    Will the FireFox instructions work for SeaMonkey or should I just
    forget it?

    Writing HTML code isn't an option nor is FTPing the document.

    Charani, Aug 25, 2009

  2. Charani wrote:
    > I want to upload a transcription of a large document to my 110mb site
    > but I'm told this isn't possible. The Mozilla page I'm sent to in
    > order to remedy the situation is for FireFox which I don't use. I use
    > SeaMonkey.
    >
    > Will the FireFox instructions work for SeaMonkey or should I just
    > forget it?
    >
    > Writing HTML code isn't an option nor is FTPing the document.

    it should work as SM and FF basically come from the
    same stock, but see Ed's response.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 25, 2009

  3. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Charani wrote:
    >>> I want to upload a transcription of a large document to my 110mb site
    >>> but I'm told this isn't possible. The Mozilla page I'm sent to in
    >>> order to remedy the situation is for FireFox which I don't use. I use
    >>> SeaMonkey.

    >> A URL would be real helpful.
    >>>
    >>> Will the FireFox instructions work for SeaMonkey or should I just
    >>> forget it?

    >> The FF instructions /should/ work with SM. Since my crystal ball's
    >> battery died I have no idea what they say without a URL.
    >>>
    >>> Writing HTML code isn't an option

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >>> nor is FTPing the document.

    >> So how are you trying to upload this document to the Web server?
    >>

    > As I reflected on this I remembered:
    >
    > Windows, via Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer provides a managed FTP
    > upload capability. Essentially, a poor-man's FTP client. If you enter
    > the FTP address in either interface you will be prompted for username
    > and password. Mozilla products do not do this. There is a way to do
    > this in Moz products but it's not intuitive and has some security issues
    > associated with it.
    >
    > I'm making an assumption here (based on lack of response from the OP)
    > that, in fact, the OP is wanting to do an FTP upload to a Web server
    > (even if he doesn't know it).
    >
    > And, no, Firefox and SeaMonkey are not the best choice for that. That's
    > why I use an FTP client program (Globalscape's CuteFTP) for that purpose.
    >

    > However, if it's a must-have, put this in your Moz-based browser address
    > bar:
    >
    > ftp://[your_login_id]:[your_password]@ftp.[yourdomain].com/
    >
    > Silly-assed way of doing things but it works in a pinch.
    >
    > Instead, get a real FTP client:
    >
    > http://globalscape.com/products/ftp_clients.aspx
    >
    > http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

    Sorry Ed, but you're sort of wrong on that account.
    SeaMonkey DOES provide a way to upload files. You can
    do it either by the browser or by the webpage composer

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 26, 2009
  4. Charani

    Charani Guest

    Charani, Aug 26, 2009
  5. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:08:18 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Windows, via Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer provides a managed FTP
    > upload capability. Essentially, a poor-man's FTP client. If you enter
    > the FTP address in either interface you will be prompted for username
    > and password. Mozilla products do not do this. There is a way to do
    > this in Moz products but it's not intuitive and has some security issues
    > associated with it.

    I don't have an FTP address and I don't have IE on this PC.

    > I'm making an assumption here (based on lack of response from the OP)
    > that, in fact, the OP is wanting to do an FTP upload to a Web server
    > (even if he doesn't know it).

    I'm not around all the time.

    > And, no, Firefox and SeaMonkey are not the best choice for that. That's
    > why I use an FTP client program (Globalscape's CuteFTP) for that purpose.

    I know a number of people use CuteFTP but last I heard there were
    spyware issues with it.

    > However, if it's a must-have, put this in your Moz-based browser address
    > bar:
    >
    > ftp://[your_login_id]:[your_password]@ftp.[yourdomain].com/
    >
    > Silly-assed way of doing things but it works in a pinch.

    I'm not sure I understand that.

    I think it'll be easier to ask a IT consultant friend to upload the
    transcription for me.

    Thanks for the help.

    Charani, Aug 26, 2009
  6. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:44:51 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > You should be able to use a Mozilla browser to upload a file using
    > 110mb's Online File Manager. Or upgrade your account to use FTP.

    I don't understand the File Manager and I don't want to pay for a
    resource if I'm not going to use the site as seems to be the case
    right now.

    > I have no idea how you got sent there. Any Web host's browser based
    > file manager should work fine with SeaMonkey and Firefox. Mine does.

    I wanted to copy and paste the document, but it won't let me. Instead
    it sent me to that page.

    Charani, Aug 26, 2009
  7. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:32:52 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > You said you have a "110mb site" - how did you get the files on the
    > server in the first place?

    I haven't as yet. That's what I'm trying to do. I can type stuff in
    but that's not practical with a large document containing almost 900
    names with additional information on them all.

    Thanks for the vote of confidence in CuteFTP.

    Charani, Aug 26, 2009
  8. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:32:26 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > it should work as SM and FF basically come from the
    > same stock, but see Ed's response.

    Thanks :))

    Charani, Aug 26, 2009
  9. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> first, SeaMonkey is very different from firefox. One of the benefits
    >> of SM is you can upload your files from within the browser. First,
    >> you login to your ftp site, such as ftp://ftp.mozilla.org. Then you
    >> click on File, Upload File, and upload your files from there. You can
    >> get more information from here:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/browse_thread/thread/f36407e14931589f

    > Yeah, geez. I just tried it. When did that creep in?

    its always been there. Even the old Mozilla Suite had it.

    > And I think this is a stupid addition to SM. Warping one program into
    > doing what another should do. Oh, I get it, let's do what Internet
    > Exploder and Windows does!
    >
    > FTP is FTP. HTTP is a browser function.
    >
    > And I just tried to do this with SM to access my FTP space and ... what
    > a mess. If you're going to do something, do it well, or don't do it at
    > all.

    I never said it was perfect; however, others have found
    it useful.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 27, 2009
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Yeah, geez. I just tried it. When did that creep in?

    >> its always been there. Even the old Mozilla Suite had it.
    >>

    > Apparently not in October 2005:
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=331064&start=0
    >
    > And not in Firefox previous to version 1.5.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/FTP_Authentication
    >
    > which gives the same method I originally suggested in this thread.

    two separate things Ed, two separate things. Mozilla
    Suite has, as far as I know, always had the "File,
    Upload File" function. Firefox never did. However,
    few people used it.

    As for http://kb.mozillazine.org/FTP_Authentication
    that explains how to logon to your site.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 27, 2009
  11. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 03:57:33 -0400, Paul wrote:

    > How can it be "my 110mb site" if you don't own it? You have to get
    > permission from the site owner to upload, and presumeably that
    > same 'permission' will be accompanied with instructions. You - an
    > idiot - or what?

    No, you're the idiot. If you'd checked the site out first, you
    wouldn't have made such a fool of yourself.

    Goodbye!

    Charani, Aug 28, 2009