    Bucky Guest

    looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
    image to another.

    Bucky, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Bucky

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Bucky <> wrote:

    > looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
    > image to another.

    jhead. Google it. :)

    Paul Mitchum, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > jhead. Google it. :)

    thanks, I'll try it out, although it is command line only. Any other
    open source utility with a Windows GUI?

    Bucky, Dec 12, 2006
  4. Bucky

    THO Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bucky" <> wrote:

    > looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
    > image to another.

    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

    THO, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    THO wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

    Here's what I do for some digital photos:
    1. use gimp to edit (do some cloning touching up)
    2. save as TIFF to limit compression loss
    3. open TIFF with picasa to adjust color temperature (I really like
    picasa's color temperature slider)
    4. save as JPEG

    The Exif info is lost in step 2 when Gimp save as TIFF. So I wanted to
    copy the Exif info from the original JPEG to the final JPEG.

    Bucky, Dec 13, 2006
  6. >looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
    >image to another.

    I believe you can get exiftool to work under Windows. It's a
    wonderfully powerful and easy-to-use utility that lets you read and
    write exif data, including copying exif data from one file to
    another. (This would be useful, e.g., if you have a thumbnail image
    and want to include the exif data from the full image.)

    -Joel

    Free Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Dec 13, 2006
  7. Bucky

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Bucky <> wrote:

    > THO wrote:
    > > Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

    > Here's what I do for some digital photos:
    > 1. use gimp to edit (do some cloning touching up)
    > 2. save as TIFF to limit compression loss
    > 3. open TIFF with picasa to adjust color temperature (I really like
    > picasa's color temperature slider)
    > 4. save as JPEG
    >
    > The Exif info is lost in step 2 when Gimp save as TIFF. So I wanted to
    > copy the Exif info from the original JPEG to the final JPEG.

    Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
    a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
    the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.

    It would certainly make it simpler for you to [one-time] find a better
    program than to [every time] have to manually copy the data over. As I
    described in another thread, why don't you try using Adobe Lightroom -
    you can combine ALL those steps (and more, plus file management) into
    one program which THRIVES on the EXIF data, rather than discarding it.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  8. Bucky

    Dave Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > THO wrote:
    >> Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

    > Here's what I do for some digital photos:
    > 1. use gimp to edit (do some cloning touching up)
    > 2. save as TIFF to limit compression loss
    > 3. open TIFF with picasa to adjust color temperature (I really like
    > picasa's color temperature slider)
    > 4. save as JPEG
    >
    > The Exif info is lost in step 2 when Gimp save as TIFF. So I wanted to
    > copy the Exif info from the original JPEG to the final JPEG.

    Use the freebie Exifer. It will back up the exif info and then restore
    it when you want.Lots of other uses,renaming by exif info,editing exif
    and IPTC tags etc. I use it all the time.

    http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Ken Lucke wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Bucky <> wrote:
    >
    >> THO wrote:
    >>> Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

    >> Here's what I do for some digital photos:
    >> 1. use gimp to edit (do some cloning touching up)
    >> 2. save as TIFF to limit compression loss
    >> 3. open TIFF with picasa to adjust color temperature (I really like
    >> picasa's color temperature slider)
    >> 4. save as JPEG
    >>
    >> The Exif info is lost in step 2 when Gimp save as TIFF. So I wanted to
    >> copy the Exif info from the original JPEG to the final JPEG.

    > Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
    > a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
    > the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.
    >
    > It would certainly make it simpler for you to [one-time] find a better
    > program than to [every time] have to manually copy the data over. As I
    > described in another thread, why don't you try using Adobe Lightroom -
    > you can combine ALL those steps (and more, plus file management) into
    > one program which THRIVES on the EXIF data, rather than discarding it.

    [topic drift]

    Ken, or any other Mac user: Can you find your photos via Spotlight
    searching on the Metadata key words, or EXIF info, for that matter?

    --
    John McWilliams

    (Spotlight is a built in find feature on OSX, which I have seldom used.)

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Bucky

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, John
    McWilliams <> wrote:

    > Ken Lucke wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Bucky <> wrote:

    > >> Here's what I do for some digital photos:
    > >> 1. use gimp to edit (do some cloning touching up)
    > >> 2. save as TIFF to limit compression loss
    > >> 3. open TIFF with picasa to adjust color temperature (I really like
    > >> picasa's color temperature slider)
    > >> 4. save as JPEG
    > >>
    > >> The Exif info is lost in step 2 when Gimp save as TIFF. So I wanted to
    > >> copy the Exif info from the original JPEG to the final JPEG.

    > > Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
    > > a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
    > > the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.
    > >
    > > It would certainly make it simpler for you to [one-time] find a better
    > > program than to [every time] have to manually copy the data over. As I
    > > described in another thread, why don't you try using Adobe Lightroom -
    > > you can combine ALL those steps (and more, plus file management) into
    > > one program which THRIVES on the EXIF data, rather than discarding it.

    > [topic drift]
    >
    > Ken, or any other Mac user: Can you find your photos via Spotlight
    > searching on the Metadata key words, or EXIF info, for that matter?

    Hmmm, never tried (I just do it in Aperture, which has much more
    sophisticated search criteria).

    Hang on, let me give it a shot...

    Yup. Learched on "lighthouse", and all my pictures that have
    "lighthouse" as a keyword showed up, even if the name of the file
    didn't contain it (and getting info showed the keyword). Searched on
    "digital rebel xt" and digital rebel xti"and all those photos showed
    up, with the info showing it as "camera model".

    So yeah, Spotlight allows searching by EXIF keyword.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Bucky

    Rob-L Guest

    Try a program called Exifer. You can back up your exif info to a file and
    then re-apply it.

    Rob-L

    Rob-L, Dec 13, 2006
  12. Ken Lucke wrote:
    > In article <>, John
    > McWilliams <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ken Lucke wrote:

    >>> Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
    >>> a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
    >>> the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.
    >>>
    >>> It would certainly make it simpler for you to [one-time] find a better
    >>> program than to [every time] have to manually copy the data over. As I
    >>> described in another thread, why don't you try using Adobe Lightroom -
    >>> you can combine ALL those steps (and more, plus file management) into
    >>> one program which THRIVES on the EXIF data, rather than discarding it.

    >> [topic drift]
    >>
    >> Ken, or any other Mac user: Can you find your photos via Spotlight
    >> searching on the Metadata key words, or EXIF info, for that matter?

    > Hmmm, never tried (I just do it in Aperture, which has much more
    > sophisticated search criteria).
    >
    > Hang on, let me give it a shot...
    >
    > Yup. Learched on "lighthouse", and all my pictures that have
    > "lighthouse" as a keyword showed up, even if the name of the file
    > didn't contain it (and getting info showed the keyword). Searched on
    > "digital rebel xt" and digital rebel xti"and all those photos showed
    > up, with the info showing it as "camera model".
    >
    > So yeah, Spotlight allows searching by EXIF keyword.

    Thanks. Do you still have images you processed in LR, and do they show
    up? (Mine don't, so don't know whether it's a localized phenom. or
    something else.)

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2006
  13. Bucky

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, John
    McWilliams <> wrote:
    > >> Ken, or any other Mac user: Can you find your photos via Spotlight
    > >> searching on the Metadata key words, or EXIF info, for that matter?

    > > Hmmm, never tried (I just do it in Aperture, which has much more
    > > sophisticated search criteria).
    > >
    > > Hang on, let me give it a shot...
    > >
    > > Yup. Learched on "lighthouse", and all my pictures that have
    > > "lighthouse" as a keyword showed up, even if the name of the file
    > > didn't contain it (and getting info showed the keyword). Searched on
    > > "digital rebel xt" and digital rebel xti"and all those photos showed
    > > up, with the info showing it as "camera model".
    > >
    > > So yeah, Spotlight allows searching by EXIF keyword.
    > >

    > Thanks. Do you still have images you processed in LR, and do they show
    > up? (Mine don't, so don't know whether it's a localized phenom. or
    > something else.)

    I never entered any keywords in LR, I did it all (evenon the
    unrecognized .cr2 files) in Aperture, so there would be no way of
    telling. I guess I add some keywords to an image in LR and export it,
    just to see. 'ang on....

    .... OK, the results: both LR & Aperture append the keywords to any
    non-raw exported files, neither append it to the original raw file if
    it is exported (or a copy of it is), which is probably as it should be
    when they state that they never touch the original file.

    So, if you're having problems with LR not appending keywords to
    exported images (non-raw) it seems to probably be on your system.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  14. Ken Lucke wrote:
    >>> Hmmm, never tried (I just do it in Aperture, which has much more
    >>> sophisticated search criteria).
    >>>
    >>> Hang on, let me give it a shot...
    >>>
    >>> Yup. Learched on "lighthouse", and all my pictures that have
    >>> "lighthouse" as a keyword showed up, even if the name of the file
    >>> didn't contain it (and getting info showed the keyword). Searched on
    >>> "digital rebel xt" and digital rebel xti"and all those photos showed
    >>> up, with the info showing it as "camera model".
    >>>
    >>> So yeah, Spotlight allows searching by EXIF keyword.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Do you still have images you processed in LR, and do they show
    >> up? (Mine don't, so don't know whether it's a localized phenom. or
    >> something else.)

    > I never entered any keywords in LR, I did it all (evenon the
    > unrecognized .cr2 files) in Aperture, so there would be no way of
    > telling. I guess I add some keywords to an image in LR and export it,
    > just to see. 'ang on....
    >
    > .... OK, the results: both LR & Aperture append the keywords to any
    > non-raw exported files, neither append it to the original raw file if
    > it is exported (or a copy of it is), which is probably as it should be
    > when they state that they never touch the original file.
    > >

    > So, if you're having problems with LR not appending keywords to
    > exported images (non-raw) it seems to probably be on your system.

    Ooooowwwww. My D'Oh! But, thanks to what you just wrote, I realize that
    I was searching on terms that were attached only to the xml sidecars;
    that the particular images whose key words I was using Spotlight for on
    that computer hadn't been exported. D'Oh!

    And, yes, most of my searching will be within Lightroom, but I wanted to
    know whatever alternatives there were in case I stopped using it.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2006
  15. Bucky

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, John
    McWilliams <> wrote:

    > Ooooowwwww. My D'Oh! But, thanks to what you just wrote, I realize that
    > I was searching on terms that were attached only to the xml sidecars;
    > that the particular images whose key words I was using Spotlight for on
    > that computer hadn't been exported. D'Oh!

    I wondered if that might not be the case ;^)

    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  16. Bucky

    Guest

    "Bucky" <> writes:

    > looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
    > image to another.

    EXIFTOOL will do that, and a shitload of other stuff as well. You do have
    to install the chainsaw (perl) as well, but that is probably a plus.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    , Dec 14, 2006
  17. 0m (Paul Mitchum) writes:

    > Bucky <> wrote:
    >
    > > looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
    > > image to another.

    > jhead. Google it. :)

    I dunno, if you use Olympus cameras, jhead will corrupt the EXIF information.
    Much better is exiftool:
    http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 24, 2006
  18. Bucky

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:00:56 -0800, Ken Lucke <> wrote:

    >Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
    >a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
    >the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.

    Photoshop doesn't save all the existing EXIF data - it dumps the makernote part
    among other things. I use Exifer to put the original data back.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

    Charlie Choc, Dec 24, 2006