    through an USB port without infecting the host so that I can copy the files
    I need?
    Any help gratefully received
    Brian Pimm, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Brian Pimm

    jc Guest

    Brian Pimm wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am unable to load Windows XPHome SP 2 due to virus.
    > When I boot up, windows says loading but then goes to saving your
    > settings and logging off, The same in safe mode.I want to save some of
    > the files and don't mind losing the rest.I have tried to use a Knoppix
    > disc[ tested OK ]but won't load from 'start from CD '

    What do you mean it "won't load?" Give a full description of the
    sequence. Do you see any lights? What do you see on the screen? Check
    the boot order in the BIOS settings.

    > Can I fit the drive to an external case and connect to a clean computer
    > through an USB port without infecting the host so that I can copy the
    > files I need?

    There are converter kits for this. Google "usb to ide sata". But there
    is some risk that your files are infected. Malicious code can be
    executed from a external drive as well. Scan it with Clam from the
    Knoppix CD, and if you are confident, start the recovery process from
    there. After that I would suggest that you erase the hard drive before
    installing Windows again, and start backing up your files religiously!

    > Any help gratefully received

    jc
    jc, Dec 4, 2008

  3. Brian Pimm