    Microsoft MVP
    ActiveWin - Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com
    Designer Dream: http://www.designerdream.co.uk

    Byron Hinson, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Byron Hinson

    Lung Fish Guest

    "Byron Hinson" <> wrote in
    news:s5Vgc.242$:

    > I'm planning on going from my Coolpix 5000 to the Nikon D70. I was
    > wondering if this is quite a big step up in quality terms. I don't
    > pretend to be a wiz with the camera but I would like to start and I'm
    > getting the D70 to do a long Photography course.
    >
    > I am wondering what are the main kind of improvements I will notice -
    > will picture quality be much better? What about the lens that comes in
    > the bundle package?

    Yes, the output file will be much better with the D70. The D70 also has
    more features than you are likely to use until you get very proficient,
    but will give you much more room to grow. Remember that a 6MP dSLR is
    not the same as a 6MP point-and-shoot. The sensor is much larger and
    that has a pronounced effect on the final images.

    The 18-70DX lens sold with the D70 in the kit is fantastic. It is a very
    high quality zoom lens, though it cannot be used on 35mm Nikon bodies.

    Check out some of the more extensive reviews of the D70. Chances are
    that there are going to be quite a few features that you will want, even
    more so after you get into your course.
    http://bythom.com/D70REVIEW.HTM

    Lung Fish, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Byron Hinson

    Jan Wagner Guest

    "Byron Hinson" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I'm planning on going from my Coolpix 5000 to the Nikon D70. I was

    wondering
    > if this is quite a big step up in quality terms. I don't pretend to be a

    wiz
    > with the camera but I would like to start and I'm getting the D70 to do a
    > long Photography course.
    >
    > I am wondering what are the main kind of improvements I will notice -

    will
    > picture quality be much better? What about the lens that comes in the

    bundle
    > package?

    Low noise, pretty darn good quality pics for postprocessing,
    responsiveness, kit with a good lense deal...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

    But also, lack of video clips or sound clips, lack of live LCD preview
    (exposure, white balance, LCD tilting), and minimal inlcuded software. Plus
    expensive additional lenses + gear + carrying bag ;-)

    Jan Wagner, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Byron Hinson

    Sjo Guest

    "Byron Hinson" <> schreef in bericht
    > I'm planning on going from my Coolpix 5000 to the Nikon D70. I was

    wondering
    > if this is quite a big step up in quality terms. I don't pretend to be a

    wiz
    > with the camera but I would like to start and I'm getting the D70 to do a
    > long Photography course.
    >
    > I am wondering what are the main kind of improvements I will notice - will
    > picture quality be much better? What about the lens that comes in the

    bundle
    > package?
    >
    > Thanks

    Used a Coolpix 5000 myself for a year or so, and now a D70. The best
    improvement of all are the controls. You can control your camera more easy
    (less submenu's and two buttons at a time), The 5000 has great macro
    possibilities, but you can have them too on the D70 with the right lens (the
    kitlens is less usefull for macro shooting). THe D70 is just a lot more
    'camera' that the 5000.

    SJo

    --
    Sjoerd zijn website:

    www.sjoweb.nl

    Sjo, Apr 20, 2004

  5. >
    > But also, lack of video clips or sound clips, lack of live LCD preview
    > (exposure, white balance, LCD tilting), and minimal inlcuded software. Plus
    > expensive additional lenses + gear + carrying bag ;-)

    The lack of live LCD preview is the best thing that can happen to a
    digital camera :)
    try manual focus on an LCD where you have about 320x200 pixels instead
    of a real optical viewer...
    moreover it makes batterylife shorter...

    if you are considering a photography course they will teach you how to
    use the camera propperly, and you won't need an LCD preview any more...

    BTW exposure and white balance and stuff can be manipulated to some
    extend by the software provided if you are shooting in the raw format,
    which is more than good enough after your course ;-)

    No need to say that I love my D70, I guess :)

    kind regards,

    Yves

    Yves Deweerdt, Apr 20, 2004