    Have a look at it here:
    http://tinyurl.com/c2et8

    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Malcolm

    R.W. Behan Guest

    VERY clever, Malcolm. Thanks much.

    Dick Behan

    R.W. Behan, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Malcolm

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I
    > saw
    > a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a try.
    >
    > This one is made entirely of cardboard!
    >
    > Have a look at it here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
    >
    > Malcolm

    I used to make models from card, and to harden it I used Shellac, I bought
    some flakes and dissolved them in Methylated spirit, the great thing about
    Shellac is the next coat dissolves into the first one, and it makes the card
    almost as hard as wood.

    Your copier is a great idea I have to use a crap scanner to copy 6 x 6 negs,
    I shall make one like yours.

    Thank you.

    Jem

    ------------------------
    My Collectable Cyanotypes & Etchings;
    http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/j/jimread

    Jem Raid, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Malcolm

    Larry Guest

    Great results Malcolm,

    A general question about focusing. The subject is actually the flat physical
    plane of the film/slide. I would assume the barrel length has to be greater
    than the minimum camera focus distance?

    Larry

    Larry, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Malcolm

    Colin D Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I saw
    > a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a try.
    >
    > This one is made entirely of cardboard!
    >
    > Have a look at it here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
    >
    > Malcolm

    About your remark on copying negatives with the orange mask. If you use
    auto white balance the camera will attempt to balance the negative,
    ruining the colors. Use manual white balance set for the illumination
    you are using, e.g. daylight, and the resulting image should retain the
    orange look of the negative. Then, in Photoshop or PSP, invert the
    negative to a positive, it will look pale and cyan, then using levels,
    hit Auto Level and the image should then look pretty good.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    > A general question about focusing. The subject is actually the flat
    physical
    > plane of the film/slide. I would assume the barrel length has to be

    greater
    > than the minimum camera focus distance?
    >
    > Larry

    I kept shortening the cardboard barrel by about 1mm at a time. I would then
    check the focus. I kept doing this until the focus was at its limit. Olympus
    quotes a minimum distance of 3cm. I don't know where this is measured from.
    I shortened the cardboard barrel until the slide was about 2.5 cm from the
    end of the camera lens barrel.

    The cardboard barrel doesn't fit exactly the same each time. So two things
    need to happen: a) centre the slide (by taking off the paper clips and
    moving the slide holder) and b) focus by using focus bracketing. The EVF
    just isn't clear enough to get accurate focusing.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > Malcolm wrote:
    > >
    > > There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I

    saw
    > > a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a

    try.

    > > This one is made entirely of cardboard!
    > >
    > > Have a look at it here:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
    > >
    > > Malcolm

    > About your remark on copying negatives with the orange mask. If you use
    > auto white balance the camera will attempt to balance the negative,
    > ruining the colors. Use manual white balance set for the illumination
    > you are using, e.g. daylight, and the resulting image should retain the
    > orange look of the negative. Then, in Photoshop or PSP, invert the
    > negative to a positive, it will look pale and cyan, then using levels,
    > hit Auto Level and the image should then look pretty good.
    >
    > Colin D.

    I do use manual white balance. I set this before attaching the slide
    duplicator to the camera.

    I find that using Auto Levels to adjust colours doesn't always work well.
    Some photos come out OK, others don't. When I manually adjust the colours,
    the amount of the adjustment varies from one photo to the next. I can't just
    find an optimum adjustment and apply to it all photos.

    Slides come out well without applying any colour adjustment at all. Things
    like sunsets need to be underexposed when the slide is photographed.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Oct 24, 2005