    You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer

    Thanks!
    blcknwyte, Oct 16, 2006

  2. "blcknwyte" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    > can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer

    It depends. Mostly, you can. If you are using XP (Windows) and a card
    reader, the card is recognized as a drive and you can write to it. Not
    recommended, by the way.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 16, 2006

  3. blcknwyte

    frederick Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "blcknwyte" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    >> can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer

    > It depends. Mostly, you can. If you are using XP (Windows) and a card
    > reader, the card is recognized as a drive and you can write to it. Not
    > recommended, by the way.

    Not recommended?
    Why on earth not?
    frederick, Oct 16, 2006
  4. blcknwyte

    Bob Williams Guest

    blcknwyte wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    > can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes you can.
    But it will probably NOT be viewable on your camera's screen.
    You will get some type of error message like,"Incompatible Format".
    But if you run the card on your own or another computer it will show up
    and be editable if you so desire.
    David Taylor, (a frequent contributor to this NG) has a little program
    that I think permits a saved image to be viewed on a camera.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Oct 16, 2006
  5. "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> "blcknwyte" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    >>> can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer

    >> It depends. Mostly, you can. If you are using XP (Windows) and a card
    >> reader, the card is recognized as a drive and you can write to it. Not
    >> recommended, by the way.

    > Not recommended?
    > Why on earth not?

    Because your camera can become confused.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 16, 2006
  6. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 17, 2006
  7. "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:25:05 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Charles Schuler"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Because your camera can become confused.

    > Really, how do you think most if not all firmware updates are performed?

    That's a totally different situation.

    Hey, if you want to write to your card from your PC ... have a ball!
    Charles Schuler, Oct 17, 2006
  8. blcknwyte

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:25:05 -0400, "Charles Schuler"
    <> wrote:

    >"frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>> "blcknwyte" <> wrote in message

    >>> It depends. Mostly, you can. If you are using XP (Windows) and a card
    >>> reader, the card is recognized as a drive and you can write to it. Not
    >>> recommended, by the way.

    >> Not recommended?
    >> Why on earth not?

    >Because your camera can become confused.

    Doing this is one of the newer versions of "SneakerNet."
    True, the many cameras won't recognize such image files, but the OP
    didn't specify writing to the card for use in a camera.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Oct 17, 2006
  9. blcknwyte

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I do that frequently so that I can show selected photos (depending upon my
    audience's taste) on the TV hooked up to the camera. BUT, if you alter a
    photo in anyway the camera MAY not recognize it and it will display an error
    message.

    Ed Mullikin, Oct 17, 2006
  10. Bob Williams wrote:
    > blcknwyte wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    >> can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Yes you can.
    > But it will probably NOT be viewable on your camera's screen.
    > You will get some type of error message like,"Incompatible Format".
    > But if you run the card on your own or another computer it will show
    > up and be editable if you so desire.
    > David Taylor, (a frequent contributor to this NG) has a little program
    > that I think permits a saved image to be viewed on a camera.
    > Bob Williams

    Please see TVwriter here:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/imaging.html

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 17, 2006
  11. blcknwyte

    tomm42 Guest

    On Oct 16, 5:18 pm, "blcknwyte" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    > can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer
    >
    > Thanks!

    Using a card reader - yes, using a camera - not recommended. Canon
    still doesn't have their cameras showing as drives on a computer and
    only allows downloads. Nikon I'm not certain about as I only use card
    readers with mine. At work we have a hospital wide network but the IT
    department doesn't recommend allowing disk sharing on computers for
    security reasons. So we use our memory cards for sneaker net. We always
    format a card in camera before using the card in a camera. So we wright
    back and forth to the memory cards.

    Tom
    tomm42, Oct 17, 2006
  12. Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "blcknwyte" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>You can transfer images from the camera (Sandisk card) to the PC. But
    >>can you transfer the images back to the card from the computer

    > It depends. Mostly, you can. If you are using XP (Windows) and a card
    > reader, the card is recognized as a drive and you can write to it. Not
    > recommended, by the way.

    It will work with ANY version of windows.

    I do it all the time - (used W98, now XP) I use a card reader. (never
    tried it in the camera)

    I created a new folder on the card example "Photos" and put the images
    in that folder.

    Easy way to transfer them to other computers or the photo finishing
    store for printing.

    Now that I moved to the D50 with the SD card I use my older CP5700 CF
    cards as storage devices too.
    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Oct 18, 2006