Coolpix 8800 and Basketball

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BobS, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. BobS

    BobS Guest

    Hi Folks,

    This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
    Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
    in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
    my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
    wireless.

    I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
    its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.

    What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
    focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
    and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
    instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
    to accomplish this?

    I will take my chances with exposure and focus and at least have the
    players in frame. With Photoshop I can fix most things, but I can't
    put players into the scene. Basketballs and nets, yes, but players no.

    I am sure I am doing something wrong.

    What settings are you using?

    The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
    cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
    Thank you for the assistance.

    BobS

    BobS, Dec 9, 2004

  2. BobS

    Bobsprit Guest

    The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
    cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
    Thank you for the assistance.>>>

    I had an 8800 and returned it. For sports shooting you're better off with a
    DSLR and a wider faster lens. If there's enough light, the 8800 can manage at
    times but it is what it is. Slow.

    RB

    Bobsprit, Dec 9, 2004

  3. BobS

    Frank ess Guest

    Bobsprit wrote:
    > The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
    > cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
    > Thank you for the assistance.>>>
    >
    > I had an 8800 and returned it. For sports shooting you're better off
    > with a DSLR and a wider faster lens. If there's enough light, the
    > 8800 can manage at times but it is what it is. Slow.
    >
    > RB

    And if you like it enough to keep it anyway, there is a good forum with
    helpful folks at
    <>

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Dec 9, 2004
  4. BobS

    James Guest

    I dont think the sb 80dx is compatible with the 8800

    Only the sb 600 and sb 800

    James

    James, Dec 9, 2004
  5. BobS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:54:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:

    >Bobsprit wrote:

    >And if you like it enough to keep it anyway, there is a good forum with
    >helpful folks at
    > <>

    Just be aware of what intellectual property rights you give away using
    Yahoo Groups. Google groups has similar issues.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 9, 2004
  6. BobS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 9 Dec 2004 10:51:24 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "BobS"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
    >Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
    >in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
    >my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
    >wireless.
    >
    >I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
    >its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.

    First, don't do this. All it tends to do is run the battery down. You
    normally don't buy much if anything in focus times doing this.

    >What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
    >focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
    >and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
    >instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
    >to accomplish this?

    That is how the camera will work. A half press will lock focus and
    exposure. Fully pressing with take the shot. This should minimize lag.
    Assuming the flash is charged I would imagine this shouldn't slow things
    down

    >The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
    >cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.

    Have you considered pushing the ISO up, doing without the flash and post
    processing to remove noise?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 9, 2004
  7. BobS

    Guest

    Archived from "BobS" <> on 9 Dec 2004 10:51:24 -0800:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
    >Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
    >in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
    >my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
    >wireless.
    >
    >I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
    >its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.

    Set focus to single, not continuous.

    >What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
    >focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
    >and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
    >instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
    >to accomplish this?

    Yes. Set exposure and focus to lock upon 1/2 depression of the shutter
    release button. It is described in detail in the manual.

    >I will take my chances with exposure and focus and at least have the
    >players in frame. With Photoshop I can fix most things, but I can't
    >put players into the scene. Basketballs and nets, yes, but players no.
    >
    >I am sure I am doing something wrong.
    >
    >What settings are you using?
    >
    >The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
    >cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
    >Thank you for the assistance.
    >
    >BobS

    Please read your manual. The information you seek regarding focus and
    exposure is explained in detail in there. See pages 22, 98 for starters and
    additional references in the Index.

    How did you come to buy a DX80? The 80DX is a discontinued flash. I had a
    DX80 that I used with my D100, but gave it away when I gave away the camera.
    It cannot take advantage of the latest functions built into Nikon's newest
    cameras. The SB600 and the SB800 have most functions enabled when used on
    the 8800. Advanced Wireless Lighting is not available. I use one of my
    three SB800 units with my little 8800. Works great. It permits tack sharp
    focus in low light and in fact even in a pitch black room. The Nikon Coolpix
    8800 is a fine little camera in the Point & Shoot class. Cheers.

    vm

    , Dec 10, 2004
  8. BobS

    BobS Guest

    Thanks all, I did set down and RTFM but it wasn't clear to me until
    last night. I have this family problem of shaking and twiching, plus
    from years of computer keyboarding,my finger tips are near num. With
    that challenge I found it hard to push the release half way and not
    jitter to an unwanted shot. I have found if I hold the AF/AE-L with my
    thumb I can do pretty good and not have much of a delay

    Here are the results of my adventaure last night at a local basketball
    game.
    http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/mortongirlsdec9
    Still have a ways to go, but Photoshop does help. Comments Welcomed
    and needed!

    How/why did I buy the 80DX speedlight. Biggest reason is I don't read
    in detail now that I am retired. After looking on ebay and finding the
    80DX and winning the bid on a new one for $214 total I was delighted.
    Bought it before I bought the camera so the wife would be sure and let
    me have it. ;-) The GN of 125 also caught my attention as I want to
    get high school football images. BOTTOM LINE is I didn't read Steve's
    review close enough and I thought it was the newest of the new..
    Someday it will be a slave bouncing off of the ceiling at full power.
    Until then it will just keep blasting for all its worth out of control.

    Yes, we have changed the focus mode to single with as good of, if not
    better results.

    400 is the highest ISO avaialbe. The range on the Ev is +/- 2. This
    bumps the effective ISO up to ?? (ISO400 times sqrt of 2?)

    BobS, Dec 10, 2004
  9. BobS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 10 Dec 2004 13:01:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "BobS"
    <> wrote:

    >400 is the highest ISO avaialbe. The range on the Ev is +/- 2. This
    >bumps the effective ISO up to ?? (ISO400 times sqrt of 2?)

    Be careful. Depending on what settings you get nothing. For example if
    you set shutter priority to keep the shutter speed up to freeze motion
    and due to low light the lens is at its widest aperture then a +ev
    setting will do nothing.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 10, 2004
  10. BobS

    BobS Guest

    Well we have 1300 pictures behind us now and here are the latest. I
    think they have getting better?

    Here is the latest group from last night.
    http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/mgdec30

    Comments Please. Help this novice out so he can have more fun!
    Regards,
    BobSam

    BobS, Dec 31, 2004
  11. BobS

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On 31 Dec 2004 07:42:58 -0800, "BobS" <> wrote:

    >Well we have 1300 pictures behind us now and here are the latest. I
    >think they have getting better?
    >
    >Here is the latest group from last night.
    >http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/mgdec30
    >
    >Comments Please. Help this novice out so he can have more fun!

    I think I would recommend moving the exterior flash to an off camera
    flash bracket to improve the shadows and eliminate red eye. Perhaps
    you could redesign the handle in some way.

    I purchased the SC-28 cable that fits the CP5700 hotshot nicely and
    redrilled the bracket to accept the SC-28 shoe. Works great - Nicer
    lighting.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Dec 31, 2004
  12. BobS

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:28:33 GMT,
    (TheNewsGuy(Mike)) wrote:

    >I purchased the SC-28 cable that fits the CP5700 hotshot

    "hotshoe"

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Dec 31, 2004
  13. BobS

    BobS Guest

    Thanks Mike,

    How much of an offset between the lens center and flashhead center do
    you have? Righ now, using the Nikon SB80DX Speedlight on top the
    Coolpix 8800 gives me a six inch offset.

    Thanks
    BobSam

    BobS, Jan 1, 2005
  14. BobS

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On 1 Jan 2005 08:29:35 -0800, "BobS" <> wrote:

    >Thanks Mike,
    >
    >How much of an offset between the lens center and flashhead center do
    >you have? Righ now, using the Nikon SB80DX Speedlight on top the
    >Coolpix 8800 gives me a six inch offset.

    Two shots of the bracket I presently use:
    =================================
    http://tinyurl.com/62ssh

    http://tinyurl.com/3jqp8

    This bracket is from a video camera I used to have. It does not have
    enough of an "offset' for me. I will purchase a better bracket soon.
    But it is still produces a better lighting and shadows than the very
    flat on-camera lighting. I believe it is the lateral offset that has
    to be increased more - perhaps 10 inches or so.

    This one puts the middle of the flash a bit less than 6 inches
    laterally from the middle of the lens - and the hotshoe of the
    bracket is 3 inches above the camera's hotshoe. I would want a few
    more inches here too. I put the bracket on the left side of the
    camera for access to the battery and to allow me to hold it in my left
    hand and to adjust and shoot with my right.

    Hope that helps,

    Mike

    TheNewsGuy, Jan 2, 2005