    I'm just curious as to other's experience with
    this kind of thing.
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 13, 2005

  2. RichA

    Jordan Guest

    I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends house
    (copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The quality
    seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.

    I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own though
    and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jan 13, 2005

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On 13 Jan 2005 12:42:59 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends house
    >(copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The quality
    >seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.
    >
    >I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own though
    >and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    >burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >
    >- Jordan

    NERO gives information on DVDs if you put one in your drive.
    Generally, they run between 3.2 and 7 gig in size each. With
    "The Stepfather" based on it's length, it was apparently
    shrunk from about 6 gig to 3 gig by the software. I just have to
    figure out if the compression motion issues were in the original file
    or they orginated in the DVD I made owing to compression.
    I can playback the original file using something like Divx and
    send the signal to my TV (ATI vid card has TV outs).
    The dual layer DVD blanks are still expensive, but it's better than
    not having anything. The file copied from the Brit DVD is
    unfortunately P&S, I suspect the DVD was too.
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 13, 2005
  4. RichA wrote:
    > I downloaded "The Stepfather" from a torrents
    > site, basically because you can't get the DVD
    > in North America (the Brit one is PAL). And
    > I converted it to a DVD and burned it.
    > Problem is, it seems to have cut down on the
    > number of frames. There a jerkiness to it's
    > playback (On a Sony stand alone player).
    > The .avi file (divx encoded) was around 700meg
    > while the DVD ended up being about 3.2 Gig.
    > I figure this represented about half the
    > bandwidth that a true DVD would be.

    You can't simply go back and forth from Divx to MPEG2 (DVD) and expect
    to get back any quality. Both are lossy codecs and so even though
    numerically the bitrate may be half the original, the quality will be
    far worse.

    > I'm just curious as to other's experience with
    > this kind of thing.
    > -Rich

    If I really wanted to see the movie, I would buy the UK version and play
    it on a region free player that can convert PAL to NTSC. If I didn't
    have such a player, I would copy the DVD, make it region free and NTSC,
    and never even think about compressing it with Divx, Xvid, etc.
    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 13, 2005
  5. RichA

    Robin Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a

    friends house
    > (copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed.

    The quality
    > seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression

    errors.

    > I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my

    own though
    > and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a

    dual layer
    > burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >
    > - Jordan

    I have transferred my personal DVD collection to the hard
    drive of my media center PC, because that allows me to
    access my entire media collection on any TV and stereo in my
    home.

    I have found that if I create a DIVX that is 95% quality of
    the DVD, the picture quality is indistinguishable on my Sony
    LCD projection that is connected to my PC via component
    cables. The file size is usually about 3.5 gig. On my
    standard CRT TV's, a DIVX that is about 60% is more than
    passable.

    Look for AutoGK. It is very user friendly, and allows you
    to customize your DIVX easily.
    Robin, Jan 13, 2005
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:50:39 GMT, "Robin" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >> I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a

    >friends house
    >> (copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed.

    >The quality
    >> seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression

    >errors.
    >>
    >> I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my

    >own though
    >> and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a

    >dual layer
    >> burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >>
    >> - Jordan
    >>

    >I have transferred my personal DVD collection to the hard
    >drive of my media center PC, because that allows me to
    >access my entire media collection on any TV and stereo in my
    >home.
    >
    >I have found that if I create a DIVX that is 95% quality of
    >the DVD, the picture quality is indistinguishable on my Sony
    >LCD projection that is connected to my PC via component
    >cables. The file size is usually about 3.5 gig. On my
    >standard CRT TV's, a DIVX that is about 60% is more than
    >passable.
    >
    >Look for AutoGK. It is very user friendly, and allows you
    >to customize your DIVX easily.

    Thanks very much. Picture quality is generally ok until
    the compression gets serious. What I also find is that
    the motions on the DVD (people walking, whatever) become
    jerky and the colour (like a video CD) gets compressed
    in tonality.
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Robin wrote:
    > "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a

    > friends house
    >
    >>(copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed.

    > The quality
    >
    >>seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression

    > errors.
    >
    >>I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my

    > own though
    >
    >>and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a

    > dual layer
    >
    >>burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >>
    >>- Jordan
    >>

    > I have transferred my personal DVD collection to the hard
    > drive of my media center PC, because that allows me to
    > access my entire media collection on any TV and stereo in my
    > home.
    >
    > I have found that if I create a DIVX that is 95% quality of
    > the DVD, the picture quality is indistinguishable on my Sony
    > LCD projection that is connected to my PC via component
    > cables. The file size is usually about 3.5 gig. On my
    > standard CRT TV's, a DIVX that is about 60% is more than
    > passable.
    >
    > Look for AutoGK. It is very user friendly, and allows you
    > to customize your DIVX easily.

    I generally encode at 1200Mbps for video using Xvid and allow the AC3
    audio to be passed through. This leads to roughly 250MB for a 22min TV
    show and it looks great on a TV connected to an XBox. I use DVD::RIP
    under Linux (an excellent frontend for transcode), and the only hard
    part is compiling transcode the first time.
    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Jordan wrote:
    > I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends house
    > (copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The quality
    > seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.
    >
    > I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own though
    > and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    > burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >
    > - Jordan

    using nero and dvd shrink you shoudnt notice any diff in quality.
    and if yer downloading a real dvd, the file you download will be about
    4gb in size
    Comfortably Numb, Jan 14, 2005
  9. On 13 Jan 2005 12:42:59 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends house
    >(copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The quality
    >seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.
    >
    >I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own though
    >and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    >burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >
    >- Jordan

    I have a duel layer burner, but I haven't used it in that mode yet,
    primarily because of the cost of the media. Future shop has them at
    $39.95 for three blanks; you might as well buy the DVD.
    E. Barry Bruyea, Jan 14, 2005
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:44:53 GMT, Comfortably Numb <>
    wrote:

    >Jordan wrote:
    >> I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends house
    >> (copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The quality
    >> seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.
    >>
    >> I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own though
    >> and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    >> burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >>
    >> - Jordan
    >>

    >using nero and dvd shrink you shoudnt notice any diff in quality.
    >and if yer downloading a real dvd, the file you download will be about
    >4gb in size

    I've seen some that size. Most of them seem to be crushed down
    to around 700mb in order to fit a CD-R.
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 14, 2005
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:32:53 -0500, E. Barry Bruyea <it'>
    wrote:

    >On 13 Jan 2005 12:42:59 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends house
    >>(copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The quality
    >>seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.
    >>
    >>I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own though
    >>and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    >>burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    >>
    >>- Jordan

    >I have a duel layer burner, but I haven't used it in that mode yet,
    >primarily because of the cost of the media. Future shop has them at
    >$39.95 for three blanks; you might as well buy the DVD.

    So do I and the price for dual layer media is insane. They should
    be no more than $2.00. Maybe the companies making it are trying
    to amortize their development costs, maybe it's because competition
    is slim and so are the number of people opting for dual layer burners?
    One off topic question; Is PCI-Express replacing AGP or just PCI?
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 14, 2005
  12. RichA

    Ed Kim Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:44:53 GMT, Comfortably Numb

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Jordan wrote:
    > >> I haven't done any myself yet, but I have seen them at a friends

    house
    > >> (copied from rental discs) and I haven't been impressed. The

    quality
    > >> seems grainy to me and there are almost always compression errors.
    > >>
    > >> I do intend on transferring some laser discs to DVD on my own

    though
    > >> and I hope they turn out better... but then I did buy a dual layer
    > >> burner so hopefully I can keep the standard high.
    > >>
    > >> - Jordan
    > >>

    > >using nero and dvd shrink you shoudnt notice any diff in quality.
    > >and if yer downloading a real dvd, the file you download will be

    about
    > >4gb in size

    > I've seen some that size. Most of them seem to be crushed down
    > to around 700mb in order to fit a CD-R.
    > -Rich

    sounds like vcd (or s-vcd). if it looks terrible, it's prolly vcd; if
    it looks better than that, could be divx. at ~700M, i think not dvd.
    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jan 14, 2005
  13. RichA

    Jordan Guest

    This is true, but my purpose is creating DVDs for my laserdisc movies
    that don't exist on DVD (i.e. the original, unchanged, Star Wars set.)
    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jan 15, 2005
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On 14 Jan 2005 17:01:56 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >This is true, but my purpose is creating DVDs for my laserdisc movies
    >that don't exist on DVD (i.e. the original, unchanged, Star Wars set.)
    >- Jordan

    I want to do the same with VHS. There are over 150,000 movies on VHS,
    many of which won't end up on DVD. Time's running out. Of course,
    there are also many movies that never ended up on any format.
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 15, 2005