    There's a huge range of prices. Are the $50 plus filters worth the extra
    money?

    Cliff

    Cliff, Jul 11, 2003

  2. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:51:47 -0400, "Cliff" <> wrote:

    >Has anyone used the Coolpix 4500 (or 950, 995) with a polarizer? I was ready
    >to buy but a camera store guy suggested I might not be able to see the
    >effect of the polarizer in the LCD screen. Any comments?
    >
    >There's a huge range of prices. Are the $50 plus filters worth the extra
    >money?
    >
    >Cliff

    I bought the Nikon set (forget the part number) for use with my 950
    and 995, and yes, you can see the effect on the LCD screen. It's not
    a dramatic effect, but then you probably will not want a dramatic
    effect on the picture either. As to cost, I seem to recall the set
    was in the $60 range, and frankly I don't use any of them as much as I
    initially expected. But for the occasional shot, they do what they
    are intended to do.

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Cliff

    Paul Worden Guest

    According to the Sony Forum, you don't need the expensive 'circular'
    polarisers with digital cameras. Buy a name brand linear.

    A polariser has its maximum effect when the camera is pointed at right
    angles to the sun. I can easily see the effect through the EVF but almost
    not at all on the LCD.

    --
    Paul Worden
    remove NOSPAM from email address to reply

    Paul Worden, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Cliff

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Paul Worden" <> wrote

    > According to the Sony Forum, you don't need the expensive 'circular'
    > polarisers with digital cameras. Buy a name brand linear.

    > A polariser has its maximum effect when the camera is pointed at right
    > angles to the sun. I can easily see the effect through the EVF but almost
    > not at all on the LCD.

    I'd go along with that. I do a lot of water shots with my 995, and bought a
    cheap Chinese PL filter via eBay US. Looking directly through the filter you
    can see it works, but once on the camera the difference can hardly be seen
    on the LCD - you basically have to note the best position of the revolving
    part by eye and put a spot of paint or correction fluid on the ring for
    reference. However, I find I rarely use the filter - too much trouble for
    the effect it has...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Cliff

    STIG Guest

    "Paul Worden" <> wrote in message
    > According to the Sony Forum, you don't need the expensive 'circular'
    > polarisers with digital cameras. Buy a name brand linear.
    >
    > A polariser has its maximum effect when the camera is pointed at right
    > angles to the sun. I can easily see the effect through the EVF but almost
    > not at all on the LCD.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Worden
    > remove NOSPAM from email address to reply

    I use a Cokin circular polarizer with my Nikon c4500 and I see a very
    definite effect on the lcd.

    Rob.

    STIG, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    Thanks to all for this info. Very useful. I always used one on my Pentax 35
    and left it on almost all the time but hadn't really thought about how hard
    it would be to see (with my fading eyesight) on the LCD.

    BTW, I upgraded from a 950. Loved the old camera but this one is enough
    better to justify the upgrade. The LCD is actually smaller but also brighter
    I believe.

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Cliff, Jul 11, 2003