    Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
    values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.
    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Melissa

    Frank ess Guest

    "Melissa" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9447B4D271C49TOKEN@206.124.0.13...
    > If you had the choice of a refurbed 4500 or 990 for under $400, which

    would

    &
    > values. -> Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
    > Libertarian, Objectivist, High-Maintenance, RKBA, guns & Shooting,

    polyamory.

    At that price I think I could find a third, better choice.
    Frank ess, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Frank ess" <> doth postedeth:

    > "Melissa" <> wrote in message
    >> If you had the choice of a refurbed 4500 or 990 for under $400, which

    > would
    >> you get?

    > At that price I think I could find a third, better choice.

    In Nikon?

    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Melissa

    Tom Pfeiffer Guest

    The G3, definitely.

    Tom P.

    Tom Pfeiffer, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Melissa

    Pike Guest

    The 4500 has 12% more pixels than the 990 (4divided by 3.34=1.12) is it
    really significant? I got a 990 at a lawn sale for 200 Cdn. and I love it,
    sharp lens, great colour, technical ability, makes great 8x10's. I see them
    refurbished on ebay for $200 US. so go for it and wait til you can afford a
    6 meg camera to see a real difference.

    Pike, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Melissa

    Q. Lu Guest

    why insist on Nikon?

    Q. Lu, Dec 5, 2003
  7. "Melissa" <> wrote in message
    > If you had the choice of a refurbed 4500 or 990 for under $400, which

    would
    > you get?

    If I had existing AA-sized batteries and some CF cards, I would get the
    990. But possibly not at that price.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Melissa

    H Guest

    Melissa wrote:
    > If you had the choice of a refurbed 4500 or 990 for under $400, which would
    > you get?

    4500 has longer reach 155mm vs. 115 on the 990.
    900 has a larger LCD screen 1,8 vs 1,5
    900 uses AA
    4500 Is more pocketable(fits a large pocket) vs the more bulky 990
    Phil at dpreview, says that the image of the 4500 is better than the 990
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4500/
    So all in all the 4500.

    Hope this helps
    H, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Q. Lu" <> doth postedeth:

    > why insist on Nikon?

    Looked at the sample photos and features of the 990 and it looks really
    nice. I'm not sure if the 4500 is as good but it appears to be.

    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Tom Pfeiffer" <> doth postedeth:

    > The G3, definitely.

    Sorry, I meant in the Nikon series.

    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Pike" <> doth postedeth:

    > The 4500 has 12% more pixels than the 990 (4divided by 3.34=1.12) is it
    > really significant? I got a 990 at a lawn sale for 200 Cdn. and I love
    > it, sharp lens, great colour, technical ability, makes great 8x10's. I
    > see them refurbished on ebay for $200 US. so go for it and wait til you
    > can afford a 6 meg camera to see a real difference.

    Sounds good, thanks!

    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003
  12. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> doth
    postedeth:

    > "Melissa" <> wrote in message
    >> If you had the choice of a refurbed 4500 or 990 for under $400, which

    > would
    >> you get?

    > If I had existing AA-sized batteries and some CF cards, I would get the
    > 990. But possibly not at that price.

    My mistake, checking Ebay it appears the used 990's go for around $200.

    Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are WAY
    too expensive.

    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003
  13. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    These guys are claiming to sell new 4500's for $350 and I had one
    bookmarked that sold within 1 day, of course. But is this for real?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2970503080
    They have a 98.6% feedback rating with over 1000 deals.

    Melissa, Dec 5, 2003
  14. Melissa

    Don Coon Guest

    Do an advanced search on Ebay (Nikon 4500) with the Completed Auctions box
    checked and you'll see that this is not that far out of line. Also set the
    minimum price to 200 to ignore a bunch of noise.

    Don Coon, Dec 5, 2003
  15. Melissa

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 5 Dec 2003 15:56:02 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Melissa
    <> wrote:

    >My mistake, checking Ebay it appears the used 990's go for around $200.
    >
    >Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are WAY
    >too expensive.

    Most definitely, yes.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Dec 5, 2003
  16. RE/
    >Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are WAY
    >too expensive.

    Not "can", "have to".... My 990 will drain a set of alkalines very quickly.

    You want two or three sets of NiMh's and a decent charger like one of Maha's.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 6, 2003
  17. > My mistake, checking Ebay it appears the used 990's go for around $200.

    > Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are

    WAY
    > too expensive.

    Oh, yes. Everyone uses AA-sized NiMH in the 990.

    The swivel design allows you to have a lot of flexibility in picture
    taking, allowing you to place the camera on a flat surface and point the
    lens at the subject. This way, exposures up to 1 second (of building
    interiors for example) come out pin-sharp. Another use we've found (my
    wife and I have 990s, I recently upgraded to a 5700) is at conferences -
    interiors again where the exposure might be 1/4 second. You can put the
    camera on your desk or table, and point it sideways to get candid photos
    of other delegates! Be sure the flash is disabled, of course.

    There are two things to look out for on the 990 - some people manage to
    break the battery door cover, and the rotary mode switch does need the
    occasional drop of switch cleaner.

    At $200 it's a wonderful bargain, which will provide you with high-quality
    pictures and lots of fun!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 6, 2003
  18. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> doth postedeth:

    > Do an advanced search on Ebay (Nikon 4500) with the Completed Auctions

    box
    > checked and you'll see that this is not that far out of line. Also set

    the
    > minimum price to 200 to ignore a bunch of noise.

    Keep in mind that most of those are used or refurbs. Add "new" to that
    search and see what I mean.

    Melissa, Dec 7, 2003
  19. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in message news:<KfiAb.478$>...
    > > My mistake, checking Ebay it appears the used 990's go for around $200.
    > >
    > > Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are

    > WAY
    > > too expensive.

    > Oh, yes. Everyone uses AA-sized NiMH in the 990.
    >
    > The swivel design allows you to have a lot of flexibility in picture
    > taking, allowing you to place the camera on a flat surface and point the
    > lens at the subject. This way, exposures up to 1 second (of building
    > interiors for example) come out pin-sharp. Another use we've found (my
    > wife and I have 990s, I recently upgraded to a 5700) is at conferences -
    > interiors again where the exposure might be 1/4 second. You can put the
    > camera on your desk or table, and point it sideways to get candid photos
    > of other delegates! Be sure the flash is disabled, of course.
    >
    > There are two things to look out for on the 990 - some people manage to
    > break the battery door cover, and the rotary mode switch does need the
    > occasional drop of switch cleaner.
    >
    > At $200 it's a wonderful bargain, which will provide you with high-quality
    > pictures and lots of fun!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Take care in Canada!!! my 990 is at nikon for repairs..... for 10 month now!!!
    Maurice Tremblay, Dec 7, 2003
  20. Melissa

    Don Coon Guest

    "Melissa" <> wrote in message
    > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> doth postedeth:
    >
    > > Do an advanced search on Ebay (Nikon 4500) with the Completed Auctions

    > box
    > > checked and you'll see that this is not that far out of line. Also set

    > the
    > > minimum price to 200 to ignore a bunch of noise.

    > Keep in mind that most of those are used or refurbs. Add "new" to that
    > search and see what I mean.

    Nothing wrong with factory refurbished cameras based on my experience.
    Don Coon, Dec 7, 2003