    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Apr 24, 2007

  2. <Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    > I'm playing a video from a VCR player though an AVerMedia card in my
    > PC to be recorded to the hard drive
    > When I press record, AVerMedia throws up a "Recording this Video is
    > prohibited" message and won't record/continue
    >
    > So I seem to be needing software or hardware to intercept the
    > macrovision output between the VCR player and the AVerMedia card
    >
    > I have looked at various Digital Video Stabilizers, but am unsure
    > which would suit my needs best and also I only have a handful of
    > macrovision tapes, so I don't want to invest too much
    >
    > Can anyone offer helpful suggestions please
    >
    > I'm in the UK
    > --
    > Martin
    > ©¿©¬

    Macrovision is the copy protection used on VHS.
    You require a "macrovision stripper stabiliser" device.
    These are standalone devices that you connect VCR
    to and then to PC input via S-video or component inputs.
    These devices are sold in UK by Maplins and Tandy, or
    most dedicated Audio video outlets and cost sub £20.
    They will be marketed under such terms as "video
    copy enhancer" etc.
    As you're UK, just pop into any Maplins and the salesman
    will know exactly what you require - they used to sell
    various kit with several other options included ranging
    from £12 - £40.
    There is no software to install to do this function,
    the encryption has to be stripped at import by these
    simple but effective devices.

    Mentally IN-sane, Apr 24, 2007

  3. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:09:32 +0100, Mentally IN-sane wrote:

    ><Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I'm playing a video from a VCR player though an AVerMedia card in my
    >> PC to be recorded to the hard drive
    >> When I press record, AVerMedia throws up a "Recording this Video is
    >> prohibited" message and won't record/continue

    <snip>

    >Macrovision is the copy protection used on VHS.
    >You require a "macrovision stripper stabiliser" device.
    >These are standalone devices that you connect VCR
    >to and then to PC input via S-video or component inputs.
    >These devices are sold in UK by Maplins and Tandy, or

    Nice to see them back in Maplins, last time I needed 1 they just stopped
    selling them because of copy protection reasons :)

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 24, 2007
  4. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:09:32 +0100, Mentally IN-sane wrote:
    >

    >><Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> I'm playing a video from a VCR player though an AVerMedia card in my
    >>> PC to be recorded to the hard drive
    >>> When I press record, AVerMedia throws up a "Recording this Video is
    >>> prohibited" message and won't record/continue
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >>
    >>Macrovision is the copy protection used on VHS.
    >>You require a "macrovision stripper stabiliser" device.
    >>These are standalone devices that you connect VCR
    >>to and then to PC input via S-video or component inputs.
    >>These devices are sold in UK by Maplins and Tandy, or

    > Nice to see them back in Maplins, last time I needed 1 they just stopped
    > selling them because of copy protection reasons :)

    My understanding is they never actually stopped selling them,
    just a subtle renaming exercise, the term "macrovision stripping"
    etc is no longer used, they are termed "copy enhancers" or
    "stabilizers", They also now include other functions such as
    s-video -to- scart, and/or multiple device connections - DVD,
    VCR etc, but they include the tell-all blurb: "make perfect copies
    everytime"

    Mentally IN-sane, Apr 24, 2007
  5. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:15:47 +0100, Mentally IN-sane wrote:

    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:09:32 +0100, Mentally IN-sane wrote:
    >>

    >>><Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >>>to and then to PC input via S-video or component inputs.
    >>>These devices are sold in UK by Maplins and Tandy, or

    >> Nice to see them back in Maplins, last time I needed 1 they just stopped
    >> selling them because of copy protection reasons :)
    >>

    >My understanding is they never actually stopped selling them,
    >just a subtle renaming exercise, the term "macrovision stripping"
    >etc is no longer used, they are termed "copy enhancers" or

    Ok thanks, will have another look.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 24, 2007
  6. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Apr 25, 2007
  7. <Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your replies
    > I decided to get one of these
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130083956900&rd=1&rd=1
    >
    > --
    > Martin
    > ©¿©¬

    That will do exactly as you require, and it appears to come supplied with
    all cables/inteconnects etc.
    Just a trivial point, the warning of copyright material and "fair use" -
    In the States it has been a legal test and is now established that an
    owner can make a copy for their own personal back-up under what
    is termed "fair use". This dosen't apply to the UK (where you are).
    Here in UK it is "strictly forbidden" - but who cares, as if some Hollywood
    conglomerate is going to come hunting you!
    We can now add "copy decoder" to the list of terms - "enhancer",
    "stabilizer" etc, that has become the euphemism for Macrovision stripper!
    Have fun.

    Mentally IN-sane, Apr 25, 2007
  8. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Beatus

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    record copy protected video

    Here is my experience:
    I have a TV-input card with composite video input. With WinDVR software that came with the card, I can record videos from tape to HD, it works. Howewer, if the tape is Microvision protected, it states the message that recording is prohibited.
    I use Cyberlink PowerProducer version "encore" to edit and burn videos to DVD. It has also a feature to record from TV card input to HD. With this feature I can also record Microvision protected tapes to HD. However, the SW has two deficiencies. For one, it does not record the audio track. I overcom this by simultaneously recording the sound track to another computer and then unify the two with the PowerProducer video editor facility. It works. The other deficiency is that it is apearently to slow, from time to time there is a picture stop for a fraction of a seconde. This appears also if the tape is not protected.
    Conclusion: The recognition of Microvision protection is a pure SW mather. I would like to find a SW that records correctly even protected tapes.
    Any suggestions?

    Beatus, Nov 19, 2008