    As I am contemplating the purchase of a digicam, all comments would be
    gratefully received.

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 25, 2003

  2. > I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
    > number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
    > virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

    OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?

    That's what it's there for.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >>I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
    >>number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
    >>virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

    > OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?
    >
    > That's what it's there for.

    The viewfinder on most P&S type cameras sucks. On my Coolpix 990 it was
    barely usable, I could never see anything in focus. It was usable in
    situations where the viewfinder could not be seen, but only because I
    had no choice.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 25, 2003
  4. "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
    > number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
    > virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.
    >
    > When it came to close-ups I just had to guess as only the LCD works
    > for that mode.
    >
    > How do you guys cope? Any tips? Any comments on cameras with shields?
    >
    > As I am contemplating the purchase of a digicam, all comments would be
    > gratefully received.

    My Pentax Optio S has a bright enough LCD that I can see it
    reasonably well just by cupping my hand over it. If you think
    you will probably prefer to use the LCD instead of the
    viewfinder, you should check out any camera you're interested
    in on a sunny day at a store where you can carry it outside
    and check its bright-light performance. (As you've noticed in
    this thread, some people prefer the viewfinder to the LCD.)

    -- William M. Miller

    William M. Miller, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Phil

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Phil wrote:

    > I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
    > number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
    > virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

    Some cameras have flip-out screens that you can point in various
    directions. That is just dead snazzy for macros and whatnot. It's also
    nice for pointing the screen down a bit so it doesn't get hit by the sun.
    Otherwise you just have to cup your hand around it. Some cameras can adjust
    the brightness of the screen, which can help, but a brighter screen uses up
    the batteries faster.

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Phil, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 06:58:03 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?
    >
    >That's what it's there for.

    LOL, yes, I know. And, as I have poor eyesight I would normally use
    the viewfinder. But for close-ups it's useless due to paralax error.

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:36:59 GMT, "Patrick L."
    <> wrote:

    >Since I prefer using the optical viewfinder, anyway, this is a moot issue
    >with me.

    Patrick, how do you read the menu on the LCD screen?

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 26, 2003
  9. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:20:07 -0400, "William M. Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >My Pentax Optio S has a bright enough LCD that I can see it
    >reasonably well just by cupping my hand over it.
    >[clipped]

    Thanks, Wm.

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 26, 2003
  10. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:02:12 -0400, Mike Graham
    <> wrote:

    > Some cameras have flip-out screens that you can point in various
    >directions.
    >[clipped]

    Thanks, Mike. I must look out for those.

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 26, 2003
  11. Phil

    John Russell Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:21:19 +0100, Phil <>
    wrote:
    >I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
    >number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
    >virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.
    >
    >When it came to close-ups I just had to guess as only the LCD works
    >for that mode.
    >
    >How do you guys cope? Any tips? Any comments on cameras with shields?

    If the camera has the option, set it to display the picture just taken
    for 4 seconds or so, showing the histogram view. The big worry in
    bright sunlight is washed-out photos, and you'll be able to see
    whether or not the shot came out too bright. (The histogram is easier
    to see in the LCD than the details of the shot.)

    BTW, I found the Canon G3 to be especially good for shooting in bright
    light. (Built-in neutral-density filter, easy access to exposure
    variation, LCD viewable even in bright sun.)

    John
    --
    Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/

    John Russell, Aug 26, 2003
  12. Phil

    JK Guest

    The viewfinder is great with an slr though.

    JK, Aug 26, 2003
  13. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:37:13 -0400, JK <> wrote:

    >The viewfinder is great with an slr though.

    Oh yes! But digital SLRs cost an arm and a leg!

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 27, 2003
  14. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 06:58:03 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?
    >
    >That's what it's there for.

    The viewfinder on Canon's G3 is so badly positioned that the lens
    barrel blocks out about 1/5 of the viewing area. I thought it was
    kind of funny, actually.

    Paul Fedorenko, Aug 27, 2003
  15. Phil

    Guest

    In message <>,
    JK <> wrote:

    >The viewfinder is great with an slr though.

    With fast lenses. With slow lenses, your eyes adapt to the ambient
    light, and the viewfinder is a dark cave.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Aug 29, 2003