    So, I have been thinking about trying a CRV3 li-Ion rechargable, but I
    don't care to add another charger to my collection, or its expense if
    not needed. Will the EH-61 AC adapter recharge a CRV3 inside the 3100?

    Danglerb, Sep 18, 2005

  2. Danglerb

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Danglerb" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Coolpix 3100 that we like, but it likes batteries WAY TOO
    > MUCH. Alkalines don't last 10 picts, first Nimh didn't do any better,
    > but that seems to have been related to being fully charged, so I have
    > switched to a Maha MH-C204F and haven't taken enough pictures to judge
    > (it does seem better).
    >
    > So, I have been thinking about trying a CRV3 li-Ion rechargable, but I
    > don't care to add another charger to my collection, or its expense if
    > not needed. Will the EH-61 AC adapter recharge a CRV3 inside the 3100?

    Dunno about that adapter, but it seems unlikely. Generally speaking (there
    are some exceptions), an AC adapter is just that, an AC adapter and not a
    battery charger.

    Do you have the manual for your Coolpix 3100? That may tell you what the AC
    adapter can do. If you don't have the manual you can download it from the
    Nikon site at www.nikonusa.com which also has manuals for the AC adapters
    and other accessories.

    Your best bet IMO is to stay with NiMH batteries and your very good Maha
    C204F charger anyway. NiMH cells are now much improved in capacity and quite
    inexpensive. I wouldn't even consider those CRV3 rechargeables.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Danglerb

    Danglerb Guest

    Nostrobino wrote:
    > "Danglerb" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a Coolpix 3100 that we like, but it likes batteries WAY TOO
    > > MUCH. Alkalines don't last 10 picts, first Nimh didn't do any better,
    > > but that seems to have been related to being fully charged, so I have
    > > switched to a Maha MH-C204F and haven't taken enough pictures to judge
    > > (it does seem better).
    > >
    > > So, I have been thinking about trying a CRV3 li-Ion rechargable, but I
    > > don't care to add another charger to my collection, or its expense if
    > > not needed. Will the EH-61 AC adapter recharge a CRV3 inside the 3100?

    > Dunno about that adapter, but it seems unlikely. Generally speaking (there
    > are some exceptions), an AC adapter is just that, an AC adapter and not a
    > battery charger.
    >
    > Do you have the manual for your Coolpix 3100? That may tell you what the AC
    > adapter can do. If you don't have the manual you can download it from the
    > Nikon site at www.nikonusa.com which also has manuals for the AC adapters
    > and other accessories.
    >
    > Your best bet IMO is to stay with NiMH batteries and your very good Maha
    > C204F charger anyway. NiMH cells are now much improved in capacity and quite
    > inexpensive. I wouldn't even consider those CRV3 rechargeables.
    >
    > N.

    I don't think it works, nothing explicit in the manuals and I have read
    both, the EH-61 is great, 12 pages long, with plug it in and be
    carefull in 12 languages.

    The Coolpix 3100 shipped new from the factory with a CRV3 battery, and
    it wasn't clear to me if it was a rechargable or not.

    This weekend I am going to a hamfest (nerd swapmeet) and will be
    talking to a couple of my battery saavy friends. Lithium rechargable
    technology is VERY nice, but I don't really want another charger if I
    can avoid it.

    Danglerb, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Danglerb

    ASAAR Guest

    On 18 Sep 2005 13:56:19 -0700, Danglerb wrote:

    > I have a Coolpix 3100 that we like, but it likes batteries WAY TOO
    > MUCH. Alkalines don't last 10 picts, first Nimh didn't do any better,
    > but that seems to have been related to being fully charged, so I have
    > switched to a Maha MH-C204F and haven't taken enough pictures to
    > judge (it does seem better).

    The following quote from imaging-resource.com is almost certainly
    referring to NiMH batteries. While the 83 minutes isn't a lot (and
    may be more than you're getting, the tip about disabling the LCD may
    be worth considering. It might even make alkaline AA batteries
    usable, although I wouldn't bet a lot on it.

    > Battery Life: The Coolpix 3100's battery life is slightly better than average
    > for a compact digicam, with a projected runtime of 83 minutes in its
    > worst-case power drain mode, and something on the order of 4 days (!)
    > of run time in capture mode with the LCD screen turned off. The
    > extremely low power drain with the LCD turned off is particularly
    > welcome, although the 3100's optical viewfinder isn't accurate enough
    > to rely on it for critical framing. (Not to preach too much about it, but
    > I really feel that consumer digicams should have optical viewfinders
    > with 90-95% frame coverage, rather than the 85% or so that's typical.)
    >
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3100/CP31A.HTM

    > So, I have been thinking about trying a CRV3 li-Ion rechargable, but I
    > don't care to add another charger to my collection, or its expense if
    > not needed. Will the EH-61 AC adapter recharge a CRV3 inside the 3100?

    I haven't seen the CP3100 manual, but the EH-61 manual says
    nothing about batteries. Nikon's spec's for the 3100 mention
    alkaline AAs, rechargeable NiMH AA batteries and the
    non-rechargeable lithium CRV3. I suspect that if the charger inside
    the camera is "smart" it might display a Battery Fault error message
    if it detects non-NiMH batteries. I not, and you try recharging a
    rechargeable lithium battery, there's a great risk of destroying the
    camera. Lithium batteries are dangerous if not charged properly.
    Unless you have a real need for using the EH-61 to power the camera
    instead of using it to recharge batteries, it's probably best not to
    buy one. You should be able to get a good NiMH charger for less
    than the EH-61, and unlike the EH-61, it would allow you to use the
    camera while recharging other sets of batteries. If you decide to
    get rechargeable lithium CRV3 batteries, you'll have to also get a
    charger specifically designed for them. They're unlikely to be cost
    effective compared to NiMH batteries since they're not only much
    more expensive, but lithium rechargeables age whether they're used
    or not, and you'll probably need to replace them every couple of
    years. For some, the convenience of lithiums might outweigh the
    much higher costs.

    ASAAR, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Danglerb

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Danglerb" <> wrote in message

    > Nostrobino wrote:
    >> "Danglerb" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Coolpix 3100 that we like, but it likes batteries WAY TOO
    >> > MUCH. Alkalines don't last 10 picts, first Nimh didn't do any better,
    >> > but that seems to have been related to being fully charged, so I have
    >> > switched to a Maha MH-C204F and haven't taken enough pictures to judge
    >> > (it does seem better).
    >> >
    >> > So, I have been thinking about trying a CRV3 li-Ion rechargable, but I
    >> > don't care to add another charger to my collection, or its expense if
    >> > not needed. Will the EH-61 AC adapter recharge a CRV3 inside the 3100?

    >> Dunno about that adapter, but it seems unlikely. Generally speaking
    >> (there
    >> are some exceptions), an AC adapter is just that, an AC adapter and not a
    >> battery charger.
    >>
    >> Do you have the manual for your Coolpix 3100? That may tell you what the
    >> AC
    >> adapter can do. If you don't have the manual you can download it from the
    >> Nikon site at www.nikonusa.com which also has manuals for the AC adapters
    >> and other accessories.
    >>
    >> Your best bet IMO is to stay with NiMH batteries and your very good Maha
    >> C204F charger anyway. NiMH cells are now much improved in capacity and
    >> quite
    >> inexpensive. I wouldn't even consider those CRV3 rechargeables.
    >>
    >> N.

    > I don't think it works, nothing explicit in the manuals and I have read
    > both, the EH-61 is great, 12 pages long, with plug it in and be
    > carefull in 12 languages.
    >
    > The Coolpix 3100 shipped new from the factory with a CRV3 battery, and
    > it wasn't clear to me if it was a rechargable or not.

    I doubt very much that it was. There is some confusion about lithium
    batteries, with some people apparently assuming they are rechargeable just
    because of the term lithium (i.e., confused with lithium ion). My nephew
    bought an Olympus C-4000 that came with a CRV3 and he thought it was
    rechargeable, but it was not. I think it's safe to assume that if a camera
    comes with any sort of battery not accompanied by a recharger, it's not
    rechargeable.

    > This weekend I am going to a hamfest (nerd swapmeet) and will be
    > talking to a couple of my battery saavy friends. Lithium rechargable
    > technology is VERY nice, but I don't really want another charger if I
    > can avoid it.

    I think the lithium technology used in rechargeable CRV3s is different from
    the usual lithium-ion rechargeables, but I could be wrong, must confess I
    really don't know about CRV3s.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 23, 2005