    some good big sizes and how big can I go. Are there any down falls?
    Thanks

    Hank WD5JFR

    Henry Kolesnik, Aug 14, 2008

  2. Henry Kolesnik

    Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:32:12 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Henry
    Kolesnik" <> wrote:

    >I've upgraded from a 950 to a 990, big enough jump for me. I bought the
    >950 new in 2000 for around $900.00 and got this 990 used for $75.00.
    >Good deal but now I need to get a bigger CF card and wonder what are
    >some good big sizes and how big can I go. Are there any down falls?

    You can go as far as 2GB from my trials with a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III
    switched to 2GB mode. My Lexar and Sandisk 1GB cards work fine.There
    is an issue with write speeds in the camera as far the bigger cards go
    as you fill them up. I never have really used anything bigger than the
    Lexar 8x 128MB in my 990, which I still use at work. and I've always
    shot full/fine images with it. Never really found any advantage of if
    Hi TIFF over the full jpg output. The 990 is not going to be able to
    make use of today's high speed card, but if you use a fast USB or FW
    card reader at least copying them over to your computer will go
    faster.

    , Aug 14, 2008

  3. Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > I've upgraded from a 950 to a 990, big enough jump for me. I bought
    > the 950 new in 2000 for around $900.00 and got this 990 used for
    > $75.00. Good deal but now I need to get a bigger CF card and wonder
    > what are some good big sizes and how big can I go. Are there any
    > down falls? Thanks

    I found that, using Basic quality, the 990 can become slow when a 128MB
    card is nearly full. The directory writing becomes very slow. I note
    that slightly later Nikon cameras put no more than 100 or 200 files in a
    single directory, suggesting that this was at least in part to fix the
    problem.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 14, 2008