    both sides...

    anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
    card in to avoid busting the camera?

    Dominic, Feb 9, 2005

  2. You can it part of the way in backwards or upside down. Don't force it and
    it will only go in correctly. If you force it hard you will bend the
    terminals in the camera and you have an expensive repair job.

    Bullwinkle. J. Moose, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Dominic

    Frank ess Guest

    Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
    > You can it part of the way in backwards or upside down. Don't force
    > it and it will only go in correctly. If you force it hard you will
    > bend the terminals in the camera and you have an expensive repair job.
    >
    > "Dominic" <> wrote in message
    >> this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
    >> coolpix995 the wrong way around:(
    >>
    >> ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
    >> has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
    >> wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
    >> in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
    >>
    >> the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
    >> the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
    >> both sides...
    >>
    >> anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
    >> card in to avoid busting the camera?

    All my cards have the Manufacturer's Face on one side and his minor info
    on the other; in the 995 the Face goes to the front. That is, when you
    are behind the camera with the card in your hand, ready to insert it,
    you should not be able to see the face. The identifying ridge will be
    vertical, and under your thumb.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Dominic

    Scott W Guest

    I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
    to push pretty hard to do so.

    Scott

    Scott W, Feb 9, 2005
  5. I haven't either. It's pretty straight forward.

    Bullwinkle. J. Moose, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Dominic

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 8 Feb 2005 17:02:26 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    (Dominic) wrote:

    >this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
    >coolpix995 the wrong way around:(
    >
    >ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
    >has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
    >wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
    >in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
    >
    >the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
    >the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
    >both sides...
    >
    >anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
    >card in to avoid busting the camera?

    Just looked at my 990 and the "front" of the card faces to the rear,
    not the front. You can easily just drop the card into the slot either
    way. But done correctly it takes only a small force to get the pins to
    engage. If the other way it would take an extreme amount of force. The
    difference is easily distinguished to stop you from forcing it the
    wrong way. Quickly checking the 990 and 995 manuals shows them to be
    opposite in regards to the card orientation.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Feb 9, 2005
  7. Dominic

    anon Guest

    "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <> wrote in message
    > You can it part of the way in backwards or upside down. Don't force it and
    > it will only go in correctly. If you force it hard you will bend the
    > terminals in the camera and you have an expensive repair job.

    If you put the card in back to front, it will go in far enough that the card
    touches the pins, about three quarters in (but the holes don't quite line
    up, so the card won't go in fully).

    As you probably know, it takes a certain amount of pressure to insert a CF
    card correctly (there are about 50 pins, after all). If you apply this
    pressure to an incorrectly inserted card, all the pressure is on the pins
    and therefore the joints and the board itself. This could very easily damage
    the camera.

    CF cards have a built in, foolproof mechanism which makes it impossible to
    insert a card incorrectly. Why the hell have Nikon deliberately circumvented
    this so that it is possible to insert it backwards?

    The only way to avoid potentially damaging the camera is to follow the
    instructions to the letter. Make sure you have the "label" facing the front
    of the camera.

    My CF card has a label on it - it says index, and it has a space for you to
    write something to identify (ie label) the card. It also has something on
    the other side, with the manufacturers logo and the size of the card - maybe
    that is a label too?

    Someone said this was "straightforward"!

    anon, Feb 10, 2005
  8. Dominic

    anon Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On 8 Feb 2005 17:02:26 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    > (Dominic) wrote:
    >
    > >this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
    > >coolpix995 the wrong way around:(
    > >
    > >ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
    > >has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
    > >wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
    > >in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
    > >
    > >the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
    > >the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
    > >both sides...
    > >
    > >anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
    > >card in to avoid busting the camera?

    > Just looked at my 990 and the "front" of the card faces to the rear,
    > not the front. You can easily just drop the card into the slot either
    > way. But done correctly it takes only a small force to get the pins to
    > engage. If the other way it would take an extreme amount of force. The
    > difference is easily distinguished to stop you from forcing it the
    > wrong way. Quickly checking the 990 and 995 manuals shows them to be
    > opposite in regards to the card orientation.

    Does the 990 manual talk about the "front" of the card, the 995 only talks
    about the side with the "label" which seems pretty ambiguous to me.

    I agree it would take excessive force to push the card in, probably it isn't
    even possible (the pins would probably bend first). But how much force might
    it take to damage the camera (eg breaking a PCB track or solder joint),
    short of actually bending a pin? Considerably less I would guess, and maybe
    the sort of force you might apply if you thought the card was correct but
    just a bit stiff.

    All this would be irrelevant if they had just designed the CF slot properly.

    anon, Feb 10, 2005
  9. Dominic

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Scott W <> wrote:
    >I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
    >to push pretty hard to do so.

    >Scott

    There is only a little plastic tab that keeps the card from
    going in backwards.

    While I have never had a problem in a camera, I recently managed
    (with no pressure at all) to break the tab off in the CF reader
    I've got on my computer. Now the CF card will go in either way.

    This seems to be a bad design flaw in the CF cards.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Feb 10, 2005
  10. Dominic

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:21:03 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "anon"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message

    >Does the 990 manual talk about the "front" of the card, the 995 only talks
    >about the side with the "label" which seems pretty ambiguous to me.

    It says label. Also tells you follow the orientation as shown on the inside
    of the cover. Sorry, but with this and the illustration in the manual it
    seemed obvious to me, almost four years ago. In fact the Fast Track Guide
    just shows the same illustration and says insert the cards as shown in the
    illustration.... Inserting cards upside down or backwards could damage the
    camera or the card.

    >I agree it would take excessive force to push the card in, probably it isn't
    >even possible (the pins would probably bend first). But how much force might
    >it take to damage the camera (eg breaking a PCB track or solder joint),
    >short of actually bending a pin? Considerably less I would guess, and maybe
    >the sort of force you might apply if you thought the card was correct but
    >just a bit stiff.
    >
    >All this would be irrelevant if they had just designed the CF slot properly.

    Sound like you broke something by inserting the card incorrectly. Sorry to
    hear this. But in my experience there is no way I'd try forcing a card that
    hard. And I put the card in my D70 backwards initially maybe half the time
    as it's the opposite direction of that for my 990 and 5700.

    I do't know what else you are looking for.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Feb 10, 2005
  11. Dominic

    anon Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > Sound like you broke something by inserting the card incorrectly. Sorry to
    > hear this. But in my experience there is no way I'd try forcing a card

    that
    > hard. And I put the card in my D70 backwards initially maybe half the time
    > as it's the opposite direction of that for my 990 and 5700.

    I didn't force the card - as I said, I just applied the amount of pressure
    which would have been necessary to insert a correctly oriented card (I'm not
    a robot, maybe I applied slightly more than that). Maybe there was a latent
    fault in my camera, I hadn't swapped cards too often before it broke.

    It might interest you to know that the Compact Flash spec is pretty
    unequivocal - the plastic tabs which prevent you from inserting the card
    back to front are a specified requirement. It shouldn't be possible to put
    the cards in backwards.

    anon, Feb 11, 2005
  12. Dominic

    anon Guest

    "Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message
    > Scott W <> wrote:
    > >I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
    > >to push pretty hard to do so.

    > >Scott

    > There is only a little plastic tab that keeps the card from
    > going in backwards.
    >
    > While I have never had a problem in a camera, I recently managed
    > (with no pressure at all) to break the tab off in the CF reader
    > I've got on my computer. Now the CF card will go in either way.
    >
    > This seems to be a bad design flaw in the CF cards.

    But it appears that some Nikon cameras don't even bother to have the tab in
    the first place :(

    anon, Feb 11, 2005
  13. Dominic

    Paul J Gans Guest

    anon <> wrote:
    >"Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message
    >> Scott W <> wrote:
    >> >I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
    >> >to push pretty hard to do so.

    >> >Scott

    >> There is only a little plastic tab that keeps the card from
    >> going in backwards.
    >>
    >> While I have never had a problem in a camera, I recently managed
    >> (with no pressure at all) to break the tab off in the CF reader
    >> I've got on my computer. Now the CF card will go in either way.
    >>
    >> This seems to be a bad design flaw in the CF cards.

    >But it appears that some Nikon cameras don't even bother to have the tab in
    >the first place :(

    Yeah.

    Bad design. It shouldn't go in at *all* the wrong way.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Dominic

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:38:44 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "anon"
    <> wrote:

    >I didn't force the card - as I said, I just applied the amount of pressure
    >which would have been necessary to insert a correctly oriented card (I'm not
    >a robot, maybe I applied slightly more than that). Maybe there was a latent
    >fault in my camera, I hadn't swapped cards too often before it broke.

    I can't speak to your situation. All I know is I've taken near 12000 photos
    with my old 990, still using at work and swap the card to a card reader
    every time, so easily have inserted the card many hundreds of times without
    a problem. As the 995 is different maybe it is less robust.

    >It might interest you to know that the Compact Flash spec is pretty
    >unequivocal - the plastic tabs which prevent you from inserting the card
    >back to front are a specified requirement. It shouldn't be possible to put
    >the cards in backwards.

    I still don't get what you're trying to get here other than venting. Which
    is fine.. It's an old, no longer made camera. The slot design used has
    changed with time. All three of my cameras use a different design. The
    Cp9xxs have been around quite a while and the only real issues I've seen
    spoken about in any quantity are the battery door, CF card door and the
    mode selector switch.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Feb 11, 2005
  15. Dominic

    Scott W Guest

    I just have never had a problem with this, clearly at least some others
    have. I have tried to put the card in every wrong way there is at one
    time or another and I can always tell it is wrong by the feel of it.

    >From what people have said it does sound like a design problem but this

    is a old camera and pretty much past history.

    Scott W, Feb 11, 2005
  16. On 11 Feb 2005 05:42:36 -0800, "Scott W" <> wrote:

    >I just have never had a problem with this, clearly at least some others
    >have. I have tried to put the card in every wrong way there is at one
    >time or another and I can always tell it is wrong by the feel of it.
    >
    >>From what people have said it does sound like a design problem but this

    >is a old camera and pretty much past history.

    I agree with Scott, and Ed Ruf as well. I've owned for several years
    (and still use them almost daily) one CP-950 and two CP-995s, without
    having the least bit of a problem of this sort. Sure the card can
    slide easily in, facing the wrong way, but only for so far. Unless
    one is totally oblivious to the fact it has not seated, there should
    not be a cause for this problem. I cannot agree it's a design
    problem, more of a user problem.

    Flame away, if so desired.

    Olin McDaniel

    Olin K. McDaniel, Feb 12, 2005