    "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    I came, I saw, I stuck around"

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Matthew Poole

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:50:11 GMT, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > I've just upgraded to a 3400+, and it's running a little warmer than I'm
    > happy with - Hits 48 degrees doing long compiles.
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for good coolers? I'm not even
    > considering the water option, but most other suggestions are welcome.
    > The case has plenty of airflow, so it's not a question of needing better
    > ventilation - The 3000+ it's replacing was only getting to about 38
    > degrees on the same compiles.

    Apparently the temp reported is highly unreliable. I've had my 3000+ with
    boot up temps as low as 12c (mb temp was 45.........) and as high as 55c at
    boot (when mb temp was... 45....)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Old age is the most unexpected of all the things that happen to a man." -- Leon Trotsky

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/09/2004 8:03:56 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Matthew Poole

    colinco Guest

    In article Matthew Poole says...
    > I've just upgraded to a 3400+, and it's running a little warmer than I'm
    > happy with - Hits 48 degrees doing long compiles.

    Are you worried that it is under reporting the temps because you have
    faults or is it running OK? 48 is nothing to be concerned about.
    colinco, Sep 23, 2004
  4. In article <>, colinco <> wrote:
    >In article Matthew Poole says...
    >> I've just upgraded to a 3400+, and it's running a little warmer than I'm
    >> happy with - Hits 48 degrees doing long compiles.
    >>

    >Are you worried that it is under reporting the temps because you have
    >faults or is it running OK? 48 is nothing to be concerned about.

    It's running fine. And I know that 48 isn't particularly high, but the
    temperature here also hasn't broken 16 degrees for months. My concern
    is how it will cope when the ambient temperature is around 30.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand

    Matthew Poole, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Matthew Poole

    Tim Guest

    Hi,

    Take a look over at Zalman: http://www.zalman.co.kr/

    They have an excellent reputation for efficient and quiet coolers.

    However before you change, I suggest some research - product reviews and
    some logic.

    First off, it is surprising how often CPU's are not optimally mounted. If
    you are getting consistent temp readings without sharp swings to high values
    then perhaps the CPU is mounted OK. There may be room for improvement - I
    suggest a read of the instructions over at www.arcticsilver.com to see what
    they say about mounting heatsinks.

    The external temp of 16 is irrelevant, what is the ambient temp in the room?
    I hope you don't sit there and freeze in a 16c room? If you were then CPU of
    48 in a room of 16 is a concern and explains your query well.

    First things would be to confirm the ambient temp of the room and use this
    as the base for all recordings. Second, the internal case temparature. Any
    substantial rise in temp from room to case (Delta) internal indicates
    insufficient air circulation in the case. There is a fast fix for this:
    install a side vent and tube to provide cool air directly to the CPU fan.

    The critical "Delta" is case internal temp to CPU temp. A simple check here
    is to take the side off the computer. If the CPU temp drops markedly then
    there is insufficient air circulation in the case - no amount of effort in
    improving CPU cooling will result in much unless you cause the heat to be
    carried straight out (EG water cooling). Consider installing fans, improving
    air flow, checking fan and air direction (in in the front, out at the rear).

    HTH
    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Matthew Poole wrote:
    > I've just upgraded to a 3400+, and it's running a little warmer than I'm
    > happy with - Hits 48 degrees doing long compiles.

    shit... thank god you didn't get a P4... it'd be that at idle.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Matthew Poole

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:
    >
    >> I've just upgraded to a 3400+, and it's running a little warmer than
    >> I'm happy with - Hits 48 degrees doing long compiles.

    > shit... thank god you didn't get a P4... it'd be that at idle.

    I'll bite...:) I've got a Presc(h)ott 3.2GHz, CPU runs at 100% 24x7
    crunching seti. Current temp is 48 Degrees, this has been since I used
    some Arctic Silver ceramique compound, great stuff dropped the temp down
    4 degrees.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Sep 24, 2004
  8. Malcolm wrote:
    >>> I've just upgraded to a 3400+, and it's running a little warmer than
    >>> I'm happy with - Hits 48 degrees doing long compiles.

    >> shit... thank god you didn't get a P4... it'd be that at idle.

    > I'll bite...:) I've got a Presc(h)ott 3.2GHz, CPU runs at 100% 24x7
    > crunching seti. Current temp is 48 Degrees, this has been since I used
    > some Arctic Silver ceramique compound, great stuff dropped the temp down
    > 4 degrees.

    ok well done, you must have a decent cooler and well ventilated fan.

    I've had to turn off seti on my work machine(a Dell Optiplex) during
    work hours as it kept hitting 78C and my machine would drop to a crawl
    as it began thermal throttling.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 24, 2004
  9. Matthew Poole

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> shit... thank god you didn't get a P4... it'd be that at idle.

    >> I'll bite...:) I've got a Presc(h)ott 3.2GHz, CPU runs at 100% 24x7
    >> crunching seti. Current temp is 48 Degrees, this has been since I used
    >> some Arctic Silver ceramique compound, great stuff dropped the temp
    >> down 4 degrees.

    > ok well done, you must have a decent cooler and well ventilated fan.
    >
    > I've had to turn off seti on my work machine(a Dell Optiplex) during
    > work hours as it kept hitting 78C and my machine would drop to a crawl
    > as it began thermal throttling.

    CoolerMaster Aero 4 now, was stock. Thermaltake case with 120mm front, 2
    80mm on the side (low speed ones) and 80mm rear that came with the
    Thermaltake PSU.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Sep 24, 2004
  10. Matthew Poole

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On , , Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:53:16 +1200, Re: Cooling
    recommendations for A64 3400+, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >The external temp of 16 is irrelevant, what is the ambient temp in the room?
    >I hope you don't sit there and freeze in a 16c room?

    16c isn't particularly cool, I sit around with my sleeves rolled
    up in that kind of temperature.
    Damon Nomad, Oct 4, 2004
  11. Matthew Poole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Damon Nomad wrote:
    > On , , Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:53:16 +1200, Re: Cooling
    > recommendations for A64 3400+, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The external temp of 16 is irrelevant, what is the ambient temp in
    >> the room? I hope you don't sit there and freeze in a 16c room?

    > 16c isn't particularly cool, I sit around with my sleeves rolled
    > up in that kind of temperature.

    Our house is regularly 16°C or less in winter. Good for the PCs, bad for the
    humans.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 4, 2004
  12. Matthew Poole

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:53:03 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Damon Nomad wrote:
    >> On , , Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:53:16 +1200, Re: Cooling
    >> recommendations for A64 3400+, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The external temp of 16 is irrelevant, what is the ambient temp in
    >>> the room? I hope you don't sit there and freeze in a 16c room?

    >> 16c isn't particularly cool, I sit around with my sleeves rolled
    >> up in that kind of temperature.

    >Our house is regularly 16°C or less in winter. Good for the PCs, bad for the
    >humans.

    True. This was on teletext a short while ago:

    Poor insulation blamed for deaths
    Cold and damp houses are being blamed
    for hundreds of deaths each year.

    Statistics New Zealand figures show
    hundreds more people die in winter
    than in summer. Chief demographer
    Monsoor Khawaja says 600 more people
    aged over 50 die in July to September
    than in January to March.

    Phillippa Howden-Chapman, a researcher
    at the Wellington Medical School, says
    up to a quarter of New Zealand houses
    have no insulation at all.

    I had written to the ministers of housing and energy about remedies
    for this and got a reply the other day. There is a scheme where the
    gov. are "funding the installation of cost-effective energy efficiency
    measures in existing houses occupied by people on low incomes". If
    you have a Communite Services card you may qualify. Check out
    www.eeca.govt.nz . New building regulations will soon require houses
    in Sth Island and central plateau of Nth Island to have double
    glazing. About time. Then you will need a bigger heatsink.
    GraB, Oct 5, 2004
  13. Matthew Poole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:53:03 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Damon Nomad wrote:

    >>> 16c isn't particularly cool, I sit around with my sleeves rolled
    >>> up in that kind of temperature.

    >> Our house is regularly 16°C or less in winter. Good for the PCs, bad
    >> for the humans.

    > True. This was on teletext a short while ago:
    >
    > Poor insulation blamed for deaths
    > Cold and damp houses are being blamed
    > for hundreds of deaths each year.
    >
    > Statistics New Zealand figures show
    > hundreds more people die in winter
    > than in summer. Chief demographer
    > Monsoor Khawaja says 600 more people
    > aged over 50 die in July to September
    > than in January to March.
    >
    > Phillippa Howden-Chapman, a researcher
    > at the Wellington Medical School, says
    > up to a quarter of New Zealand houses
    > have no insulation at all.
    >
    > I had written to the ministers of housing and energy about remedies
    > for this and got a reply the other day. There is a scheme where the
    > gov. are "funding the installation of cost-effective energy efficiency
    > measures in existing houses occupied by people on low incomes". If
    > you have a Communite Services card you may qualify. Check out
    > www.eeca.govt.nz . New building regulations will soon require houses
    > in Sth Island and central plateau of Nth Island to have double
    > glazing. About time. Then you will need a bigger heatsink.

    Interesting, thanks. We have no fireplace or anything here (rented home) and
    can't afford to run the fan heater. The only heating we can afford really is
    electric blankets so it's early to bed in winter.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2004
  14. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Interesting, thanks. We have no fireplace or anything here (rented home) and
    > can't afford to run the fan heater. The only heating we can afford really is
    > electric blankets so it's early to bed in winter.

    body heat is good for keeping warm :)

    you might want to suggest it to the mrs as a power saving measure.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2004
  15. Matthew Poole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Interesting, thanks. We have no fireplace or anything here (rented
    >> home) and can't afford to run the fan heater. The only heating we
    >> can afford really is electric blankets so it's early to bed in
    >> winter.

    > body heat is good for keeping warm :)
    >
    > you might want to suggest it to the mrs as a power saving measure.

    She suggests it to me all the time. A man can only do so much! ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2004
  16. Matthew Poole

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > She suggests it to me all the time. A man can only do so much! ;-)

    But can a man do more than a misfit? :cool:

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 5, 2004
  17. Matthew Poole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> She suggests it to me all the time. A man can only do so much! ;-)

    > But can a man do more than a misfit? :cool:

    I doubt it. <G>
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:39:58 +1300, GraB <> says...

    The effects of cold temperatures on mechanical components such as hard
    drives should be considered, if you turn your PC on and off.

    I saw one case of replacement of a relatively new HDD. The computer was
    in a room of an old drafty house that was not heated in winter.
    Coincident?
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 5, 2004