    downloaded over the last 7 years.

    Are there special programs you all can recommend or is trying to use
    my old drive as a slave drive the way to go?

    Martin Fetleson, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Martin Fetleson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Martin Fetleson) wrote in news:40417787.13629671
    @news.compuserve.com:

    > is trying to use
    > my old drive as a slave drive the way to go?

    This would be a perfect way to transfer just files across. Cost is
    nothing, and it is very speedy.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Martin Fetleson

    Robert Baer Guest

    Martin Fetleson wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I recently took my computer in to be repaired and the bottom line is,
    > he told me I needed a new motherboard though my hard drive was still
    > fine. Based on his repair price quote, I decided to spend a little
    > more and buy a new computer as my old one was 7 years old.
    >
    > My question is, how do I get access to my old hard drive (files)? I
    > don't want settings, or anything else like that, just files I have
    > downloaded over the last 7 years.
    >
    > Are there special programs you all can recommend or is trying to use
    > my old drive as a slave drive the way to go?

    Hard drive to hard drive copying of personal files is the fastest
    method; check, double check and triple check one week later to see that
    all files have been copied, as one could forget some directories...

    I *BACKUP* by cloning the computer's HD to a same-sized HD (in
    removeable HD mount), as this is the fastest and least expensive way to
    go.
    Furthermore, when the computer's HD goes bad, all i need to do is toss
    it and replace with the backup.
    No 1hr+ OS install, and daze of program installs...
    ....or umpteen $$ tapes to resore from, for completeness.

    Robert Baer, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Martin Fetleson

    Wizard Guest

    Remove the old drive and temporarily hook it up where your new CD drive
    is. Reboot and it should be seen .. if not you will have to change the
    jumpers on it. Then once it appears just copy and paste the whole drive
    to a new folder called "old Stuff". This is how I do it everyday.

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Martin Fetleson

    Jerry G. Guest

    Remove the old drive from the old machine, and install it as a second hard
    drive on the new one. You can copy the files across. Afterwards you can
    leave it in there as a small data drive if you want to. This is if you plan
    to scrap the 7 year old machine, which is technically sort of useless.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Feb 29, 2004
  6. Martin Fetleson

    Wizard Guest

    Must be an echo in here .......

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Martin Fetleson

    bearman Guest

    > Hello all,
    > I recently took my computer in to be repaired and the bottom line is,
    > he told me I needed a new motherboard though my hard drive was still
    > fine. Based on his repair price quote, I decided to spend a little
    > more and buy a new computer as my old one was 7 years old.
    >
    > My question is, how do I get access to my old hard drive (files)? I
    > don't want settings, or anything else like that, just files I have
    > downloaded over the last 7 years.
    >
    > Are there special programs you all can recommend or is trying to use
    > my old drive as a slave drive the way to go?

    The store that sells you the new computer should copy all the stuff you want
    from the old computer to the new one as part of the service. The place
    where I bought a new computer did that and that sold me on them.

    Bearman

    bearman, Feb 29, 2004
  8. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:36:18 -0500, "Jerry G." <>
    wrote:

    >Remove the old drive from the old machine, and install it as a second hard
    >drive on the new one. You can copy the files across. Afterwards you can
    >leave it in there as a small data drive if you want to. This is if you plan
    >to scrap the 7 year old machine, which is technically sort of useless.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Greetings,
    >
    >Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG

    Hey, thanks everybody. I put the old hard drive in my new computer
    as a 'slave drive' and now I have access to everything and at no cost.
    Great newsgroup here!

    Martin Fetleson, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Martin Fetleson

    Professor Guest

    If you just want to transfer files you can temporarily make the old hdd a
    slave by following the direcitons for slave jumper settings which are
    printed on the hdd or if not on the web site of the hdd. Mostly this
    involves removing the jumper cap. Then plug in the ide connector from the
    new hdd which should have an extra connector on the same ribbon cable. Make
    sure the part that is colored red on the edge or sometimes blue or black on
    the edge is on the same side as the ide drive that they have which would be
    on the side that the power is plugged in. Before you start touching
    anything inside the computer make sure you touch your had to the metal of
    the power supply or any unpainted metal of the case which will discharge any
    static electricity your body might have which will prevent damage to
    anything you touch. Once you have connected the old hard drive boot up and
    the bios should recognize it automatically but you can enter the bios if it
    doesn't and do an auto detect. If the drive is recognized you can now copy
    files from one drive to the other. Don't copy installed programs but rather
    the zipped form or install program since the ones already installed will
    have components in Window system and other places. There is no problme
    copying text files or image files or even HTML files as well as sound files
    or video files. Make sure everythign you copied works fine before you
    remove the old hard drive. You can get cases which hold old hard drives and
    use them for external storage. Some of these devices work pretty good.

    Professor, Mar 2, 2004
  10. Martin Fetleson

    Spajky Guest

    >>> "Martin Fetleson" <> wrote in message

    >>> My question is, how do I get access to my old hard drive (files)? I
    >>> don't want settings, or anything else like that, just files I have
    >>> downloaded over the last 7 years.

    all those years files & did not made any CDr back ups?
    You won on a play called "russian roulette", since you have all those
    files still intact! :) ...

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Apr 2, 2004