    Minolta enlargement would be ~ 18" by 27". Did I do the math right? The
    advantage in Minolta's resolution would come when cropping a small part of a
    scan and then enlarging it. All that said, which scanner would you buy?

    Melvyn Kopstein, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Melvyn Kopstein

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Melvyn Kopstein"

    >All that said, which scanner would you buy?

    I've been using Nikon scanners for the past 5 years, first the LS-2000 and now
    the LS-8000 (35 mm and medium format), and never had a problem. However, the
    new Minolta seems to be the best 35 mm scanner on the market right now (I
    expect Nikon will respond eventually) and if I were in the market for a 35 mm
    scanner today that's what I'd buy.

    This site convinced me, a direct comparison of scans from different models ...

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/scan/se5400/se5400.htm

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 23, 2003

  3. "Melvyn Kopstein" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > I only want to buy a scanner this once, and then digitize
    > thousands of older negatives and slides.

    You might want to reconsider that, unless ALL negatives and slides are
    extremely unreplacable and are deteriorating while stored. If the slides are
    mounted, the Nikon may have an accessory that can help in automating the
    procedure. For the rest, scanning takes time, if you want to do it good it
    takes more time. You'll also need to get skilled, which takes a bit of
    practice.

    > Most will be nowhere near 4000 DPI
    > and scanning time and ease-of-use are important considerations.

    There is also considerable handling involved, loading and unloading holders
    and re-archiving the original film. You'll need to think up a CD storage
    systematic that will allow you to find the scans back. If the actual scan
    takes a bit longer, you'll have time for that, otherwise you'll be too busy
    feeding the monster...

    SNIP
    > All that said, which scanner would you buy?

    Both are good scanners, but if if you want to crop a lot then there is no
    substitute for resolution.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Melvyn Kopstein

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    My first scanner was Minolta Scan Speed.
    Excellent scanner, SCSI so it was fast. Resolution 2700.
    I had problems with the SCSI when I upgraded my computer 3 years ago, sold it
    and bought a Nikon IV USB mainly for ease of installation. I disliked it from
    the first slide I scanned.
    Last month I bought the Minolta 5400. It is excellent. Scanning at max (5400) I
    get an image of about 115 MB.

    At 2700, the files are between 25 nd 30 MB. The color and brigthness is
    excellent straigh out of the box.
    Print size at this resolution would be 12x8 at 300 ppi.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 23, 2003