    improvement would be to 5000 dpi which would be nice, although probably
    unnecessary with my hand held 200 - 400 ISO shots.
    , Apr 6, 2006

  2. m Ransley Guest

    I can`t think they would stop making scanners, Im sure it is a fast
    growing market. Everyone with film who is going digital as I have now
    needs to store old film. They should just get better and cheaper every
    year as all electronics do.
    m Ransley, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Bill Tuthill Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm about to buy a Coolscan 5000, I've been holding off for 5 years (!)
    > I didn't want to have to scan my films more than once (about 4000
    > photos). So I figured I'd wait until I could afford the best scanner.

    This is one of the faster scanners.

    > The 5000 has came down in price in the UK to about £700 so I can about
    > afford one.

    Yes, I see it's < $1000 in the US now.

    > Is their any speculation as to whether this will the the last Nikon
    > scanner, or whether there will be a new model? I am presuming that any
    > improvement would be to 5000 dpi which would be nice, although probably
    > unnecessary with my hand held 200 - 400 ISO shots.

    With no competition, Minolta having given up on the photography business
    and Canon not having released a film scanner in years since the FS-4000,
    I don't see why Nikon would introduce a new line of scanners.

    The Minolta 5400 didn't have any significant resolution advantage
    over the 4000 dpi Nikons, so I don't believe 5000 dpi is necessary.

    However a flatbed scanner could, at some point, offer comparable quality
    with more flexibility for medium format etc. Currently flatbed scanners
    are a bit behind, plus the don't have slide loading and neg feeding
    attachments.
    Bill Tuthill, Apr 6, 2006