    I'm using DVD shrink to copy them on an XP machine.

    Any idea what that's about?

    Thanks.
    AnLaoch, Apr 6, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    AnLaoch <> wrote:

    > I've copied some DVD's which are region 1 and made them region free.
    > The trouble is that they'll play on some players, but not on others.
    > I'm using DVD shrink to copy them on an XP machine.
    >
    > Any idea what that's about?

    It's almost certainly the media you're using. Generally, DVD-R discs
    will be more compatible with video players than DVD+R. If your writer
    does both, opt for DVD-R for maximum compatibility. Also, rewriteables
    (RW) will be more problematic than the regular one-shot discs in terms
    of compatibility.

    Finally, what specific brand of media are you using? The media
    manufacturer will have a *big* impact on playability. Maxell CD and
    DVD media is absolutely horrid. Memorex, slightly less so. (Actually,
    their CDs aren't too bad, but the DVDs are awful.) Generally, the
    blank DVDs you'll find on the shelf at a typical retailer (say,
    Wal-Mart) aren't worth even bothering with.

    A while back, I bought a pack of 8X TDK DVD-R at CompUSA that worked
    great -- in my computers. But in any of the three DVD players I
    regularly use, the discs would either not play at all, or skip and
    stutter constantly. (Is that the symtom you're seeing?)

    Switching to Taiyo-Yuden DVD-R blanks solved the player
    incompatibilities for me *completely*. All three players see them
    perfectly.

    Try each of these stores, and see who has the best deal for the
    particular speed you want:

    <http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-media.html>

    <http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Cate
    gory_Code=DMRTY>

    <http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-media.html>
    Barry McCockiner, Apr 6, 2006

  3. AnLaoch

    John Howells Guest

    "AnLaoch" <> wrote

    > I've copied some DVD's which are region 1 and made them region free.
    > The trouble is that they'll play on some players, but not on others.
    > I'm using DVD shrink to copy them on an XP machine.
    >
    > Any idea what that's about?

    Not all players, particularly older ones, will play all types of media.
    Check out compatibility at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

    John Howells
    John Howells, Apr 6, 2006
  4. AnLaoch

    Stan Brown Guest

    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I don't remember
    seeing it. Did the OP finalize the discs after burning them?

    As an experiment, I had my DVD recorder (Pioneer 633) write a DVD-RW
    but not finalize it. I was surprised to see that my computer wouldn't
    read it. If the recorder finalized it then the computer would play it
    just fine.

    Does the OP need to adjust settings on the program that's doing the
    burn?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Apr 7, 2006
  5. AnLaoch

    AnLaoch Guest

    Thanks for the advice. The DVD's I'm using are the sort you get off
    the shelf (50 for €25.00 or something like that). So I guess that's
    part of it. They are -R, but as my family are too careful with their
    manuals, and I'm not living too close by, I can't tell whether -R suits
    their machines. But at least I've something to go by now.

    Thanks.
    AnLaoch, Apr 12, 2006
  6. AnLaoch

    AnLaoch Guest

    Sorry for the delay in getting back.

    The discs were burned from a Windows XP machine with a Philips burner.
    All discs were finalised and will play fine on any pc, and on some
    players. Not too sure what OP stands for though :-(

    Thanks.
    AnLaoch, Apr 12, 2006
  7. AnLaoch

    Bob Guest

    On 12 Apr 2006 06:39:30 -0700, "AnLaoch" <>
    wrote:

    >Not too sure what OP stands for though :-(

    Original Poster.

    --

    "A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
    It keeps him upright."
    Bob, Apr 12, 2006
  8. AnLaoch

    Tim V. Guest

    "AnLaoch" <> wrote in news:1144849170.156826.109650
    @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Sorry for the delay in getting back.
    >
    > The discs were burned from a Windows XP machine with a Philips burner.
    > All discs were finalised and will play fine on any pc, and on some
    > players. Not too sure what OP stands for though :-(
    >
    > Thanks.

    I always burn video at 2x or 2.4x for maximum compatibility. Regardless
    of how fast the media or drive will let me burn. I'll burn at higher
    rates for data.

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
    liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington
    Tim V., Apr 13, 2006