default
    so take care.

    Of course non-windows has it all in already.

    bod43, Dec 12, 2009
  6. Bob Wilson

    Stephen Guest

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:47:57 -0800 (PST), bod43 <>
    wrote:

    >On 6 Dec, 04:46, awstiver <> wrote:
    >> Some tftp servers have limitations on the size of file that can be
    >> transferred, and 2821 images can be pretty large.  I've had success with
    >> the latest tftp server from Solarwinds, and it's free.

    >I think all tftp servers have a limit of 64k blocks. Blocks are
    >usually 512 bytes but perhaps bigger ones are possible now,
    >no idea. Some old tftp implementations were limited to 32k
    >blocks due to incorrect implementation (signed instead of
    >unsigned int).
    >
    >64k x 512 bytes = 32M.
    >
    >ftp is the future for IOS images.
    >
    >Serv-U is ideal for ftp (windows binaries available)
    >tftpd32 for tftp except that the new versions
    > have dhcp server which may be on by default
    > so take care.
    >
    >Of course non-windows has it all in already.

    i still use an ancient 3Com utility 3Cdaemon (on windows).

    runs as a user mode program, and has TFTP client and server, FTP
    server and a Syslog daemon.

    A quick google shows it has actually been updated only 3 years ago....
    http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl