    it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.

    Thanks

    TMT

    Too_Many_Tools, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Too_Many_Tools wrote:
    > I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 that I would like to buy larger memory
    > modules for.
    >
    > Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?
    >
    > Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
    > it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > TMT

    The 990 /should/ support CF cards up to 2GB as it uses the FAT16 file
    system. However, if you start getting more than a few hundred pictures on
    a card it can start to slow down, as it puts all the images into one
    directory. The largest card I used was 128MB, and then I upgraded camera!

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2005

  3. In article <YEO_e.117699$>, David J
    Taylor
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    wrote:

    > > Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?
    > >
    > > Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
    > > it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.

    Actually, your manual has a list of "approved" cards. As the other
    poster said, it SHOULD use larger ones... But when I tried a 12X 256MB
    in my 995, I got a yellow icon on screen while writing picture files.
    Nikon said it meant the camera was taking an abnormal amount of time to
    write to the card, so I've stayed with Lexar 12X128's.

    Scott Schuckert, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Too_Many_Tools

    J.P.Scott Guest

    I started digital photography with the Nikon Coolpix 950 back in 2000
    and regularly use 256 cards in it still. I upgraded to the Nikon
    Coolpix 8700 but still use both cameras.

    * * * * *
    Photography Cafe
    http://www.photography-cafe.com

    J.P.Scott, Sep 29, 2005
  5. I use a 512mp card and it is plenty large for my 3 MP camera.
    See my Nikon page at:
    http://www.photoprojects.net/index6.html
    Gene

    Gene F. Rhodes, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Too_Many_Tools

    GTO Guest

    I use a 256 MB memory card for my old Nikon 990 without any problems.
    However, my 990 shows another problem. Whenever I take out the batteries, I
    have to reenter the date/time.

    Gregor

    GTO, Sep 30, 2005
  7. Too_Many_Tools

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Too_Many_Tools <> wrote:
    >I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 that I would like to buy larger memory
    >modules for.

    >Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?

    It will certainly support 256. Mine does. I've never
    tried a larger one in it.

    >Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
    >it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.

    You'd likely have to contact Nikon.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 30, 2005
  8. On a related subject, how many memory modules do you have for each
    camera?

    I would be interested in hearing the quanity versus size
    relationship....as in do you have fewer larger ones or more smaller
    ones?

    Any brands to stay away from?

    Thanks

    TMT

    Too_Many_Tools, Oct 3, 2005
  9. Too_Many_Tools wrote:
    > On a related subject, how many memory modules do you have for each
    > camera?
    >
    > I would be interested in hearing the quanity versus size
    > relationship....as in do you have fewer larger ones or more smaller
    > ones?
    >
    > Any brands to stay away from?

    Coolpix 990 - CF 6 x 128MB mixed - now for backup only
    Coolpix 5700 - CF 3 x 512MB Crucial - now sold on
    Coolpix 8400 - CF 3 x 2GB SanDisk
    Panasonic FZ5 - SD 2 x 1GB SanDisk and Kingmax (me)
    Panasonic FZ20 - SD 1 x 1GB, 2 x 512MB Kingmax (wife)

    I now stay away from the off-brand names.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Too_Many_Tools

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 28 Sep 2005 21:37:42 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Too_Many_Tools"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 that I would like to buy larger memory
    >modules for.
    >
    >Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?
    >
    >Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
    >it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.

    My CP-990 works fine with my Lexar 1GB 40xWA CF card. There will be
    the issue of writing slowing down as you save many files to one folder
    as David has all ready pointed out.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 3, 2005